ADVERTISEMENT

October 19, 1923, 100 years ago today, Antilles Field, Douglass Residential College, Rutgers U, New Brunswick, NJ is dedicated in honor of the sinki…

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey

October 19, 1923, 100 years ago today, Antilles Field, Douglass Residential College, Rutgers U, New Brunswick, NJ is dedicated in honor of the sinking of the steamship Antilles in October 1917. At the time of the sinking in World War I, it was the greatest loss of American lives in any single engagement. The ceremony was attended by Captain H. T. Boyd who was in command of the Antilles at the time she was torpedoed. During the dedication ceremony, he told his story of the sinking by U-boat.

October 19, 1923, 100 years ago today, Antilles Field, Douglass Residential College, Rutgers U, New Brunswick, NJ is dedicated in honor of the sinking of the steamship Antilles in October 1917. At the time of the sinking in World War I, it was the greatest loss of American lives in any single engagement. The ceremony was attended by Captain H. T. Boyd who was in command of the Antilles at the time she was torpedoed. During the dedication ceremony, he told his story of the sinking by U-boat.
Thanks for the post, Here is some information on the steamship Antilles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Antilles_(1906)

Antilles Field, I know it very well. That's where the Rutgers Marching Band used to practice on weekdays. Not sure if they still use that field or if they've relocated elsewhere for 6th period practices.

Reactions: Tango Two
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT