ADVERTISEMENT

O.T.Gene Michael dead at 79

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
The GM of the Yankees in the early 90's passed away as a result of a heart attack.

The former infielder once pitched for the Yankees in 1968 as well.

Probably more responsible for setting up the Yankees championships from the mid-1990s to early 2000s than anyone else in management and being able to run the team in a less petulant way than suspended owner George Steinbrenner. I don't think the Yankees win as many World Series as they did without Gene "Stick" Michael. R.I.P.

Probably more responsible for setting up the Yankees championships from the mid-1990s to early 2000s than anyone else in management and being able to run the team in a less petulant way than suspended owner George Steinbrenner. I don't think the Yankees win as many World Series as they did without Gene "Stick" Michael. R.I.P.

The way he and Buck Showalter were let go, was a disgrace. Joe Torre benefited.

Yes, Stick was responsible for the amazing 90s run and Joe Torre got the credit.

I'm a Mets fan but always loved Stick.

Roberto Kelly for Paul O'neill, thanks for everything, RIP. Used to see him at the Borgata poker room all the time.

Played poker with him a couple of times there. Nice quiet guy and very unassuming. Although it was kind of funny once when I was seated directly to his left. He had on a Yankees jacket, a Yankees cap and was wearing a Worlds Series Champions ring but was getting annoyed that people were recognizing and coming up to him! RIP Gene

Damn.Can't believe it. RIP Stick! He brought the Yankees back, and revived the dynasty.

Remember how, on more than one occasion, he pulled the hidden ball trick. As a shortstop he caught the opposing runner off of second.

Gene Michael lived in my hometown of Norwood, NJ in the 70s. When I was about 15, he came into the restaurant where I was a busboy. He was pals with the owner. Towards closing time, there were only three people left in the place: the owner, GM, and me. The owner left the bar area to close out the books in his office leaving GM alone with me. There was an overflowing garbage can behind the bar. GM said to me, "Hey kid, empty that garbage can." There was no "please." No, "Can you do me a favor?" Because of his poor attitude, I replied, "I don't work for you." Well I knew immediately that I would regret that. When the owner returned to the bar area, GM had a word with him. The owner then turned to me and screamed that if Gene Michael tells you to do something, you do it.

I never liked the guy after that.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Gene Michael lived in my hometown of Norwood, NJ in the 70s. When I was about 15, he came into the restaurant where I was a busboy. He was pals with the owner. Towards closing time, there were only three people left in the place: the owner, GM, and me. The owner left the bar area to close out the books in his office leaving GM alone with me. There was an overflowing garbage can behind the bar. GM said to me, "Hey kid, empty that garbage can." There was no "please." No, "Can you do me a favor?" Because of his poor attitude, I replied, "I don't work for you." Well I knew immediately that I would regret that. When the owner returned to the bar area, GM had a word with him. The owner then turned to me and screamed that if Gene Michael tells you to do something, you do it.

I never liked the guy after that.
True story, the last time I saw Gene Michael was in Trenton about 10 years ago taking out the garbage!
I was at an event in the large suite behind home plate at Waterfront (Arm & Hammer) Park and Stick was actually changing out garbage bags next to the buffet and bar.
One would think that George was keeping him in the organization but giving him menial tasks, but actually Stick was taking charge of a situation that the hospitality staff was lax on and being a good host for the event.
People actually jumped up to help Stick, embarrassed to witness him doing such in his Yankee gear.

Last edited:
First played for the Pirates in 1966 - remember thinking it was unique that a team would have 2 shortstops named "Gene" - Gene Alley & Gene Michael

Sad day for Yankee fans. Condolences to the entire Michael family. Those of you who had the chance to meet/know him, thanks for sharing those stories.

Don't ask me why, but a 1975 Gene Michael card was one of my prize possessions as a 5 year old. I loved anything Yankees. I though I had a real gem.

Don't know where to start. He was one of my favorite players. Apparently a great man. Met him once when I was a young teenager. Great man.

He always hated garbage.

I couldn't help but laugh at the the two posts before yours followed by this. Sounds almost like a Seinfeld episode.

"He always hated garbage".

RIP. Apparently great at recognizing talent also. I didn't know much about him until yesterday.

Met him a few times. Absolute gentleman. Liked his white wine.

RIP.

I remember as a kid he came to our school. Everyone got to meet him and ask him a question. I asked him who was the toughest hitter the Yankees faced and he responded quickly: "Tony Oliva."

I don't know why but I was more of a Horace Clarke fan.

Liked his Sports Machine show on Sunday nights back in the day
Kidding I'm sure.
Stick had that distinctive crow hop on his throws to first base. As kids, my friends and I could emulate every player on the Mets and Yankees... batting stance, catching and throwing style.
I think I can still do most of them

Last edited:
Reactions: JMD77
RIP Stick! Had a great eye for talent.
I actually graduated NVOT with his daughter Sandy, a cutie!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT