ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best States to Live in (2024)

I can't say I disagree. But they didn't mention the amenities - ocean, lakes, mountains, cities.

New Jersey is the third-best state to live in, and it has the highest median household income in the country, at over $96,000. In addition, New Jersey residents have the second-lowest median debt, the equivalent of around 31% of what they earn in a year. The Garden State has done a good job of tackling poverty, too, with the fifth-lowest share of the population below the poverty line and the eighth-lowest food insecurity rate.

When it comes to health, New Jersey residents have the fourth-lowest premature death rate in the nation, the sixth-lowest obesity rate, and the 10th-best overall life expectancy. One reason for the low obesity rate in particular is the fact that the state has the sixth-most miles of trails and the fifth-most fitness centers per capita, which gives people plenty of opportunities to stay active.

Finally, New Jersey has the sixth-lowest violent crime rate and ninth-lowest property crime rate, due in part to the fact that it has the highest number of law enforcement employees per capita.

"Rank" articles are just clickbait.

Crime stats aren't even reliable anymore
Lots of cities dont even report crimes anymore

Arizona is low and Florida is way high.
The humidity and tropical weather threat in Florida-no thanks.
Arizona is more than just Phoenix. Northern Arizona is fantastic.
Where are you? Im in Scottsdale. I don’t mind the Florida heat year round though. Gets chilly here come fall.

GA, SC & VA all vastly underated IMO

Anyone of them started doing Florida friendly tax things and Team Smooth could be persuaded away from the Sunshine State

Reactions: RU in IM
New Jersey is by far the best state
1) No thanks to cold or heat, NJ is temperate, weather alone, it wins
2) The publlic school system is excellent though Mass is good too
3)I love the suburban urban envrionment, always something to do. its so densely packed getting from one town to another is easy to try new things-like Hugos, Peruvian restaurant in Rahway, 20 minutes from EB
4) 30 minutes and I am walking the beautiful Long Branch boardwalk, (the easily accessible NJ shore), I only like beaches that have boardwalks, very few states have them
5)Newark airport, underappreciated gem for its location, international flights and only a 30 minute ride to get there, extremely convenient, always leaving from there or picking someone up or a cheap uber.

Last edited:
"Rank" articles are just clickbait.

Crime stats aren't even reliable anymore
Lots of cities dont even report crimes anymore

This seems to be the hot new right-wing/Russian disinformation talking point. The only answer is to distrust everyone and cast aspersions on any government data.

2) The pulblic school system is excellent though Mass is good too
3)I love the suburban urban envrionment, always something to do. its so densely packed getting from one town to another is easy to try new things-like Hugos, Peruvian restaurant in Rahway, 20 minutes from EB
4) 30 minutes and I am walking the beautiful Long Branch boardwalk, (the easily accessible NJ shore), I only like beaches that have boardwalks, very few states have them
5)Newark airport, underappreciated gem for its location, international flights and only a 30 minute ride to get there, extremely convenient, always leaving from there or picking someone up or a cheap uber.
Some of the best restaurants in Hoboken, Jersey City, the Ironbound section of Newark, and up and down the Jersey shore.

I think California is the best state to live in with two pretty big caveats:

1. You must have enough money to live reasonably well, and
2. You have to okay with some weird stuff. Not Florida weird, but some pretty weird stuff goes down here.

It also helps to be kinda chill about the inevitable natural disasters.

2) The pulblic school system is excellent though Mass is good too
I'll take "EWR is growing on me" for $100 Alex
Something I never thought I'd say, and likely will regret saying when I fly out of there on Sunday

The new terminals and security gates are pretty good
I guess flying in and out so often, you either learn to like it or you'll (meaning I) will be miserable

It gets a bad rap, but overall, especially when flying alone and with Precheck and Clear, does the job

Reactions: 93RUDoc
Some of the best restaurants in Hoboken, Jersey City, the Ironbound section of Newark, and up and down the Jersey shore.
100 %
A lot of great options
If you're a foodie or going out to eat, there's no shortage of great (and variable) options

I think California is the best state to live in with two pretty big caveats:

1. You must have enough money to live reasonably well, and
2. You have to okay with some weird stuff. Not Florida weird, but some pretty weird stuff goes down here.

It also helps to be kinda chill about the inevitable natural disasters.
Agree, but it's a different kind of weird in CA
Florida weird is more redneck stuff
CA weird is more truly weird, WTF kind of stuff

I'll take "EWR is growing on me" for $100 Alex
Something I never thought I'd say, and likely will regret saying when I fly out of there on Sunday

The new terminals and security gates are pretty good
I guess flying in and out so often, you either learn to like it or you'll (meaning I) will be miserable

It gets a bad rap, but overall, especially when flying alone and with Precheck and Clear, does the job
I’m very comfortable with EWR since it’s the airport I know the best. Only negative for me right now is that the Airtrain doesn’t go to new terminal A yet. The terminal itself is great, but thats a big drawback for the short term.

I’m very comfortable with EWR since it’s the airport I know the best. Only negative for me right now is that the Airtrain doesn’t go to new terminal A yet. The terminal itself is great, but thats a big drawback for the short term.
Its not that bad a walk from where the Airtrain let's you off to Terminal A. There's also a shuttle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT