ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Computer Purchase Advice

For a Microsoft PC/Laptop get a Lenovo, Dell or HP. Better hardware. Try to get at least 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD and it will perform. I7 chip latest generation is good. You don't need I9. I5 is dated. Get enough ports for what you need, since they are limited on the newer models.

Other than that, it's all preference.

I'm a PhD in Comp Sci and a CTO. Don't overthink it.
That's why I just bought an HP Envy 16" laptop with an I7 chip, 32GB RAM and a 1TB solid state drive. It was "only" about $1400 vs. the higher end HP Spectre with similar specs, which would've been about $2200 (my last laptop, which just died after 4+ years was a Spectre). I like laptops since I actually spend most of my computer time with the laptop on my lap (in my favorite recliner or in bed) and while I'm not a gamer or hard core power user, I do a lot of email, a ton of surfing (with dozens of tabs open), and some spreadsheeting and slide presentations, so I need more than a minimal setup. I also like having a large, high quality monitor for occasional streaming. The I5 chip cheaper laptops just looked slow and the monitors on the cheaper laptops simply didn't look as crisp or clear.

Pretty happy with my choice after a month. I would also recommend the annual Geek Squad contract for support through Best Buy, as I've had a few major problems over the years (failed hard drives, dead batteries, broken keyboards, etc.) and they've usually done a nice job of fixing those issues (their labor is free; have to pay for replacement parts, obviously), which I'm not skilled enough to do on my own.

Reactions: thegock
I find as i get older the bigger screens are much better for me. Looking for a 17"

Keep in mind that two 17" monitors can have different resolutions.
One choice for a 17-inch monitor is a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels or 1280 x 1024 pixels.
The 1024 will make icons and such look smaller than on the 768.
The larger the rez the smaller the icons, text etc.

I keep putting off purchasing a new computer. However, my Lenovo is on its last legs. Costco has an HP Pavillion Plus 16 inch laptop on sale for $799. What do you think?
Thanks In Advance!

That's a nice rig. I like the B1GGER screen, now that I don't do business travel. Usually buy up on the RAM, higher res screen and better video. That way, it has a longer back end.

BTW, where has @Proud NJ Sports Fan gone?

Please stop with the Apple cult. The lowest price apple laptop is $1099 with a small 13 inch screen. The lowest price apple with a 16 inch screen is $2500. I've have an hp laptop that I bought used 7 years ago for $75 and I still use it on business trips.

Here are the questions you need to answer to tell you which laptop would be best :

1) How old are you and how good are your eyes?
2) Are you a gamer?
3) How often do you travel with your laptop?
I worked in the wireless industry for years. Fruit phone company was the biggest PITA to deal with. To this day I don't allow any Apples in my house that i cant eat.

I worked in the wireless industry for years. Fruit phone company was the biggest PITA to deal with. To this day I don't allow any Apples in my house that i cant eat.
Apple and HP are my clients. Apple folks are great. HP have been the biggest PITA’s for over 25 years. I stopped buying HP products because of them.

One time one of their tech folks told me HP has a zero defect policy and applies that to their vendors. That same week I bought one of their DVD burners and printer. Both were a pain in the ass to install/set up. I let her know. She agreed with me. 😃

• Haha
Reactions: miket007
Not reading thru the entire thread but for those saying Lenovo, Dell and HP laptops are cheaper than Apple, most are cheap for a reason. My wife always uses Lenovo laptops. I customized one recently and it was over $2500. And that was a lower end. I think I got it to $4400. Ridiculous.

My work laptop is Lenovo. Base price is $1700.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Lenovo continues IBM's dedication to tip-top hardware and builds.
Then the CPP packs things with malware and trojans like nobody else.
Stuff can be impossible to detect.
When they get caught and stuff is removed, they put it right back in.

"The Problem: High-Risk Chinese Tech Products in Government NetworksAt a time when the House Select Committee on the Chinese Communist Party is investigating how Chinese nationals have gained access to U.S. military installations, it should put an equal focus on how companies substantially owned by Chinese entities have successfully and legally deployed their products inside the Department of Defense. This strategy was brazenly put on display at the Naval.."

Don't buy anything with AI hardware.
Its spyware pretending to be a helper.
Ads can say your computer will be able to help you more but that's because its going to Hoover-up your stuff and do a little pattern recon.

AI Relies On Mass Surveillance, Warns Signal Boss​

https://www.barrons.com/news/ai-relies-on-mass-surveillance-warns-signal-boss-20280d0a

Elon Musk urges millions to switch-off controversial Windows 11 feature that takes screenshots on your PC​

OMG... I had not even thought of this possibility.

WOW.. is that why the new announced M4 chip iPads are relatively inexpensive compared to previous gen (ie not much more expensive)? They figure the value of customer usage data into the pricing equation? The new MS Surfaces will have an AI chip too.

Last edited:
Did you make your choice yet? Has anyone asked you what you use the laptop for? Do you photo/video edit? Do you game (types of games)? Do you need a typical laptop or tocuhscreen/tablet format capable?
I use it for mostly everyday stuff, such as browsing the internet, streaming and downloading the racing form.

I find as i get older the bigger screens are much better for me. Looking for a 17"
Distance to screen matters. A 14 inch iPad Pro in your hands may appear nearly as large as a 17 inch laptop at arms length or a 65 inch TV on a wall. Of course, then you get into what distances your eyes still work at without help. I wonder what is happening to kids eyes with all the short-range focus on phones during their formative years.

PS.. monitor resolution and what you use it for will demand certain performance measures from the rest of the hardware. Best to know everything before making such a choice. Hi-res monitor with modest hardware and high demand applications could be a nightmare.

OMG... I had not even thought of this possibility.

WOW.. is that why the new announced M4 chip iPads are relatively inexpensive compared to previous gen (ie not much more expensive)? They figure the value of customer usage data into the pricing equation? The new MS Surfaces will have an AI chip too.

The gov used AI to do censorship at Yahoo, Facebook etc.
Then Musk bought Twitter and the mask came off and the web collapsed.
Now its resuscitated as new and "revolutionary" but its just beefed-up pattern recognition on steroids.
It will be heavy on the remote and client sides to build a digital shadow of everyone

Gov wants people thinking AI infallible for when they get letter saying (AI) they owe another $2500 tax.
They will also build quotas into "results" under the "justice" fig leaf.
They are already saying minorities (and the recent invaders) have to be put at top of organ lists.
Veterans, people who paid taxes all their lives will be put behind sketchy anons from around the globe.
Manipulators will use AI magic eight ball as results cover for all kinds of chaos.

"In the end, AI reflects the principles of the people who build it, the people who use it, and the data upon which it is built. I firmly believe that the power of our ideals; the foundations of our society; and the creativity, diversity, and decency of our people are the reasons that America thrived in past eras of rapid change. They are the reasons we will succeed again in this moment. We are more than capable of harnessing AI for justice, security, and opportunity for all."

Should AI allocate livers for transplant? Public attitudes and ethical considerations​

Now its resuscitated as new and "revolutionary" but its just beefed-up pattern recognition on steroids.
It will be heavy on the remote and client sides to build a digital shadow of everyone

Gov wants people thinking AI infallible for when they get letter saying (AI) they owe another $2500 tax.
They are already saying minorities (and the recent invaders) have to be put at top of organ lists.
Veterans, people who paid taxes all their lives will be put behind sketchy anons from around the globe.
Manipulators will use AI magic eight ball as results cover for all kinds of chaos.

"In the end, AI reflects the principles of the people who build it, the people who use it, and the data upon which it is built. I firmly believe that the power of our ideals; the foundations of our society; and the creativity, diversity, and decency of our people are the reasons that America thrived in past eras of rapid change. They are the reasons we will succeed again in this moment. We are more than capable of harnessing AI for justice, security, and opportunity for all."

Should AI allocate livers for transplant? Public attitudes and ethical considerations​

I ask for assistance in the purchase of a new computer. What do I get? I get a link to an article in the Freebeacon.com regarding kidney transplants. Unbelievable! For those of you old enough to remember, it is reminiscent of the telephone game.

I ask for assistance in the purchase of a new computer. What do I get? I get a link to an article in the Freebeacon.com regarding kidney transplants. Unbelievable! For those of you old enough to remember, it is reminiscent of the telephone game.

Best computer advice you got is to avoid AI hardware and Windows 11.
You can get 10 for free
Act fast since war imminent

You know I respect your intelligence but dude, that there is one of your more insane posts and that's saying something. But, you know, you do you. It's entertaining and that's what we're all here for.

BTW, twitter does more censorship now that it did before Musk. I posted pretty clear evidence about that in the EVs thread. That populist yet incredibly easily disproven twitter myth is ridiculously persistent. It's kinda funny, but also kinda irritatingly dumb.

I think if you connect the dots in this thread and what @ashokan posted:

1. An Apple/Mac is too expensive. You cant afford one unless you donate a kidney
2. If you buy a Windows 11 machine with AI loaded, you will be forced to donate a kidney.

Maybe I misinterpreted.

Seriously, the best advice in this thread is for you to get a simple Chromebook. It will meet all your needs. You can use one as a tablet, or as a traditional laptop.

Best computer advice you got is to avoid AI hardware and Windows 11.
You can get 10 for free
Act fast since war imminent

I think if you connect the dots in this thread and what @ashokan posted:

1. An Apple/Mac is too expensive. You cant afford one unless you donate a kidney
2. If you buy a Windows 11 machine with AI loaded, you will be forced to donate a kidney.

Maybe I misinterpreted.

Seriously, the best advice in this thread is for you to get a simple Chromebook. It will meet all your needs. You can use one as a tablet, or as a traditional laptop.

Thank you very much for a thoughtful and succinct reply!

Reactions: Knight Shift
Posts like @ashokan's are what makes this board great. OP asks a basic question and you never know how the thread will turn. We need to invite him to a tailgate. Endless stories and information I am sure.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Posts like @ashokan's are what makes this board great. OP asks a basic question and you never know how the thread will turn. We need to invite him to a tailgate. Endless stories and information I am sure.
There’s a drinking or betting game to be made of this. Pull up a thread, read the last post and you get three guesses to pick what the OP was about.

hmm.. seems political for this thread.. but geeze.. just heard Bidens new crackdown still allows that app to be used by border crossers to declare them "legal".. so they don't count towards the illegal numbers. /end-rant

I have to say.. ash has an angle of this worth considering. Of course, everything we do seems to go up into the cloud one way or another.. through a few big companies servers.

But there's a reason why Win11 demands a processor capable of reporting its unique ID (and location?) and the BIOS options to allow it to do so.

Why is that so important now? It is about CONTROL in the name of "security". I bet, like new cars with chips.. corporations or "the authorities" can turn off the computer or watch what it is doing any old time they want.

Not sure how the AI chips make this more likely. At best I can use my furtive imagination to think remote calls to the AI chip could have your computer doing things you are not aware of... building evidence against you... and looking exactly like you would in writing.. even voice... video and images are close to being indistinguishable.. but they'd have to use server farms for that I think.

Yeah, I know, that's crazy... but entirely plausible.

You know I respect your intelligence but dude, that there is one of your more insane posts and that's saying something. But, you know, you do you. It's entertaining and that's what we're all here for.

BTW, twitter does more censorship now that it did before Musk. I posted pretty clear evidence about that in the EVs thread. That populist yet incredibly easily disproven twitter myth is ridiculously persistent. It's kinda funny, but also kinda irritatingly dumb.

No its not only right on but even worse than I thought
Many people banned by Twitter are back on.
There could always be the rogue worker because tech is full of cyber-nazis .

I have to say.. ash has an angle of this worth considering. Of course, everything we do seems to go up into the cloud one way or another.. through a few big companies servers.

But there's a reason why Win11 demands a processor capable of reporting its unique ID (and location?) and the BIOS options to allow it to do so.

Why is that so important now? It is about CONTROL in the name of "security". I bet, like new cars with chips.. corporations or "the authorities" can turn off the computer or watch what it is doing any old time they want.

Not sure how the AI chips make this more likely. At best I can use my furtive imagination to think remote calls to the AI chip could have your computer doing things you are not aware of... building evidence against you... and looking exactly like you would in writing.. even voice... video and images are close to being indistinguishable.. but they'd have to use server farms for that I think.

Yeah, I know, that's crazy... but entirely plausible.

Recently learned MS 11 and AI chips will be using key-logging as well as screen capping

CoPilot+ PCs, Windows Recall, Keylogging Privacy Invasions!​

oops.. I use Co-Pilot.. occasionally.. Something tells me I am using it a lot more than I think.. heheh

This is how MS described keyloggers last year

" Spyware can exist on any device with an internet connection, whether it’s your tablet, a desktop computer, or even a mobile phone. Keyloggers are among the most common form of spyware, and they can leak your private information to hackers with devastating consequences."

Could your tablet have a keylogger installed?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT