ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bohanon on player retention

RUsojo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2010

One of the major things touted by NIL proponents was the likelihood of college players remaining in school rather than declaring early.

For a lot of people, they have said they miss college basketball being about keeping the same group of guys together rather than the key guys in the roster changing so often. This should make those people a little happy I would think.

they are coming back because they are not getting a sniff at the next level domestically, and don't want to eat stuffed cabbage in Moldova for the next three years.
They are coming back because they are borderline draft picks and now can make money for their families by coming back while getting an education. Whereas before, guys who come from low income households would take that risk jeopardizing any other options because their family needed the help. We’ve had a few cases of that at Rutgers in just my time there. (Also love your profile picture lol).

Everybody's situation is different obviously, would be idiotic for guy like Timme to not stay for high six figures after he was told first round is a pipe dream and toss up to make a roster. Doesn't sound like he's financially supporting his family either.

For a lot of people, they have said they miss college basketball being about keeping the same group of guys together rather than the key guys in the roster changing so often. This should make those people a little happy I would think.
If they're borderline NBA and coming back for the money, then wouldn't they want to go into the portal to see how much money they're actually worth? Why would guys stick together if they can now make more somewhere else? I think you put too much faith into loyalty when the almighty dollar has proven to win out time and time again. Same with the guys staying to feed their family, why eat hamburger when you can have steak.

Reactions: RU at the shore
If they're borderline NBA and coming back for the money, then wouldn't they want to go into the portal to see how much money they're actually worth? Why would guys stick together if they can now make more somewhere else? I think you put too much faith into loyalty when the almighty dollar has proven to win out time and time again. Same with the guys staying to feed their family, why eat hamburger when you can have steak.
You could get a higher paying job tomorrow. Have you? Most people can,

Some will most won’t. No harm in that.

Reactions: FastMJ
I dislike the NIL as Pay For Play as a recruiting tactic. I also dislike NIL as a way to lure 'free agents' from one school to the next.

That said, I don't mind an established guy like McConnell sticking around another year with NIL money. For guys who have built up some goodwill and contributed to the program to get some NIL money to stick around is the definitely the one thing about NIL that I like. I hate the significant amount of roster turnover in all college sports these days and to the extent NIL keeps teams together (as opposed to breaking them apart), that is a good thing.

Reactions: toby83
You could get a higher paying job tomorrow. Have you? Most people can,

Some will most won’t.
College sports to real life situations are not comparable. Never have been never will be. All they have to do is put their name in the portal, that's fill out a piece of paper. Then suitors come to them with their offers. Their job interview has already taken place. Potential winner provides housing and meals with a check too boot maybe a car even too. Not sure how that equates to a real life situation such as a job search, interview process, uprooting an established family and finding/selling housing. Even with that, most people if they found a job for $50k more would take the offer.

Reactions: S_Janowski
College sports to real life situations are not comparable. Never have been never will be. All they have to do is put their name in the portal, that's fill out a piece of paper. Then suitors come to them with their offers. Their job interview has already taken place. Potential winner provides housing and meals with a check too boot maybe a car even too. Not sure how that equates to a real life situation such as a job search, interview process, uprooting an established family and finding/selling housing. Even with that, most people if they found a job for $50k more would take the offer.
Hate to break it to you but college sports is real life with real people.

You can literally do exactly what you described on LinkedIn and have a job offer pending discussion the next day. I’ve done it. I’m sure many here have. There’s literally a button for it. In fact its easier you don’t even have to “fill out a paper”!

Hate to break it to you, college athletes don't even live the same life as everyday students. You're out in LaLa land on this one.
This is not a cogent response to the previous posts.

This is not a cogent response to the previous posts.
Because you edited your post. So I had to delete mine.

And yes if people got a job that paid them a significant amount more they would accept the job. You're also comparing a career to a 4 to 5 yr. time frame. College basketball isn't a career job, it's a make as much as you can when you can get it. Look at all the professional leagues are they staying with a team out of a sense of loyalty or trying to make as much as they can? The same thing will eventually happen in college, this is no longer amateur sports. There's money to be made, get it while you can, because the time frame is short.

Reactions: RUsojo
Because you edited your post. So I had to delete mine.

And yes if people got a job that paid them a significant amount more they would accept the job. You're also comparing a career to a 4 to 5 yr. time frame. College basketball isn't a career job, it's now a make as much as you can when you can get it. Look at all the professional leagues are they staying with a team out of a sense of loyalty or trying to make as much as they can? The same thing will eventually happen in college, this is no longer amateur sports.
You were to quick for me

I think the whole thing here is amateur sports has been a myth for a long time, but providing the players with an ability to profit no matter how unrelegated the system is, does not substantially change the lack of parity on the field OR the actual on field play.

So I personally don’t see the harm

• Haha
Reactions: koleszar
You were to quick for me

I think the whole thing here is amateur sports has been a myth for a long time, but providing the players with an ability to profit no matter how unrelegated the system is, does not substantially change the lack of parity on the field OR the actual on field play.

So I personally don’t see the harm
I have a tough time seeing OSU keeping $13 mil. on the down low all these years. A couple players here and there, sure they broke the rules but not to this extent. Now you have an AD and Coach soliciting Boosters to directly pay athletes. I think we can officially drop the charade of the "NIL" moniker and call it for what it is pay for play.

Reactions: Rutgers36
They are coming back because they are borderline draft picks and now can make money for their families by coming back while getting an education. Whereas before, guys who come from low income households would take that risk jeopardizing any other options because their family needed the help. We’ve had a few cases of that at Rutgers in just my time there. (Also love your profile picture lol).
And here's my first positive consideration for NIL. Boy I guess it has nice possibilities but I am sure that it will get all fracked up by some.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I have a tough time seeing OSU keeping $13 mil. on the down low all these years. A couple players here and there, sure they broke the rules but not to this extent. Now you have an AD and Coach soliciting Boosters to directly pay athletes. I think we can officially drop the charade of the "NIL" moniker and call it for what it is pay for play.

OSU athletic revenue was recently over $200 million.
Is this the "parity" that NIL is upsetting now?

Nobody cares about schools spending hundreds of millions on athletes "indirectly" but as soon as a single dollar goes "directly" all of a sudden little pure college athletics is corrupted.

https://news.osu.edu/ohio-state-athletics-notches-record-revenue-spends-less-than-last-year/

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/inside-college-sports-biggest-money-machine/

Reactions: RUsojo

One of the major things touted by NIL proponents was the likelihood of college players remaining in school rather than declaring early.

Very good point but that WAS an advantage to teams like us. As we had guys stay the whole time

Reactions: koleszar
Very good point but that WAS an advantage to teams like us. As we had guys stay the whole time
Did we ? I remember a lot of high profile transfers over the years .
We also had many lousy players stay and we were lousy for 30 years

Bohannon does know a thing or two about player retention. He was at iowa long enough even without NIL

they are coming back because they are not getting a sniff at the next level domestically, and don't want to eat stuffed cabbage in Moldova for the next three years.
This. Sojo wont acknowledge the truth though.

And jo-bo is a baby. Hes hardcore NIL and nothing could change his mind. He embarrassed himself and exposed himself for how little thinking he does a couple years ago. Hard to take a kid like him serious. jo-bo tried to claim to me that the same exact fan would buy jerseys of him if he played for nebraska rather than iowa lol. As if the fans root for him and not iowa

Last edited by a moderator:
Bohannon is either not that bright , or HIGHLY delusional and out of touch

though anybody that has read his clippings in the past already knew this

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Rutgers did not have a player play 4 years under the same head coach between Hamady N'diaye and Geo Baker (and Myles, if you count his RS year).

This. Sojo wont acknowledge the truth though.

And jo-bo is a baby. Hes hardcore NIL and nothing could change his mind. He embarrassed himself and exposed himself for how little thinking he does a couple years ago. Hard to take a kid like him serious. jo-bo tried to claim to me that the same exact fan would buy jerseys of him if he played for nebraska rather than iowa lol. As if the fans root for him and not iowa

This can’t be healthy batting it out with this guy on social media. But I did enjoy reading the exchange !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT