ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 1 Degree of Little Richard?

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
From 'Tutti Frutti' to preacher: Little Richard's complicated life analyzed in new film (msn.com)
Will be available on many (most) platforms (tonight?).

In 1974 I met with music producer Robert “Bumps” Blackwell at his home in Inglewood, CA along with my brother from another mother Ray Weeks.

At the time Inglewood was known as the home of the fabulous forum where the Lakers played.

As we entered Bumps apartment I noticed 2 gold records on his wall: Long Tall Sally and Good Golly Miss Molly both co-written by Bumps and J.R. Penniman (Little Richard).

Bumps went on to tell me about his cadre of musicians and stars: Herb Alpert, Sam Cooke, Quincy Jones, Little Richard and a host of others. Bumps wound up offering me a 14 week
Gig in Chicago playing “ethnic music” (Italian and Jewish themed songs). At the time I was married to Janet and had little interest in leaving for 14 weeks ...as she was entering her Junior year at Long Beach State and wouldn't be able to accompany me on the road.

I told Bumps (who was Black) that I already played ethnic music (The Blues)…and ultimately rejected his offer. Ray tried to calm me down- but I was RIGHT (so I thought).

I remember Bumps talking to an older woman (probably my age now)…in Yiddish. I found this interesting since I understood some (but not many words). The irony was that a black man who spoke Yiddish was
Asking me to play ethnic music that I rejected …much as I didn’t follow up on my father’s attempts to teach me Yiddish. Go figure.

Oy Veyclose enough for the blues!

Hindsight is unforgiving…. and a bitch.

MO
PS I sent this out as an email to friends and relatives earlier today, About 10 mins. ago, a friend called me with an associate - O'Malley Jones- who KNEW Bumps. As we were talking he broke into song (a Temps song)...guy has pipes. Thought it was the universe in manifestation mode.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT