ADVERTISEMENT

Off Tackle

chrisfromnyc

Redshirt
Oct 11, 2012
The whole first half I was screaming my head off to run off tackle. They have a pair of maybe 240 pound defensive ends, built like tight ends. We have huge, good tackles and a big old fullback. Attack the edge and start grinding them. Exploit the advantage. Doesn't happen the whole half.

And then, out of nowhere, on the scoring drive, we start running off tackle and we gash them repeatedly. Hunks of yardage, play after play, EMU is shuffling personnel, not stopping the run - it works. Then, Football 101, we hit a play action to Washington. Because, you know, we had been running it on them. Now they are on their heels, Edwards goes up the middle and we score. Subsequent fumble and FG, RU leads.

I figure, at this point, we keep hammering them. It's just worked, it's the only thing that's worked, it plays to our relative advantage, and it is demoralizing and physically brutalizing for a team to be run on that way. But nope, we stop running off tackle and don't return to it the rest of the day.

It is completely baffling and crazily frustrating. Everyone says Jerry Kill is a smart coach and a good play caller, but how does this happen? At any level of football (or business, or war), if you have an advantage you exploit it. I saw it on the first series. I am just a regular fan. It is not rocket science. Why did he not? And then when it worked, like a charm, right down the field, why does he abandon it? I wish I could ask him. It is beyond f**ked up to me.

The whole first half I was screaming my head off to run off tackle. They have a pair of maybe 240 pound defensive ends, built like tight ends. We have huge, good tackles and a big old fullback. Attack the edge and start grinding them. Exploit the advantage. Doesn't happen the whole half.

And then, out of nowhere, on the scoring drive, we start running off tackle and we gash them repeatedly. Hunks of yardage, play after play, EMU is shuffling personnel, not stopping the run - it works. Then, Football 101, we hit a play action to Washington. Because, you know, we had been running it on them. Now they are on their heels, Edwards goes up the middle and we score. Subsequent fumble and FG, RU leads.

I figure, at this point, we keep hammering them. It's just worked, it's the only thing that's worked, it plays to our relative advantage, and it is demoralizing and physically brutalizing for a team to be run on that way. But nope, we stop running off tackle and don't return to it the rest of the day.

It is completely baffling and crazily frustrating. Everyone says Jerry Kill is a smart coach and a good play caller, but how does this happen? At any level of football (or business, or war), if you have an advantage you exploit it. I saw it on the first series. I am just a regular fan. It is not rocket science. Why did he not? And then when it worked, like a charm, right down the field, why does he abandon it? I wish I could ask him. It is beyond f**ked up to me.
Looks like it is Kill that is rusty -- in coaching.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT