ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best vacation you have had expensive/inexpensive

RuBird

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
My family and I are not real spenders.

Most expense best vacation Disney. Stayed at the Polynesian. Loved Animal Kingdom and Typhoon Lagoon. Daughter and wife loved Magic Kingdom
Best inexpensive. Amish Country Lancaster. Family loved Dutch Wonderland. Amish View Inn to stay. Clean great prices and best breakfast. Great places to eat ( Bird in Hand, Millers, Shady Maple). Fun mini golf and outlets for back to school shopping.

What ya got?

Most expensive was Italy. Rome, Venice Naples. That made the bank account hurt, haha.

Best cheap vacation is kinda cheating but it was an airbnb we booked right after Covid for summer 2020 at lake Douglas in Tennessee of all places. Incredible cabin with our own cove to go swimming, deck hot tub, pool table, etc. all in for the week it cost $1100. We definitely took advantage of some of the cheap Covid travel

Reactions: RU205 and RuBird
Adirondacks is my vote for best inexpensive vacation locales. I loved Maine too but the drive. Big Sur/wine region probably best expensive but heading to Italy soon so that might supplant it.

Reactions: Randal7 and RuBird
We've been locked into Sedona, AZ for about 15 years. Magical place with spectacular scenery and great restaurants. Not terribly expensive, but not cheap.

Krakow, Poland//Prague pre-pandemic was fantastic and cheap. We need to see more of Europe.

Reactions: famousbill19

Most expense best vacation Disney. Stayed at the Polynesian. Loved Animal Kingdom and Typhoon Lagoon. Daughter and wife loved Magic Kingdom
Best inexpensive. Amish Country Lancaster. Family loved Dutch Wonderland. Amish View Inn to stay. Clean great prices and best breakfast. Great places to eat ( Bird in Hand, Millers, Shady Maple). Fun mini golf and outlets for back to school shopping.

What ya got?
Favorite Affordable Vacation: Well since you mentioned Lancaster (which my family has certainly enjoyed - though I am not crazy about the buffet food there) I would also say Hershey which is very close. I love that a portion of profits from Hershey go educate low income and at risk children at the Hersey School. Milton Hersey was a huge philanthropist. Aside from that as long as you don't stay at the Hershey properties, you can stay just outside of Hershey for really cheap - I will say the Hershey Hotel is beautiful, but it is definitely a pretty penny. We stay at Mainstay Suites in Grantville which has indoor miniature golf, indoor pool with a slide and continental breakfast for like a $100/night - YES PLEASE! Chocolate World is also free to get into and walk around, but you will have to pay to do the extra things - strongly recommend the Trolley tour which tells you about Milton Hershey and the town of Hershey.

On the whole I would also say that going to National Parks is a cheaper vacation destination. We went to Acadia National Park in Maine a few years ago and it was gorgeous. Plus Bar Harbor is right there for your shopping needs, but that is definitely more of an upscale town - however the water views are out of a calendar. Also in Maine (I forget where) they have a Botanical Gardens which had giant trolls that you had to find which was cool and great for kids.

And of course Disney is on the other end of things for us too - expensive and exhausting. Everybody loved it, but me - but what do I matter in the whole scheme of things anyway? LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: bethlehemfan
Hmm, interesting question:

Most expensive vacation = 3 weeks in Stone Harbor, summer of 2021, brand new house with an elevator. LOL! We needed extra time off due to so many trips being cancelled (COVID). Awesome experience, been renting the same house ever since.

As for actual "trips", we did 15 nights in Hong Kong and southern China which was a truly remarkable experience for many reasons. We are planning a lengthy Hawaii trip for next spring break, which may approach this cost, so we have high hopes for it. First time our little one will be there. This is one of the many trips that were previously planned, but screwed up due to you know what.

As for inexpensive, we rented a private house in Summerlin, NV for a Vegas and surrounding areas vacation. The house rental was cheap, less than $2k for a week. Enjoyed Red Rock Canyon and the area so much, we did it a second time (2009 and 2011, I think).

Reactions: RuBird

What ya got?
Grew up going to the Poly for Disney vacations (80s and early 90s). Probably the best themed resort in all of WDW. The resort has changed a bit from those days, but it's still a special place.

Best expensive vacation was a 12 day cruise on a sailboat through the Mediterranean (Malta, Sicily, Amalfi Coast, Corsica, Elba, Nice, Monaco). Only 40 passengers. Swam in the middle of the Mediterranean, saw incredible sights/small islands, dinner each day was unplanned (chef just explored local markets wherever we were and improvised from there). Incredible experience.

Best inexpensive vacation: numerous trips to Maine. Mostly Sebago Lake area, but tons of day trips to Portland, Acadia/Bar Harbor, Kennebunkport, Ogunquit, Freeport.

Best expensive trip was our honeymoon to Rome and Florence. This was at a time too when the dollar had a horrible ratio to the Euro. Unbelievable sights, culture, and food we had on that trip to Italy.

Best inexpensive trips would be a tie between going to Cape May and Knoebels in PA. Love the shore and especially Cape May. It's like you are transported to another shore town once you cross that bridge and are in Cape May. We have also found a nice reasonable place to stay for my family in CM that's not too far from everything. This shoretown has so many eating options for all budgets and so much great history.

Knoebels too is a gem. If you have kids and have never experienced a true traditional amuesment park, this is place to go. Riding the Phoenix roller coaster at night is an experience like no other. Like Cape May, you are just transported to another time when at this amusement park with its sights, sounds, classic rides, and great food options.

Expensive = Hawaii. Great place, food, people, culture.
Inexpensive = Panama City Beach. No frills, but cheap. Lots to do - wouldn't go back now, but at the time, it was good

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
We've been locked into Sedona, AZ for about 15 years. Magical place with spectacular scenery and great restaurants. Not terribly expensive, but not cheap.

Krakow, Poland//Prague pre-pandemic was fantastic and cheap. We need to see more of Europe.

Loved Sedona. Been there 3 times. 1st time ~ 30 years ago and at the time relatively sparsely populated with artisan shops etc. Hiked and 4 wheeled with friends. Last time was perhaps 10 years ago....much more built up with time shares etc. Guess everyone caught on to its allure.

I would add the outer banks as an enjoyable and affordable experience. At least when we stayed. We rented a place almost all the way to Virginia where you had to drive the beach at least for a little bit to get to the homes. That was very enjoyable for me. Probably a little rugged for many. It may not be cheap anymore that was a long time ago.

We are doing a 9-day Poland tour in September, finishing off in Slovakia and Prague. Can't wait.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Spent most on a trip to Italy and Switzerland for 10 days with a B1G university art histroy tour.
Spent the least October camping for two weeks in Boston, Cape Cod, Rhode Island and Nantucket (B&B).
It was 80s and I spent about $300 not including gas.
I was never into Disney, tropical islands, Vegas etc

Last edited:
Best inexpensive is camping and hiking in MANY national parks, climbing to the top of Mt Rainer and hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon at the top of the list. London was a great expensive trip.

Best Most expensive: Sandals In Jamaica

Best Least expensive: Adirondack’s. Cabin up in old forge

My best vacations have been driving trips through the Colorado Plateau (Four Corners area). Numerous national parks, state parks, national monuments, national forests and BLM lands. Amazing and magical places. The trips are generally on the cheap, especially when car camping.

Expensive. Any vacation trip with my three boys. Thankfully, they are grown up now. But so many vacation packages and hotel occupancies are for four only. With a family of five, there were always extra expenses.

Best expensive trip was our honeymoon to Rome and Florence. This was at a time too when the dollar had a horrible ratio to the Euro. Unbelievable sights, culture, and food we had on that trip to Italy.

Best inexpensive trips would be a tie between going to Cape May and Knoebels in PA. Love the shore and especially Cape May. It's like you are transported to another shore town once you cross that bridge and are in Cape May. We have also found a nice reasonable place to stay for my family in CM that's not too far from everything. This shoretown has so many eating options for all budgets and so much great history.

Knoebels too is a gem. If you have kids and have never experienced a true traditional amuesment park, this is place to go. Riding the Phoenix roller coaster at night is an experience like no other. Like Cape May, you are just transported to another time when at this amusement park with its sights, sounds, classic rides, and great food options.
I could swear i read that a few years back a kid got thrown out of the Pheonix roller coaster and they had to shut it down.

How is Italy on so many lists as most expensive? I was in Italy in 2019 for two weeks, saw a good chunk of the country. Stayed in a mix of hotels and airbnbs, all were awesome. Airfare was like 600-700 a ticket at the time, we always do redeyes for europe. Ended up being a mid-cost trip for the amount of time we were there.

Are y’all staying at the Armani hotel in Milan or something lol

I would add the outer banks as an enjoyable and affordable experience. At least when we stayed. We rented a place almost all the way to Virginia where you had to drive the beach at least for a little bit to get to the homes. That was very enjoyable for me. Probably a little rugged for many. It may not be cheap anymore that was a long time ago.
OBX has started to shoot the moon the last few years price wise unfortunately. My family has gone down the OBX for the last 30 years on and off and the rentals have changed so much over the years. Used to be a lot more single family 2-3 bedroom type houses with basic amenities especially once you got a couple blocks off of oceanfront. These days all the houses have been converted to these 5-6 bedroom monster houses with Pools, elevators, Hot Tubs, giant 3 level wrap around decks, etc. Houses are great but also cost 2x what they did even just 10 years ago.

Last edited:
How is Italy on so many lists as most expensive? I was in Italy in 2019 for two weeks, saw a good chunk of the country. Stayed in a mix of hotels and airbnbs, all were awesome. Airfare was like 600-700 a ticket at the time, we always do redeyes for europe. Ended up being a mid-cost trip for the amount of time we were there.

Between airfair, car rental, hotels, food, activities, tours, shopping, etc etc etc 8 days in Italy ran us just shy of $11k all in. Yeah that's a lot of money to me for a vacation

Four Seasons in Milan or Florence? :)

Did a trip to Prague, Krakow, and Vienna about 10 years ago. Krakow was wonderful and relatively inexpensive then, especially compared to Vienna. (example: tall glass of beer in Krakow $3. Prague $5. Vienna $7) We visited wife's relatives about 2 hours east of there. Had to hire a translator! And that's a long story for another time.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Best / Least Expensive: Rented a cabin on Maryland's Eastern Shore back in '89. If I remember correctly it was a few hundred bucks for the week. 20 acres of property, nearest neighbor over a mile away, 1000' of bay front, 2 boats and a stack of crab traps. Took the wife, the dog, a stack of books and a couple guns.

Best / Most Expensive: Trip through western Ireland last year. First class on Aer Lingus, stayed at top-notch places like Ballynahinch and Drumolland Castle.

Best: 8 day sailing catamaran charter through the Exumas in summer of '21. My first experience managing a 47' cruising cat that weighs the better part of 20 tons. Sailed the shit out of it while my guests (Kid1 and 5 of her friends) kept the party going nonstop.

Reactions: Knight Shift
We are doing a 9-day Poland tour in September, finishing off in Slovakia and Prague. Can't wait.
If Krakow is not on your list, try to get there. One of the few major Polish cities not destroyed by the Nazis, perhaps because they made it their headquarters. Auschwitz and Birkenau were very sobering and an incredible experience.

We have ancestry from Slovakia. Our Polish tour guide was funny. He drove us across the border to Slovakia in an open field and told us this is all you need to see. 🤷‍♂️ He was a smarty pants.

Reactions: famousbill19
@RUScrew85 and I spent 12 days in Italy for our honeymoon. Rome, Florence & the Tuscan countryside. Simply amazing

About 4 years ago we did a 12 day road trip thru SD/Wyoming/Montana/ND. America is an amazing place to visit. (If you ever make it to Red Lodge Montana make sure to have a drink at Foster and Logan. Take a look at the Rutgers flag that's flying in there. They had flags from dozens of colleges but of course no Rutgers so I took care of it)

We pretty much followed this blog post and actually met two other guys that were doing the same exact trip as us.

haven't had to pay full price for a vacation in a decade - lots of hotel and airline points travel . if you want to go by sticker price.

best expensive vacation - either Maui/Oahu or Kauai/Oahu, both for 2 weeks.
best expensive non-Hawaii vacation - Rome/Amalfi Coast - 12 days
best non-expensive vacation - 5 day trip to Providence and Newport, RI in the spring

Best most expensive- We had finished up all the recruiting trips in late 2004, Kevin started his first year and we did a 10 day Europe trip in August before his season started. It's funny, I was working on a huge deal to close at work- was in the range of 200k commission. Jackie had no idea of the size of the deal but I had told her that if I close it- we were going to celebrate with a great bottle of Champagne...she is looking at me like OK, but ummmm- big deal. Only, I knew she had always wanted to go to Paris. I didn't tell her that bottle would be on the Eiffel Tower. Deal closes- I booked 2 first class flights to Paris- stayed at the Four Seasons.(One dinner there was over 1400 euros Then flew into Venice, 1st class- stayed at Gritti Palace, and then a train to Rome and stayed at The St. Regis- Suites at each hotel and private car service(private boat service at Venice). The experience was once in a lifetime.

Best inexpensive - A buddy of mine had a nice hunting cabin up in Phoenicia NY. We used to go up there each year for hunting and for a full week- less than $200 in total. Most meals in the cabin but always a few nights out at a local dive called the Boiceville Inn- would play pool all night long with the locals and eat pizza, wings and french fries with pitchers of PBR.

Probably my favorite vacation so far, at any price, involved a a day of hiking with my then young family in the mountains in upstate NY. I know, weird. But it has stood out over time as my all time favorite days of vacation.

My bucket-list vacation would be insanely expensive and consists of attaching myself to and following along with the Formula One crowd for an entire season. It would involve flying first class, staying in top-rated hotels, and getting paddock passes (pit passes) for every race of the season.

I would only come home during the summer break, but would otherwise just hang out at or near the various race venues. If I had done this for 2023, it would mean visiting (most races are either 1 or 2 weeks apart, starting March 3rd and ending November 26th):

Sakhir, Bahrain --> Jeddah, Saudi Arabia -> Melbourne, Australia --> Baku, Azerbaijan --> Miami, FL --> Imola, Italy --> Monte-Carlo, Monaco --> Barcelona-Catalunya, Spain --> Montreal, Canada --> Spielberg, Austria --> Silverstone, England --> Budapest, Hungary --> Spa-Francorchamps (Stavelot), Belgium

Then home for summer break for a few weeks. Then on to:

Zandvoort, Netherlands --> Monza, Italy --> Marina Bay, Singapore --> Suzuka, Japan --> Lusail, Quatar --> Austin, TX --> Mexico City, México --> São Paulo, Brazil --> Las Vegas, NV --> Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi.

Even a single F1 Grand Prix, with paddock passes especially, is expensive. Hotels and restaurants often double or triple their pricing for the week, require multiple night stays to make reservations, and the really good hotels in good locations need to be booked years in advance.

I don't know that I'll ever do the whole season - the costs would be irresponsible. But I will do some version of this sometime in the next 5-10 years.

Have a feeling the hike w/my young kids will still be my favorite, though, even after doing the F1 thing. 🙂

haven't had to pay full price for a vacation in a decade - lots of hotel and airline points travel . if you want to go by sticker price.

best expensive vacation - either Maui/Oahu or Kauai/Oahu, both for 2 weeks.
best expensive non-Hawaii vacation - Rome/Amalfi Coast - 12 days
best non-expensive vacation - 5 day trip to Providence and Newport, RI in the spring
Newport is awesome and some time I spent there w/my crew-mates after doing an Annapolis-Newport sailing race was up there in my consideration of favorite vacations.

Best....Most expensive......first class direct to Hawaii Big Island / Maui for 2 weeks with family. Volcano, Biking, Kayaking, Snorkling, Beaches, Drinking, Eating etc. 3 days in northern California on the way back.

Least Expensive Best .....years ago over several weeks.......was between jobs. Flew to Vegas with friends, airfare and rooms were cheap. Gambling, shows, Hoover Dam, Lake Meade, Red Rock Canyon. Drove to Flagstaff Grand Canyon, stayed on the rim, then to Sedona through Oak Creek Canyon....Horseback, hiking etc. Then drove to Phoenix//Scottsdale....golf and hiked Camelback mt. Then drove to Tucson.....snowed in the desert on the way.

Honorable Mention (inexpensive one) ....just out of RU road trip to LA and down the PCH to San Diego and into Mexico. Flew with standby vouchers.....stayed in cheap hotels/motels and in one of our fraternity chapters (UCLA) .....group of us in a mini-van with a filled cooler of cold ones and a designated driver. Unforgettable road trip.

Last edited:
Dang- just remembered a couple of great very cheap vacations- My Wife's President Club trips to Hawaii when she was a top performer for WAMU...didn't cost a damn thing each year for 5 day trips to Maui and Kona...

another inexpensive favorite.

spring break in college, bunch of us rented a house on the beach in OBX...in early march. felt like we were the only people there for a mile or two. the house came out to something like $150 per person. i'm not sure what the booze and food cost...was a bit of a blur.

That you said Cape May was inexpensive has me wondering where exactly you stayed. We just got back. The week in Cape May cost more than our trip to Ireland this past Spring by quite a hefty sum.

Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT