ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Davidson, NC

RUWillEm

Redshirt
Nov 14, 2015
Hi, all. I am likely going to be asked to transfer to Kannapolis, NC. There is not much in Kannapolis and I hear that you probably wouldn't want to live there. We have been looking on-line in towns like Davidson, Cornelius, Huntersville, Mooresville, and Concord. My wife is from Chapel Hill so we know the Triangle well but do not have much experience with the Charlotte area.
We have a son in kindergarten and a daughter in pre-school so picking a town with good schools is a priority. My wife does freelance writing from home so no issues with a commute for her. I'd like to be within 30 minutes of Kannapolis.
We have a decent amount of equity in our 3 bedroom home on .5 acres in Livingston so I'm really excited about the type of home we'll be able to get in NC. Also excited to be paying about one third of my current property taxes!
Anyone live in or know the area well enough to offer advice or recommendations?

You should speak with folks at your Kannapolis facility and get their input. Davidson is a neat "kind of" college town, and Lake Norman is right there as is the town of Cornelius. Check out Zillow and Realtor.com for a look at real estate. NC has been growing fast (thanks to all you Yankees and Midwesterners), so I'm sure there are lots of "developments" in that region, to suit your needs and budget. Kannapolis is, as you know, a former mill town: Cannon Mills = "Cannon"-apolis = Kannapolis. It's undergone somewhat of a renaissance of late. Good luck.

Look for a real estate agent that is originally from NY/NJ. Not only will they know the area, but they will be able to explain the cultural differences and tell you where to get decent pizza, bagels, etc.

I have lived in Raleigh 20+ years. Amazing how much cheaper it is. I don't know anyone with a commute of greater than 15 minutes.

Reactions: KeithK7624
I am currently in school and am looking to get a job down in that area and so I'm really interested in this thread to see what people have to say about the different towns down there

Look at the Point on Lake Norman. Custom built primary residences. If you like the water, you will love this community developed by Duke Power. Remember you will be a 3 hour drive to the ocean from the Charlotte area.

Scroll thru this gallery:

https://www.thepointatlkn.com/gallery.html

Last edited:
I am currently in school and am looking to get a job down in that area and so I'm really interested in this thread to see what people have to say about the different towns down there

I live in Raleigh and know little about Charlotte. There are a LOT of big High Tech and Pharma companies here and many other options for work. The good news is there are many towns surrounding Raleigh that are good options. Raleigh is a great place to live too. Good jobs, much cheaper than NJ and you can pick a place to live based on your job that will give you a short commute compared to most of my friends in NJ. I grew up in Bergen County and this area looks like Bergen County. Lots to do, but you will always find something you miss. My House is bigger than the one my parents sold in NJ 15 years ago and cost a little more than half of what they sold for.

Concord has great neighborhoods, decidedly upscale. Davidson has been rated ahead of Duke in some surveys as North Carolina's best university. Charlotte's an easy drive from where you'll be and there's a ton of stuff do there with the family. Congratulations, I think you're going to be very happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT