ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dickie V, show on ESPN

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
So good. So emotional. So inspiring. Touched on Rutgers.

I first met Dick Vitale at Rutgers Prep Basketball Camp when I was a young kid. He was so energetic and motivational. He always taught with passion. Taught me how to do a crossover..

My Mom worked in the cafeteria at Prep below the gym, filling vending machines. He would always go out of his way to stop and talk to my Mom, “Hey, Millie!” He would shout. She would always give him a sandwich.

I truly hope Rutgers brings him back SOON like THIS YEAR, and honor him with a banner while he’s still here with us to hear the RAC shower him with love.

Make it so. He deserves it.

I first met Dick Vitale at Rutgers Prep Basketball Camp when I was a young kid. He was so energetic and motivational. He always taught with passion. Taught me how to do a crossover..

My Mom worked in the cafeteria at Prep below the gym, filling vending machines. He would always go out of his way to stop and talk to my Mom, “Hey, Millie!” He would shout. She would always give him a sandwich.

I truly hope Rutgers brings him back SOON like THIS YEAR, and honor him with a banner while he’s still here with us to hear the RAC shower him with love.

Just watched it, too. Great program.

It's a shame Vitale has never broadcast a game at the RAC. He coached there as the Pistons' HC in the late 70s.

Some way, somehow arrangements need to be made for him to sit in the concrete perch at center court and finally broadcast a game before it's too late.

Your mom was awesome.
Were you at Prep? When?

No I went to and played at Franklin with Roy. My Mom worked there..
Your mom was kind and anchored that space for years.

My memories of that lunch room are four:
1) walking there from the upper school without a coat no matter how cold (of course we had to wear sport coats)
2) lousy food with limited selection
3) Rory O'Connell (my classmate) telling me I should stop drinking soda and start drinking milk ( which I did, for years after) and
4) your Mom and how kind she was to us there

Loyal

Last edited:
Years ago I sat next to Dickie V on a flight, and for a couple hours we talked hoops and Rutgers. When we landed he asked for my business card and then he mailed me the book he had just published, which he signed for me, along with this note: "Bill, you're awesome baby!"

Your mom was kind and anchored that space for years.

My memories of that lunch room are four:
1) walking there from the upper school without a coat no matter how cold (of course we had to wear sport coats)
2) lousy food with limited selection
3) Rory O'Connell (my classmate) taking me I should stop driving dogs and start drinking milk ( which I did, for years after) and
4) your Mom and how kind she was to us there

Loyal
Loyal!

Awe man this means so much to me, thank you! Mom lived to be 90, and was very loving to everyone. She cared for all of you!

Rory and Johnny O! Yes! I was younger, so you may have seen me running around the cafeteria alot! :)
I went to all the summer camps thanks to Mr O Connell. I also ran the clock at BBall games when they needed.

I also remember having a crush on a RP cheerleader, Kathy Klein! :)

Man, thanks so much for the memories and kind words

Loyal!

Awe man this means so much to me, thank you! Mom lived to be 90, and was very loving to everyone. She cared for all of you!

Rory and Johnny O! Yes! I was younger, so you may have seen me running around the cafeteria alot! :)
I went to all the summer camps thanks to Mr O Connell. I also ran the clock at BBall games when they needed.

I also remember having a crush on a RP cheerleader, Kathy Klein! :)

Man, thanks so much for the memories and kind words
My pleasure to offer those comments, they are from the heart.

So glad your mom lived a good and long life. I know she touched a lot of kids at Prep.

Kathy was very cute.

Nice to meet you in via the board.
Loyal

My pleasure to offer those comments, they are from the heart.

So glad your mom lived a good and long life. I know she touched a lot of kids at Prep.

Kathy was very cute.

Nice to meet you in via the board.
Loyal
Thanks she sure did! Absolutely, if you are going to the game would be cool to meet up. !
Whatever happened to Kathy!? :)

Thanks she sure did! Absolutely, if you are going to the game would be cool to meet up. !
Whatever happened to Kathy!? :)
That's a great question, lol.

I hope to go. I have a 7 yo so it's always a bit uncertain, I'm on 214, you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT