ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bill Jorgensen, R.I.P.

PiscatawayMike

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
Scarlet Knight Country!
You gotta be of a certain age to know him. I remember him because, throughout my childhood in the 70s, my parents watched the 10 o'clock news on Channel 5 pretty much every weekday evening. His voice and image were omnipresent in my youth.

"Thanking you for your time this time, until next time.”

R.I.P.

I believe that he was the one who initiated the saying "It's 10 o'clock. Do you know where your children are?"

According to an online article:

Some credit Jorgensen for coining the idea of having an announcer say the line “it’s 10 p.m. — do you know where your children are?” during the show’s open. The line was meant as a public service effort designed to coordinate with youth curfews in major cities and reduce crime.

The phrase, however, was not created by Jorgensen. It had appeared in newspapers in the 1800s and other stations are known to having used it prior to Jorgensen, though his station’s use of the phrase helped make it famous.

RIP. I remember him for sure. He was old when he was on tv back in the day. Certainly lived a full life.

I remember him, but when I read the thread title I was thinking of the guy on the Expos, but that was Mike Jorgensen.

You gotta be of a certain age to know him. I remember him because, throughout my childhood in the 70s, my parents watched the 10 o'clock news on Channel 5 pretty much every weekday evening. His voice and image were omnipresent in my youth.

"Thanking you for your time this time, until next time.”

R.I.P.

fitting that you posted this during the 10pm News Hour.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
He's a Met to me.
When I started following sports, he was an Expo, but out of curiosity I checked out his career history. He started out with the Mets and actually returned there from 1980-83. He was probably in Montreal the longest for one consecutive run 1972-77. Bounced around other places but it appears to still be in baseball in the Cards front office.

Wow. remember thinking he was old when I was a kid. Not being a jerk just really surprised he was still alive. RIP.

Wow. remember thinking he was old when I was a kid. Not being a jerk just really surprised he was still alive. RIP.
He was 96, so when we were watching him he would've been in his mid 40s to early 50s, so he did look kind of old then. Then again, we were young and a lot of people looked old to us. Now the script is flipped - everyone looks really young, "Are you sure you can order a beer in here young man?" 😂

Reactions: Bagarocks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT