ADVERTISEMENT

Observations from Practice

I'm really confused why you are talking about Issa Thiam's game 2-4 years after he leaves Rutgers.

He won't develop enough physically while in college to be that impact shooter people hope he will. Open 3 shooter. Which could be helpful.

He won't develop enough physically while in college to be that impact shooter people hope he will. Open 3 shooter. Which could be helpful.

Okay....so maybe we should have redshirted Thiam or any future tall and lanky recruits for 2-4 years each so they can grow into their bodies. Or, send them on a Mormon type mission for a few years......lol

Last edited:
Okay....so maybe we should have redshirted Thiam or any future tall and lanky recruits for 2-4 years each so they can grow into their bodies. Or, send them on a Mormon type mission for a few years......lol

Pikiell DID say during the off season that both Thiam and Omoruyi would have benefited greatly from a red shirt season, but that due to the construct of last season's rosters he could not red shirt either or both of them.

So, maybe not red shirt all such players, but there are reasons to red shirt, occasionally, even in basketball (Wisconsin seems to do so more than most, though not every year), if possible.

Reactions: RUsojo
Some other observations / comments from the practice:

- Coach Pikiell spoke to the fans advising us that this group likes to practice and there are no issues - unlike last year.
- And the practice was intense and long - approx 2 hours.
- Coach also said there is no selfishness on the team and all like to pass - which was quite evident with Souf Mensah; Baker and Corey as well.
- Coach also said that the squad has bought into the program and to the coaching staff - unlike last year.

So who was it that didn't like to practice? Was it the whole team kind of in shock going from Jordan's laid back atmosphere to intense practices? Or was it Nigel, Diallo and/or Laurent?

Can't imagine it was CJ.

Reactions: RUChoppin
The one caveat with Red Shirts now is the Grad Transfer. If a player red shirts you may only have him play for three years in your program then transfer out as a Grad Transfer.

So who was it that didn't like to practice? Was it the whole team kind of in shock going from Jordan's laid back atmosphere to intense practices? Or was it Nigel, Diallo and/or Laurent?

Can't imagine it was CJ.

Was thinking the same thing... if there wasn't buy in last year, was it due to resistance to change or elements in the locker room... or some of both?

I can see some players showing a resistance to change so dramatically, but then buying in once they saw the results on the court as the season progressed... which would show a difference in them from preseason 2016 to preseason 2017.

If it was one of the departing players, removing that type of resistance can also have a dramatic impact.

Curious to know more about that.

Can't imagine it was CJ.

If you looked at the 4 guys you mentioned, which one had the body of a guy who didn't work hard.

Is everyone forgetting that Nigel was called out by the coaches a few times last year and over the offseason? Both alluding to and directly questioning him.

If i were to guess based on what i know this is it. I just took a very minor exception to the notion that it couldn't be CJ Gettys. You can read in to this any way you like.

If i were to guess based on what i know this is it. I just took a very minor exception to the notion that it couldn't be CJ Gettys. You can read in to this any way you like.[/Q

I appreciated your point. Just assumed since the three I stated transferred out as opposed to graduated.

If Thiam can develop a dribble to take ball to the basket or pull up that will create more space for him beyond the 3 pt line. One thing I know for sure is that if Thiam releases his shot above his head from the 3 pt line that shot will be virtually impossible to stop with his length.

GO RU

Reactions: RU MAN
It's a moot point. He is not even trying to work on it. It's also not an easy thing to change at all.
How do you know he's not trying to work on it? Are you close with him and the team? And yes, you can change your release point. I played the game and saw players change their shot and the slot of the release point all of the time. If you played the game competitively then you know your last comment isn't true.

Did guys come back from watching Thiam talking about a higher release point? No. Has coach or Thiam talked about it as something he is working on? No. I played high school ball. Honorable mention all county so not that great but not bad. Trying to change your shot is incredibly difficult. It is not like working on your left hand. It won't happen and my guess is he won't even try because it is not that big of a deal to begin with. Risk reward is not worth it.

Did guys come back from watching Thiam talking about a higher release point? No. Has coach or Thiam talked about it as something he is working on? No. I played high school ball. Honorable mention all county so not that great but not bad. Trying to change your shot is incredibly difficult. It is not like working on your left hand. It won't happen and my guess is he won't even try because it is not that big of a deal to begin with. Risk reward is not worth it.
Look, I think we're both beating a dead horse. I made a comment about his release point in my very first post in this thread and you challenged me on it. We both played competitively so to some extent we both know the game pretty well. All I know is if Thiam doesn't change his release and/or Pikiell doesn't thinks it's a problem then that's great going forward. If I were coaching him (and yes I coached) I would see if he would be amenable to change his shot., because for a tall kid he got stuffed from the perimeter at least a half dozen times. All I care about is the results. If the kid can contribute, then great. That's all I care about.

Reactions: NJDOVES
If i were to guess based on what i know this is it. I just took a very minor exception to the notion that it couldn't be CJ Gettys. You can read in to this any way you like.

I just remember the article talking about Gettys diving to the floor for loose balls in the first practice. Which is understandably just one data point, but I don't remember any other practice comments positive or negative about those four guys.

Look, I think we're both beating a dead horse. I made a comment about his release point in my very first post in this thread and you challenged me on it. We both played competitively so to some extent we both know the game pretty well. All I know is if Thiam doesn't change his release and/or Pikiell doesn't thinks it's a problem then that's great going forward. If I were coaching him (and yes I coached) I would see if he would be amenable to change his shot., because for a tall kid he got stuffed from the perimeter at least a half dozen times. All I care about is the results. If the kid can contribute, then great. That's all I care about.

I agree the low release point is not a big deal especially if you shoot with accuracy. Didn't Quincy Douby have a low release point? Although he shot between half court and the three point line lol. I think Thiam will be fine with this staff being on top of everything.

Reactions: RU MAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT