ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 150 Years Ago Today, Rutgers Alumni Witnessing Surrender

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
150 years ago, Robert E. Lee surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant at a farm house in Virginia. At Appomatix was Major General George H. Sharpe, Rutgers Class of 1847 and head of America's first forerunner to today's CIA or FBI - the Bureau of Military Information. His secret gathering of Confederate troop strength was considered accurate enough to impact the effectiveness of Union forces vs. the Confederacy.

One article by the Daily Home News in the 1920s claimed Lee surrendered his sword to Grant and Sharpe also handled it. But letters from both Grant and Lee later on make no mention of Grant asking for Lee's sword or Lee offering it. It remains a controversy today.

Sharpe, however, was the man who paroled 28,000 Confederate Army soldiers. He was also to offer Lee a pardon but Lee refused it preferring to be treated like the rest of his forces.

Although Rutgers research is still finding more Rutgers soldiers in the Civil War, RU's Steven Glazer wrote a paper about the Rutgers and New Brunswick men who fought:

ejbe.libraries.rutgers.edu/index.php/jrul/article/viewFile/.../3298

As far as Sharpe goes, he went to Europe in 1867 at the behest of William Seward (of Seward's Folly fame) to track down possible conspirators in the Lincoln assassination. He brought back John Surratt, son of Mary who had been hung for her role. However, John Surratt's trial ended in a hung jury. He was never tried again. Sharpe moved into political roles for the rest of the century.

One last thing about George Sharpe. Just as the 1875 Rutgers cannon raid was taking place at Princeton, Sharpe lent his name to a Rutgers first. The first gathering of a Rutgers Alumni dinner was organized by George H. Sharpe '47 and took place at Delmonico's Steak House in New York City in June of 1875 where mention of the "Cannon War" was brought up during the evening.

April 9, 1865 Lee Surrenders to Grant

I love this historical stuff! Thanks for posting.

Here is a link to the Stephen Glazer article referenced in Source's OP. On my computer, I have to click on the "download the PDF" link in the lower left corner of the page in order for the article to open.
This post was edited on 4/9 2:43 PM by Skull83

Rutgers in the Civil War

He is a Bowdin guy and a Mainer but I have been fascinated by Joshua Lawrence since I read about him in FM-101-5 as a freshman ROTC student at RU.

Historical Digression
Generals Joshua L. Chamberlain and John B. Gordon at Appomattox Recollections of the surrender ceremony.
Gordon: One of the knightliest soldiers of the Federal army, General Joshua L. Chamberlain of Maine…called his troops into line, and as my men marched in front of them, the veterans in blue gave a soldierly salute to those vanquished heroes-a token of respect from Americans to Americans…

Here is an interesting football related quote from the Glazer article linked above:

"The last Civil War veteran to enroll at Rutgers was apparently

Madison M. Ball, '73. Ball had fought for three years with the 91st

New York Infantry in the South, where he participated in the siege

and assault on Port Hudson and in numerous other engagements.

He entered Rutgers in 1869, remaining through his sophomore

year, winning a class prize for oration. Ball's principal legacy at

Rutgers, however, would be in the postwar emergence of varsity

sports. On June 20, 1870, Ball was a member of the college's first

intercollegiate crew team, which rowed against a Harvard squad.

(Rutgers lost by seven seconds over the three-mile course.) But it

was another sports milestone involving Ball that would better be

remembered on the banks of the Raritan.

Madison Ball was a member of the Rutgers team that played

the nation's first intercollegiate football game on November 6,

1869. Rutgers beat Princeton by 6 goals to 4, with the twenty-eight year-

old Ball securing the third goal for Rutgers, putting it ahead in

the game. He advanced the score by running in the same direction

as a loose ball, and when it was overtaken, stepping over and

kicking it behind him with his heel to a well-placed teammate, who

easily completed the play. Ball's athletic prowess was all the more

remarkable in view of his wartime leg injury received at the battle of

Donaldsonville, Louisiana."

Madison Monroe Ball '73, born on July 12, 1841, was a private in New York's 91st Infantry in the Civil War from November 30, 1861 through December 3, 1864. He later became a teacher. According to the Civil War Muster Roll Abstracts for New York, Ball was "…wounded in the left thigh at the Battle of Donaldsonville…" The second Battle of Donaldsonville started on June 28, 1863. Donaldsonville is 40 miles southeast of Baton Route, LA along the Mississippi River. Casualties and injuries numbered 23 for the Union forces and 301 for the Confederacy.

Amazing stuff

Source is King. Any discussion yet on plans for the 150th? Any place to go to add our own wishes?

Re: Amazing stuff

I add my compliments to Source. I also keep thinking about how cool it is that one of the RU players in the first intercollegiate football game had served in the Civil War and been wounded in action.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT