ADVERTISEMENT

Now that we've seen Michigan twice. What changes does Pike make

red sail

All Conference
Oct 11, 2007
Now that we've seen Michigan twice. What changes do you think Pike makes or should make in this game.

I know we've talked about hedging in other posts. But they burned us multiple times when Carter and Myles hedging above the elbow and then losing sight of his coverage of Teske / Austin Davis. We did a much better job the last 3 games at this.
Need to limit Simpson's dribble drive and dish. Tez and Young will have to be in this kid's jock all afternoon.
We just have to hope that Johns or Brooks don't have another career night of shooting from 3. Johns had a season high 20 against us at the garden.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
Continue to dare Simpson to beat us from outside
and don’t let him into the lane. He burned us early a couple of times last game from outside and that was it. Have to close out on the 3s much better than we have.

Johnson, McConnell, and Mathis didn’t score the last game against them and they need to step up.

Continue to dare Simpson to beat us from outside
and don’t let him into the lane. He burned us early a couple of times last game for outside and that was it. Have to close out on the 3s much better than we have.

Johnson, McConnell, and Mathis didn’t score the last game against them and they need to step up.

we let Simpson shoot from outside and his first 3 pointer he hit it from the top of the arc...

Reactions: SirScarlet
I think the last gameplan will work. Make layups and push the ball up the court fast if they put their big lineup in. Make them pay. I thought thelast game we played well. We held them to 60. We shot horribly and it wasnt their defense that caused it.

Make Livers play defense. I've read hes been the weak link on defense since hes back.

First game the moment was too big for us, having just been ranked. So many missed/ill-advised shots. Second game we looked tired, shot 25%/ 0-10 from 3 in the 2nd half and faded. I really think if we just make shots, we'll be fine. I don't buy the bad matchup stuff. We'll be more rested and prepared to play a big game this time around.

Last edited:
The issue was offense both times. Be strong with the ball and limit the stupid shots.

Issue is it’s a different team with Livers.

The easy answer is attack the rim and get their bigs in foul trouble. Their size has caused serious issues.

I think the last gameplan will work. Make layups and push the ball up the court fast if they put their big lineup in. Make them pay. I thought thelast game we played well. We held them to 60. We shot horribly and it wasnt their defense that caused it.

Make Livers play defense. I've read hes been the weak link on defense since hes back.
That's interesting about Livers. Attack him with Harper and Yeboah?

We need to play the D we played in the second game. We held them to 10 points below their average. We need our O to play better.

Just finished re-watching the second game. We were there at the three minute mark when Brooks hit a long three with time running down to make it a nine point game. We missed some easy shots and had a couple of defensive lapses. Mathis didn't play at the end, but based on the last couple of games, he'll be in and Paul will sit so that might make a difference. If we continue to hit three pointers like in the last couple of games, we'll be right there. Livers will play this time, so it'll be a tough game. However, I think we're playing with a lot of confidence and will beat Michigan.

Young with defense. Play him as much as possible
Do not keep forcing ball in to middle. Michigan too tall.
Take lots of threes or step back 2’s. Hope we are hitting. If not, chances of rebound are better on long rebounds.
Don’t get burned on pass down low or crosscourt to open 3.

I really think Michigan caught us at the right time when they played us. Both games were during our slump and while Baker was searching for his old self.
Totally different RU team this time around.

(fingers crossed)

Reactions: dkostus and Scangg
Nothing to lose today. Hope we play loose and hit our shots.

Would be good to get our first win against Michigan.

Go Rutgers!

Make Simpson go left. Every time. He can't hit that crazy running hook with left hand (right??)

And guard the 3 line every time he penetrates.

I just watched the UMD vs UM game from March 8 at the Terps. Simpson prefers and is more effective driving to his right finishing with that baby hook or finger roll when he goes to the hoop. When he does drive to his left it's not as effective and he seems to push an often weak 1 handed left hand pass.

Reactions: Scangg
Simpson is the best passer in the B1G. We need to lock him down using Young, Tez and Caleb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT