ADVERTISEMENT

OT: December 8, 1980 Cosell Announces Death of John Lennon

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
What got completely overlooked on that tragic day was the flight of the New York Giants returning Sunday night from Seattle. The landing gear coming into Newark International wouldn't deploy and the plane made an emergency landing.

Monday Night Football Announces Lennon's Killing:

gs86ZFv.jpg

I never liked The Beatles but I liked Lennon and Oko because they were very New Yorky.
Good interview linked where Cavett just basically tells Ono "So you're the girl who broke-up the Beatles" and the couple just roll with it - no canned spam like today.

I never liked The Beatles but I liked Lennon and Oko because they were very New Yorky.
Good interview linked where Cavett just basically tells Ono "So you're the girl who broke-up the Beatles" and the couple just roll with it - no canned spam like today.

John broke up The Beatles in a very matter-of-fact way in a meeting. Simple as that. She didn't directly cause it...but was a huge factor. He wasn't into it anymore. Thats factual.

Reactions: ashokan
I was watching at the time of Cosell's announcement but all these years later thought it was during a MNF Raiders game. Anyhow, such a terrible shame.

Reactions: Bagarocks
John broke up The Beatles in a very matter-of-fact way in a meeting. Simple as that. She didn't directly cause it...but was a huge factor. He wasn't into it anymore. Thats factual.
John WAS the Beatles.

In the interview he said he didn't want band to be the Marx Bros being dragged on stage to be singing "She Loves You" when you have asthma and tuberculous at 50..."Yeesssterday"..he was pretty funny at 2:30

I had graduated from RU earlier that year and at that time had a job that required me to get up very early. I had been watching MNF that night and went to bed early. The next morning I was driving to work and couldn’t figure out why WPLJ in NYC played 3 or 4 Beatles songs in a row. Finally the DJ explained what happened. A terrible tragedy that took a talented and creative artist.

I liked the Stones more than the Beatles but still not a lot.
Stones were more American feeling than Beatles.
To this day I see Harley bikers ride with Stones playing.
The Beatles were very British despite the blues influences etc etc.
Brits relate to words/images differently
No surprise Hendrix (lived in England) wanted to play Sgt Peppers a few days after release and Beatles in the audience.

“I prefer to play in Europe, because here people listen and understand what it’s all about, whereas they freak out in the States"

Beatles are "one group that you can’t really put down because they’re just too much. And it’s so embarrassing, man, when America is sending over the Monkees – oh, God, that kills me!” - Hendrix

George was done too. He was developing as a songwriter, and was sick of his little brother status.

Ringo pretty much went with the flow.

Paul was the only one who really wanted to keep the group together. He wanted the group literally to "get back to where they once belonged" - a rocking, touring band. But George hated touring and John had moved on from it.

When the group disbanded, they left the door open for a reunion someday. They made a pact: any group calling itself the Beatles would consist of John, Paul, George, and Ringo - all four, accept no substitutes. To this day, Paul and Ringo (who have appeared together on stage many times over the years) have abided by that pact.

Reactions: cicero grimes
On The Jimi Hendrix Experience first tour of the US, they were put on tour with and opened for The Monkees which was ridiculous. Of course Hendrix was often booed because the crowd had no clue what he was doing. Hendrix had first hand experience with the race problem/racism in the US while a backing musician with R&B groups touring “The Chitlen Circuit” in the early to mid 60s. Things were less oppressive in the UK. It took the Beatles and Stones arrival in the US to spread blues based Rock n Roll to a young generation of mainstream white kids. There had been a severe mainstream “backlash” against the early and gritty R&B based rock music by Little Richard, Elvis Presley , Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry. It was considered “dangerous, immoral, promoting sex, violence” and other horrors. The usual nonsense. There was a similar backlash against Rap and Hip Hop before it became mainstream.

FWIW, the Beatles absolutely loved the Monkees - but as comedians not as musicians. John Lennon had compared their comic chops to the Marx Brothers.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Watching the game that night it came as a bolt out of the blue. The aftermath with the vigils was moving. I am not sure if the passing of any celebrity today would lead to the same level of grief and emotion.

Reactions: RUhasarrived
Watching the game that night it came as a bolt out of the blue. The aftermath with the vigils was moving. I am not sure if the passing of any celebrity today would lead to the same level of grief and emotion.
The Swifties will come for you now…

angry mob GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

I was too young for Beatlemania so I cannot compare but she’s pretty close, if not right there, for hysteria
True. But John Lennon was killed about a decade after the Beatles broke up. Swift is at the height of her popularity now. Will her music still have a lasting impact a decade from now.? Time will tell.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
There had been a severe mainstream “backlash” against the early and gritty R&B based rock music by Little Richard, Elvis Presley , Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry. It was considered “dangerous, immoral, promoting sex, violence” and other horrors. The usual nonsense. There was a similar backlash against Rap and Hip Hop before it became mainstream.

A lot of dead rockers and rappers show there is something legit about the vice associations imo.
That's a reason I liked R&B growing-up.
Those artists had some issues but most of them came out of church musical traditions with .
Rockers were often real sketchy characters and to this day I cant listen to much of the druggie music.
Where rockers were suicidal the rappers are homicidal.
Rhythm has hypnotic functions and it tends to stoke the lower nature - a reason soldiers, fighters etc like rap - makes them feel jumpy and ready to fight.

I know its uncool to criticize music, but a lot of modern music history highlights a considerable wake of destruction within it. In the 1600s it was said that music soothes the savage beast. In the later 1900s it began to agitate the beast and a lot of dead/broken people resulted from that. Dead rappers/rockers could make-up quite a cemetery

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
A lot of dead rockers and rappers show there is something legit about the vice associations imo.
That's a reason I liked R&B growing-up.
Those artists had some issues but most of them came out of church musical traditions with .
Rockers were often real sketchy characters and to this day I cant listen to much of the druggie music.
Where rockers were suicidal the rappers are homicidal.
Rhythm has hypnotic functions and it tends to stoke the lower nature - a reason soldiers, fighters etc like rap - makes them feel jumpy and ready to fight.

I know its uncool to criticize music, but a lot of modern music history highlights a considerable wake of destruction within it. In the 1600s it was said that music soothes the savage beast. In the later 1900s it began to agitate the beast and a lot of dead/broken people resulted from that. Dead rappers/rockers could make-up quite a cemetery
While I appreciate the view and sentiment to some degree, I’m not sure it is all that accurate. Surely there has been addictive driven carnage within Rock and Rap. That also applies to Jazz and even the more spiritually based R&B (of which I’m a big fan). There is a long list of R&B performers who developed addictive and destructive over indulgence behaviors. To say that Rockers were suicidal and Rappers homicidal, that is a very generalized and I think overall inaccurate take on things. Millions of all types of people listen to Rock and Rap and certainly are not drawn to suicidal and homicidal tendencies. For me personally, Rap and Hip Hop music doesn’t “move” me emotionally at all. Neither does very heavy, distorted Heavy Metal music. The Rock , R&B soul based music I listen to is the true thing in life that nourishes my spirit. Formal religion does not do that for me. My belief is that the music of all those “suicidal, homicidal” artists does a lot more saving and healing than any clergy, political or other “leader” could possibly do.

For me personally, Rap and Hip Hop music doesn’t “move” me emotionally at all. Neither does very heavy, distorted Heavy Metal music.
Bad poetry over a drum machine doesn't move me either.
And heavy metal I've always regarded as clown music aimed at scaring young boys in their bedroom late at night.

I was too young for Beatlemania so I cannot compare but she’s pretty close, if not right there, for hysteria

If social media and the internet had existed back then the Beatles would have been bigger.

Reactions: Kbee3
While I appreciate the view and sentiment to some degree, I’m not sure it is all that accurate. Surely there has been addictive driven carnage within Rock and Rap. That also applies to Jazz and even the more spiritually based R&B (of which I’m a big fan). There is a long list of R&B performers who developed addictive and destructive over indulgence behaviors. To say that Rockers were suicidal and Rappers homicidal, that is a very generalized and I think overall inaccurate take on things. Millions of all types of people listen to Rock and Rap and certainly are not drawn to suicidal and homicidal tendencies. For me personally, Rap and Hip Hop music doesn’t “move” me emotionally at all. Neither does very heavy, distorted Heavy Metal music. The Rock , R&B soul based music I listen to is the true thing in life that nourishes my spirit. Formal religion does not do that for me. My belief is that the music of all those “suicidal, homicidal” artists does a lot more saving and healing than any clergy, political or other “leader” could possibly do.

I never liked Jazz much either - the pop jazz is ok.
Yes there is tragedy among R&B but not like rockers and rappers.
When I was a kid and first listened to Zeppelin I felt dirty lol (I grew to like Stairway though),
Earth, Wind and Fire, Stylistics, Chi-Lites, Temptations, Dianna Ross, Stevie, Isley Brothers, Aretha, 5th Dimension, Kool & the Gang and others - not a lot of short lives or ODs in that crowd.
They used to dress sharp and and used nice lyrics. Compare Marilyn McCoo to the Megan the Stallion. Its like all class vs all a$$.

The black churches were the place for black people to socialize and music was more a part of that than other churches/groups. Rhiannon Giddens often talks about how Americans have lost their traditional music learning and cant even sing Happy Birthday well. That wasn't not true of black churches. My town was mixed and my sports teams where 30-40% black and on bus rides home or around campfires they could all sing like crazy because they learned as kids.

I suspect a lot of that is gone now because the rappers aren't generally trained in church. Nobody despised rap as much as the black grandparents that came-up from the South after the 60s.

List of murdered hip hop musicians​

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
I was attending Montclair State at the time. Some bozo painted 'Lenin Lives" in giant lettering on a building there. Ugh. Still pissed to this day about that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT