ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any of you posters eye doctors?

KingHigh

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 12, 2005
I've been researching laser surgery to correct my astigmatism. I read there are multiple kinds of astigmatism (regular, mixed, irregular, induced irregular, etc). Some types of astigmatism are approved for corrective surgery, other types are not.

I am trying to find information about how to determine, based on my prescription, what kind of astigmatism I have. Is that possible to determine just by looking at the prescription? Before I make an appointment to see the ophthalmologist about it, I want to know if I am obviously wasting my time.

R: -325 -175 x 083
L: -425 -100 x 087

Thanks!

Risking your eye sight to people on this forum?

You are very.... brave.

What I'm looking for is "your prescription indicates your astigmatism is correctable, it's worth your time to see an ophthalmologist" or "your prescription indicates you have an uncorrectible kind of astigmatism, so save yourself the work day".

I'm not asking you to take a light saber to my eye :)

What I'm looking for is "your prescription indicates your astigmatism is correctable, it's worth your time to see an ophthalmologist" or "your prescription indicates you have an uncorrectible kind of astigmatism, so save yourself the work day".

Don't trust a message board. There are far to many variables in the equation. Take the hour and get a free consolation . To answer your question typically a astigmatism lower than 3.0 is correctable with Lasik. Your prescription indicates you are within that range(-1.0 and -1.75). I am not an ophthalmologist but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

where did you get that prescription? and how old is it? how old are you?

If (A.) you regularly see an Optometrist - and have confidence in their judgment - ask them for their opinion and for a good referral. If you have very recently had an exam - call them up & ask - if you are due for a check up - go get one &discuss it in person. They should know - and they will not be biased toward taking action.

If (B.) you just normally get you eyes examined by the Optometrist at the Optician's store (local or chain) you can still get an opinion
- or -
(C.) if you are due - for this time you can get your eyes examined by an Ophthalmologist - and it is not a bad idea to have a check up with & get to know an Ophthalmologist (especially if you are over 40) and especially if you have any vision issues of any significance, have high blood pressure, have any family history of things like cataracts, diabetes, glaucoma, retinal issues, migraines etc & while you see the Ophthalmologist - ask your questions -

You really have a multi-part question -
1. can it be done effectively on a person with your prescription
2. is it appropriate for a person in your age range
3. if you have it done - and your vision changes, can you have it done again?
4. if 1 & 2 are yes - and you are OK with 3 - have you read up on the procedure? & do you really want to laser your eyes ... ?

Reactions: KingHigh

I can fix that for you. We just need a place to work and some fresh razor blades. Do you have a workbench in your garage with a vice?

Reactions: newell138 and RUich
(C.) if you are due - for this time you can get your eyes examined by an Ophthalmologist - and it is not a bad idea to have a check up with & get to know an Ophthalmologist (especially if you are over 40) and especially if you have any vision issues of any significance, have high blood pressure, have any family history of things like cataracts, diabetes, glaucoma, retinal issues, migraines etc & while you see the Ophthalmologist - ask your questions -
I will say this: try to get a younger ophthalmologist - I had an older one for a long time, and he was quite set in his ways on doing a number of things. Glad I found a younger guy who kept up on both the medicine and the technology.
For those of you looking for Rutgers eye charts,these are only $12--https://www.etsy.com/listing/189255...ed5517da5b3f&gclid=CM-_o6aPh8wCFYlehgoddKsHbg
Nicely done!

I have a few lasers in my lab. They all say "avoid direct eye exposure". If King is willing to let you try, I'll let you borrow one.

If you help me get him into the vice what's he going to do about it?

I always got a kick out of these signs.

CC-mNf-UIAEbpUF.png

Reactions: David_RU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT