ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Basement waterproofing recommendation - Somerville area

Ended up getting an interior French drain installed on Thursday and Friday. I got a bunch of quotes and ended up going with the most expensive one. I got a better deal paying in cash. It was a process as the crew showed up late both days and were here to past 7 the first day and around 8 the next day. The English language was barely spoken by the job foreman and the rest of the crew I could not communicate with at all. Sucked

The ended up jackhammering away from the basement walls and putting 4" triple wall pipe along the footer. They put a mud guard and sock around the pipe. Covered it with stope then topped with concrete. Got a new 1/2 HP sump and battery backup. There is a cover on my sump now so I cant tell how high the water level is. Im not a huge fan of this. With my old set up (the pump was 14 years old) I was able to see if it was about to overflow at least. Hopefully I wont have to worry about it though and it will work as should.

Now I gotta repaint the block walls and floor. Already started scrapping all the loose paint off the walls. Lots of effervescent on the one wall. A bunch of weep holes were drilled so hopefully that does not happen again. I heard a bunch of pros and cons about using a water proof paint on the interior walls. Not sure what to use for this?

I had a quote for a exterior French drain and the price was about 10k over what I thought it may be. The contractor also wanted it to drain near my shed and that is already a low point in my yard. I declined this option.
Drylock is what we use when inspectors call for it.

My friend just did one. Seemed like a decent company . But they were slow as crap took them about 6 or 7 days. I think he paid 10k for a 1,000 square foot basement.
I did a bunch of research before getting quotes. The part of my basement I had done is only 600 square feet. Paid $8,700. That included new sump, sump well and battery backup.
All the research I did it seems every company will say there product is the best and the others do it wrong. I just went with my gut as what was the best.

Drylok is crap mostly long term . Dampness proofing but not waterproofing
Waterproofing occurs outside the home and then at your French drain and plastic on the walls. I think it's just another thing to add peace of mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT