ADVERTISEMENT

NO BTN IN FLORIDA. SOLUTIONS FOR GETTING GAMES ON MY TV,NOT INTERNET

beaced

Hall of Famer
Jul 18, 2004
sunrise fl
Hey Guys,this is like DeJaVu.Some time ago a number of you were kind enough to suggest ways to do something with my TV.I have 3 ports . One a USB,one an HMDL and another USB. What can I buy that will get me the games.I can buy BTN2G PLUS for 14.95 a month,but I would prefer the comfort of watching it in my lounger in my bedroom on TV.(where I can switch channels to other games if needed,as in the past.Thanks again in advance.

Hey Guys,this is like DeJaVu.Some time ago a number of you were kind enough to suggest ways to do something with my TV.I have 3 ports . One a USB,one an HMDL and another USB. What can I buy that will get me the games.I can buy BTN2G PLUS for 14.95 a month,but I would prefer the comfort of watching it in my lounger in my bedroom on TV.(where I can switch channels to other games if needed,as in the past.Thanks again in advance.
I have it on fios/frontier.

Direct TV carries it in Central FL. Don't know about the rest of the state.

Comcast/Infinity dropped it about four months ago here in central Florida.

Comcast/Infinity dropped it about four months ago here in central Florida.

Same in Palm Beach County. Disappeared right before the RU-UMd Lax game. Haven't been down there for several weeks but assuming status has not changed.

Mom lives in Sunrise right next to Ft Lauderdale. Pretty sure she hasAT not and she has btn

There are a few steps here.. have not done it myself but looked it up.

Lets assume the answer is streaming.. that you have broadband internet to your home.. or even unlimited data in 4G LTE on your phone.. though that should be costly unless you go android with Google fi.. unlimited is $60 for data.. I think $20-$30 everything else. The real limit to streaming speeds at this price is 15GB.. then speed drops.

So, assuming you have internet speeds to stream, you then need a BTNplus subscription.. $79 a year.

https://www.btn2go.com/packages?type=0

Then you sign up for a BTNgo account.

You will then be able to browse to BTNgo to find your game and view it on a computer. There are apps for your phone/tablet to view it there.

Then you need away to view streaming content on your TV.

I have Google Chromecast ultra. It is a USB dongle you plug into a TV's USB port. From the chrome web browser it is very easy to "Cast" the contents of a tab, or my whole desktop, to the TV through the Chromecast Ultra.

Similar product is an Amazon Fire stick.

Other products might be a Roku streaming device. I know there is a native BTNplus app for the Roku. There are many Roku products.. and some smart TVs have Roku inside. I think the $99 Roku ultra might be the thing for you if you know you will watch on a certain TV all the time.

The way you would watch is to use the TV remove to change the TV input to the HDMI port connected to the Roku device. Then you can use the Roku's remote to do everything.. find the BTN plus app and find your game and start streaming.

(switching channels is not as smooth.. you would switch INPUTS on the TV back to your regular TV tuner... then use the TV remote to find your channel.. then switch inputs back tot eh Roku device and hopefully, it will still be streaming your game.. I assume this was a switch for timeouts, commercials, etc)

But if you might watch in different places... well.. I guess you could unplug the Roku and move it. It is small. But that Roku device needs to be connected to the internet... either via wifi or hard wired. The same would be true for any device using a streaming solution. But if you will move from TV to TV.. perhaps streaming off your phone/computer/tablet.. connected to different Chromecast sticks or Fire sticks.. might be the answer. Some smart TVs can be "cast" to without a special device.. some samsungs for instance, might appear as a device you may "cast" to.

There are other streaming devices as well.. like Amazon Fire TV cube (and Prime Day is right around the corner.. can probably get deals if you are an amazon prime member).

Here's a link on how to watch BTN without cable

Last edited:

Lets assume the answer is streaming.. that you have broadband internet to your home.. or even unlimited data in 4G LTE on your phone.. though that should be costly unless you go android with Google fi.. unlimited is $60 for data.. I think $20-$30 everything else. The real limit to streaming speeds at this price is 15GB.. then speed drops.

So, assuming you have internet speeds to stream, you then need a BTNplus subscription.. $79 a year.

You will then be able to browse to BTNgo to find your game and view it on a computer. There are apps for your phone/tablet to view it there.

I have Google Chromecast ultra. It is a USB dongle you plug into a TV's USB port. From the chrome web browser it is very easy to "Cast" the contents of a tab, or my whole desktop, to the TV through the Chromecast Ultra.

Other products might be a Roku streaming device. I know there is a native BTNplus app for the Roku. There are many Roku products.. and some smart TVs have Roku inside. I think the $99 Roku ultra might be the thing for you if you know you will watch on a certain TV all the time.

The way you would watch is to use the TV remove to change the TV input to the HDMI port connected to the Roku device. Then you can use the Roku's remote to do everything.. find the BTN plus app and find your game and start streaming.

(switching channels is not as smooth.. you would switch INPUTS on the TV back to your regular TV tuner... then use the TV remote to find your channel.. then switch inputs back tot eh Roku device and hopefully, it will still be streaming your game.. I assume this was a switch for timeouts, commercials, etc)

But if you might watch in different places... well.. I guess you could unplug the Roku and move it. It is small. But that Roku device needs to be connected to the internet... either via wifi or hard wired. The same would be true for any device using a streaming solution. But if you will move from TV to TV.. perhaps streaming off your phone/computer/tablet.. connected to different Chromecast sticks or Fire sticks.. might be the answer. Some smart TVs can be "cast" to without a special device.. some samsungs for instance, might appear as a device you may "cast" to.

There are other streaming devices as well.. like Amazon Fire TV cube (and Prime Day is right around the corner.. can probably get deals if you are an amazon prime member).

Thank you very much. I'll give this a shot and figure out what is best for my needs. Thank you once more.

If your cable provider does not have BTN, then you can still watch it on your TV. You can run an HDMI cable from your laptop to a free HDMI input on your TV and just switch the source. If your laptop does not have an HDMI outlet then use the mini display port on your laptop and get a mini display port to HDMI adapter and then run the HDMI cable to the TV. Alternatively you can get a Google chrome cast device and stream B1G network to your TV from your laptop to the chrome cast device attached to one of your HDMI inputs on the TV.

Reactions: RUMountie

unless something changed, that Btn2go subscription is only good for non-televised BTN Plus games (I.e. not football games).

with roku's app, you need to sign in with your cable/dish/web tv provider to view televised BTN games.

i got playstation tv for this purpose last year, and there are a few other options at like 40 to 50/ month.

Comcast is dropping BTN from states where the conf does not have a resident school. FL would be on that list. You should double check your subscription.

Thx, just checked and no more BTN in FL. No longer in my channel lineup and I have the upgraded sports package. I will be looking for a streaming solution like others here.

Condo association buys Comcast.Residents pay in monthly maintenance fee. No Dishes allowed.
They can not legally do that. Section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 prevents them from doing so.

Will this allow you to watch games that are televised on btn (thru BTN2Go )? That was not clear on the link.

I live in The Villages in central (sorta) FL and was very dismayed and angry when Comcast dropped BTN with no warning. I did my research and while I tried YouTube TV, I have since gone to Dish which has the main BTN and 9 alternate channels so you can see lots of regional broadcasts. Turns out I am spending a lot less money with one more TV added than I was with Comcast. I did keep Xfinity/Comcast for internet, have Dish for TV only. It is my understanding that you can't stream BTN2Go without a subscription so that doesn't do any good. And, as mentioned, they don't stream football games that are televised on the network.

Reactions: mikefla
I live in The Villages in central (sorta) FL and was very dismayed and angry when Comcast dropped BTN with no warning. I did my research and while I tried YouTube TV, I have since gone to Dish which has the main BTN and 9 alternate channels so you can see lots of regional broadcasts. Turns out I am spending a lot less money with one more TV added than I was with Comcast. I did keep Xfinity/Comcast for internet, have Dish for TV only. It is my understanding that you can't stream BTN2Go without a subscription so that doesn't do any good. And, as mentioned, they don't stream football games that are televised on the network.
So The Villages was okay with having a dish out the window/rood?

So The Villages was okay with having a dish out the window/rood?
Yes, as long as it's on the side or back. It may also be what section of The Villages you are in too.....I am between Rts. 441 and 466. I can only say I haven't had anyone come say to take it down - and sure hope they don't since I have a two year commitment!

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Not all channels broadcast in every market. Was just trying to be helpful. Should have know better on here, No wonder you have over 18,000 posts. Get a life!
Jeez. First the BTN network is listed as a national sports network on DirecTV. It is not a regional sports Network that is only shown in its local market. Second I was just trying to be helpful as well Francis, lighten up.

If you have a smart tv, DirecTV has a streaming option called DirecTV Now. The $50 package will get you BTN (among 80+ other channels). No need for the satellite dish. If you don't have a smart TV, I'd go to Costco and grab a TCL brand Roku tv. They have a 55" for $289.

If you have a smart tv, DirecTV has a streaming option called DirecTV Now. The $50 package will get you BTN (among 80+ other channels). No need for the satellite dish. If you don't have a smart TV, I'd go to Costco and grab a TCL brand Roku tv. They have a 55" for $289.
Sounds good, @beaced ?

Sony's PS Vue offers BTN.

If you have a PS4 or a Sony TV you have the app. You can also download the app to other smart devices.

Comcast is dropping BTN from states where the conf does not have a resident school. FL would be on that list. You should double check your subscription.

"is dropping", or has dropped.

not the same thing.

"is dropping" most likely means BTN and Comcast are in negotiations for carriage fees.

"has dropped", means negotiations have stalled so long that there is no longer a contract for carriage, and neither side is giving in. (middle of summer no one cares. when fball season starts, good chance one might blink). or not.

that said, any cable company is more than glad to carry such a channel.

if BTN goes dark, it's because BTN isn't allowing your cable provider to carry it.

everyone blames the cable company, but in reality, it's always the network itself that pulls it off the air, if indeed it gets pulled.

this whole song and dance should never even be allowed by law to happen, and is only due to the forced bundle which could never exist absent total corruption of govt, including the courts.

all channels not owned by the same entity, including BTN, should be mandated as ala carte. (or if News Corp wishes to package all their Fox channels as one, so be it).

that way, the consumer themselves can decide if he or she wishes to pay or a channel, (or a whole News Corp/Fox package if News Corp/Fox wishes to go that route).

then the cable company isn't saddled with deciding which channels you do and don't get.. you choose for yourself which ones you want to pay for.

and everyone else isn't forced to pay for a channel they don't want to pay for.

like i said, this is only an issue because of total and complete corruption in govt, including the courts.

if you called your congressman as to why you can't get it, and those who do get it but don't want to pay for it, called their congressman too and bitched about why they are forced to pay for it when they don't want it, this would no longer occur.

but you don't call yours, and they don't call their congressman. and money hungry politicians don't bite the hand that pays them, unless forced to.

until this is done, you cable bill will always be absurdly out of control, and this tug of war will never cease.

Thank you very much. I'll give this a shot and figure out what is best for my needs. Thank you once more.

Tell you what beaced, I'm a RU prof and long-time season ticket holder spending this season on W. Las Olas. You figure all this out, invite me over, and I'll do the refreshments BIG time! :)

Reactions: Knight Shift
Sony's PS Vue offers BTN.

If you have a PS4 or a Sony TV you have the app. You can also download the app to other smart devices.
If I recall correctly, @beaced is a little past the PS4 age group, but what do I know--perhaps he has grandchildren that use PS4.

We had Sony PS Vue, and we generally liked it. We ultimately got a package from FIOS that worked for us and switched, but I would consider going back to PS Vue.

Will this allow you to watch games that are televised on btn (thru BTN2Go )? That was not clear on the link.
No, BTNplus only has BTN games.

But think of it like the ESPN array of games.. some are on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNnews and ABC of course. But they also have games they stream.. ESPN3 it is called now.. used to be ESPN360. As long as you had a login to a cable company account that had an agreement with ESPN to carry ESPN3, you could watch ANY of those games as long as you had internet.

I expect a similar thing is true for BTNplus.

Many games of Big Ten teams will be on the other networks. BTNplus can do nothing for you there, afaik. But you should be able to find alternate ways to stream those games.. through ESPN, etc.

But many games are carried on BTN and on BTNplus. Here is BTN's schedule for the first 3 weeks.. BTN has out Texas State and Ohio State games. Week 3 we are at Kansas on Fox Sports... so BTN will have nothing to do with that.

Week 1

Game Date Time (ET)
New Mexico State at Minnesota Thursday, Aug. 30 7 p.m.
Utah State at Michigan State Friday, Aug. 31 7 p.m.
Kent State at Illinois Saturday, Sept. 1 Noon
Texas State at Rutgers Saturday, Sept. 1 Noon
Appalachian State at Penn State Saturday, Sept. 1 3:30 p.m.
Northern Illinois at Iowa Saturday, Sept. 1 3:30 p.m.

Week 2

Game Date Time (ET)
New Mexico at Wisconsin Saturday, Sept. 8 Noon
Eastern Michigan at Purdue Saturday, Sept. 8 Noon
Rutgers at Ohio State Saturday, Sept. 8 3:30 p.m.
Virginia at Indiana Saturday, Sept. 8 7:30 p.m.
Western Illinois at Illinois Saturday, Sept. 8 7:30 p.m.

Week 3

Game Date Time (ET)
Troy at Nebraska Saturday, Sept. 15 Noon
Temple at Maryland Saturday, Sept. 15 Noon
Ball State at Indiana Saturday, Sept. 15 Noon
SMU at Michigan Saturday, Sept. 15 3:30 p.m.
South Florida vs. Illinois (at Soldier Field) Saturday, Sept. 15 3:30 p.m.
Miami (Ohio) at Minnesota Saturday, Sept. 15 3:30 p.m.
Missouri at Purdue Saturday, Sept. 15 7:30 p.m.
Northern Iowa at Iowa Saturday, Sept. 15 7:30 p.m.
Akron at Northwestern Saturday, Sept. 15 7:30 p.m.

Next question: Is Comcast dropping SEC Network from states where the conference doesn't have a resident school? If not, then I suspect ESPN is throwing its weight around on behalf of the SEC. BTN needs Fox to step up to the plate for them.

Yes, as long as it's on the side or back. It may also be what section of The Villages you are in too.....I am between Rts. 441 and 466. I can only say I haven't had anyone come say to take it down - and sure hope they don't since I have a two year commitment!
@Jscheaffel Which village are you in? I'm in De La Vista North. For now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT