ADVERTISEMENT

OT: U.L. Washington, R.I.P.

PiscatawayMike

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
Scarlet Knight Country!
A solid player known for the ubiquitous toothpick he played with in his mouth.

Yankees fans remember him well. He played for Kansas City when beating the Royals brought as much joy as beating the Red Sox.

R.I.P.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/04/sport...helped-royals-to-first-al-pennant-dead-at-70/

GHytmScW8AAtad8.jpg

Still don't get the toothpick, but left a lasting impression for sure

Man, I miss those days of collecting those classic old school cards. So simple, yet so great. Not like when they flooded the market in the 80's and what they issue now. I'm in a couple of Facebook groups where they talk about current cards and it's strictly a money grab now with all the 1/1's and fancy crap they have out now.

Man, I miss those days of collecting those classic old school cards. So simple, yet so great. Not like when they flooded the market in the 80's and what they issue now. I'm in a couple of Facebook groups where they talk about current cards and it's strictly a money grab now with all the 1/1's and fancy crap they have out now.
The whole appeal of it was lost. I’m going to sound like an old fart but that’s fine. When you went to the store in the spring and the new cards came out you just hoped you hit the lottery with great players in your pack and, of course, that damn gum! Buying whole packs each year totally eliminated the lottery effect of it.

Also recognize the passing of ex Pirate Catcher Ed Ott. Always heard that he was one of the toughest men in MLB at the time. Remember one day when he body slammed Felix Millan after breaking up a DP. Interested to hear what @zappaa could tell us about him.
Another member of the Family is gone.
R.I.P.

Last edited:
Also recognize the passing of ex Pirate Catcher Ed Ott. Always heard that he was one of the toughest men in MLB at the time. Remember one day when he body slammed Felix Millan after breaking up a DP. Interested to hear what @zappaa could tell us about him.
Another member of the Family is gone.
R.I.P>
Ed Ott... shortest name in MLB history.

R.I.P.

Reactions: RU from Jersey
don't know how many cards I ruined putting in spokes or flipped gambling cards against other kids trying to win their cards .
That was before value of cards was such a big thing and treated like money.

Reactions: MURF87
Baseball players seem to constantly chew and spit.
I'll try watching and TV will focus tight on a guy in dugout and suddenly a goober is hanging from his lips

I read an article that growing up he always had a blade a grass in his mouth. Since the Royals (and a lot of other teams played on turf), he decided to use the toothpick as a replacement.

RIP. Will always remember him for all those battles against the Yankees and the toothpick. We all mimic'd him when playing wiffle ball back in the day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT