ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any of you lawyers experts in Maternity leave?

vkj91

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 7, 2007
If so, DM me. Don’t worry, if I need real help I don’t expect people to work for free. :smiley:

If I kick you hard in the nuts, so hard where you are sore for days, can I get $20? [laughing]
I know I have crappy insurance but I hope he ended up with more than $20 for handling my junk.

Reactions: WhiteBus
maternity leave:
2 weeks before due date
6 weeks after for natural birth
8 weeks after for c-section
you can add FMLA to give you 12 weeks total to guarantee your job hold.
there is also a way to add NJ FMLA to give you an extra 12 weeks and give you a total of 6 months off
you can get disability while you are out as long as your doc says you cannot return to work.

My company also gives the dads Paternity or Family Leave (not sure what they call it), approx 6 paid weeks to be used within the calender year after the birth of the child.

Last edited:
maternity leave:
2 weeks before due date
there is also a way to add NJ FMLA to give you an extra 12 weeks and give you a total of 6 months off
you can get disability while you are out as long as your doc says you cannot return to work.
My wife had problems with sciatic nerve and was done with work by month 7 an c-section another 8 weeks but I lost a few weeks somewhere in there she was out 6 months some of it on disability but her company made up the difference and she got full pay for 6 months

maternity leave:
2 weeks before due date
That’s basically what I thought. Although small companies don’t need to approve FMLA. I was just checking to make sure I had proper info as I have an employee that I feel is going to try and milk this. Wanted to confirm the state hadn’t created any more crazy rules.

That’s basically what I thought. Although small companies don’t need to approve FMLA. I was just checking to make sure I had proper info as I have an employee that I feel is going to try and milk this. Wanted to confirm the state hadn’t created any more crazy rules.

red-hot-chili-peppers-mothers-milks.jpg

maternity leave:
2 weeks before due date

I thought it was normally 4 weeks before the due date. But it could be longer or shorter, based on a doctor's medical certification.

If the employer offers disability insurance through a private company, the disability leave during pregnancy and after birth is paid by the private insurance company. If the employer does not offer private insurance, benefits are paid by the State Temporary Disability Insurance (TDI). If the employer uses a private company, the benefits offered must be equal or greater than the benefits offered by the State TDI. Either way, the eligibility for benefits and length of leave is determined by the Insurance company in conjunction with the patient's medical team. The employer does not determine benefits or leave.

In addition, New Jersey offers Family Leave Insurance which offers up to 6 weeks of coverage to bond with a new child. This coverage is available to both mothers and fathers, and does not need to be taken immediately after birth. This insurance coverage is separate and in addition to the medical disability insurance. Eligibility for Family Leave Insurance is also separate from the NJ Family Leave Act coverage, which provides unpaid leave.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I thought it was normally 4 weeks before the due date. But it could be longer or shorter, based on a doctor's medical certification.

If the employer offers disability insurance through a private company, the disability leave during pregnancy and after birth is paid by the private insurance company. If the employer does not offer private insurance, benefits are paid by the State Temporary Disability Insurance (TDI). If the employer uses a private company, the benefits offered must be equal or greater than the benefits offered by the State TDI. Either way, the eligibility for benefits and length of leave is determined by the Insurance company in conjunction with the patient's medical team. The employer does not determine benefits or leave.

In addition, New Jersey offers Family Leave Insurance which offers up to 6 weeks of coverage to bond with a new child. This coverage is available to both mothers and fathers, and does not need to be taken immediately after birth. This insurance coverage is separate and in addition to the medical disability insurance. Eligibility for Family Leave Insurance is also separate from the NJ Family Leave Act coverage, which provides unpaid leave.
Thanks for posting that.
The birth of a child occurs maybe once or twice during the span of a career of an employee. The 6 weeks of coverage to bond with the new child is a great benefit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT