ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Double Secret Probation...Again

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
Saw this article on movies that would have problems today. One of the movies / the reason I clicked on the bait, was because of Animal House.:

The unseen PC police didn't like Bluto's scene where he was stalking / peeping on Mandy (who was very well built- can I say that?).

Meanwhile they seem to have forgotten what's going on today with congressmen sending dick pics (e.g. Anthony Weiner), or the parodies of :

1. the frats brutalizing their pledges (Kevin Bacon asking for another)
2. fat shaming Flounder
3. The Jewish frat says all our answers were wrong....leave the scene / reference IN (and I'm a MOT)
4. The scene when Delta goes on a road trip and winds up in a black bar-where a few from the pre hip hop generation ask for permission to dance with the Delta's dates (one of whom was studying primitive cultures)
5. and Tons' more (e.g. getting girls / women drunk / taking advantage - Pinto & Karen Allen)

It was and is a F'ing great movie. Leave it alone!!!
Take your PC crap and shove it....I will continue to honor Bluto, Otter, Schoenstein (sp.) for as long as we remember the day that the German's bombed Pearl Harbor.

MGM...Make Great Movies (again).

MO

OGC.ec77a824d7b9aa297a038cc74a1b4c2f

OGC.c64f07671612e3a88a9d9e48bef82e19

You forgot about this one. The heart stopper. Literally! Chug a bottle of Jack and your hearts stopping!

They had no problem with pretending to be the boyfriend of a dead person or abusing the horse? Just

Great movie.

I find the best thing to do with folks who want to run around whining about older movies or whatever, want to cancel stuff, is say "okay" and then ignore them. Like I care what anybody else thinks about the movies I like.

There's nothing wrong with being politically correct; it's basically having good manners. But there's obviously lots wrong with being overly politically correct. Being overly PC is just another form of extremism.

Going after Animal House is being overly PC. I'm guessing 99% of us (or more) agree about that.

If people just say "nah" to to the initial extremists and then exit the conversation right there, it won't gain traction and will fade away. What causes such nonsense to gain traction is when anti-PC extremists wade in and try to argue or demonize.

Then the non-issue blows up and becomes manna from heaven to the media who fan the flames and sell more ads.

Reactions: patk89
P
They had no problem with pretending to be the boyfriend of a dead person or abusing the horse? Just
i remember seeing an interview with the actor James Caan. He said that of all the scenes in The Godfather that he would get asked about the most was the horse’s head scene. He said people were concerned and were upset about the horse. He added that all the murders of human beings didn’t seem to be that important.

Great movie.

I find the best thing to do with folks who want to run around whining about older movies or whatever, want to cancel stuff, is say "okay" and then ignore them. Like I care what anybody else thinks about the movies I like.

There's nothing wrong with being politically correct; it's basically having good manners. But there's obviously lots wrong with being overly politically correct. Being overly PC is just another form of extremism.

Going after Animal House is being overly PC. I'm guessing 99% of us (or more) agree about that.

If people just say "nah" to to the initial extremists and then exit the conversation right there, it won't gain traction and will fade away. What causes such nonsense to gain traction is when anti-PC extremists wade in and try to argue or demonize.

Then the non-issue blows up and becomes manna from heaven to the media who fan the flames and sell more ads.
Hit the nail on the head. Most of the time you see this stuff, it's coming from someone ranting about "cancel culture" rather than anyone actually trying to get someone or something canceled. This thread is a perfect example--I've never heard of anyone taking issue with Animal House. But writing an article that says _______ couldn't be made today, or people want to "cancel" ________ generates clicks from people who are subconsciously obsessed with finding things to be outraged about.

Even more recent, Tropic Thunder could never get made now
In 2007 I was visiting Kauai. My cousins lived in Lihue (sp.) near the golf course. Across the road was a restaurant called the Plantation. It featured a cut out roof with a real tree growing thru the top, good food, great entertainment and a working planation.

Stephen Stills was playing the first night we arrived, and we decided to go- after standing in line forever and barely winning the lottery for the last seats. While there, Jack Black was among the notables ....and we traded small talk.

Jack was filming Tropic Thunder along with Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr and cast- near the Hilton or Ritz.

Movie was OK...but guessing having Downey wearing Blackface wouldn't work today!

MO

Reactions: WasatRutgers
Reactions: RUfinally2008
The fact that NJ is in that group of Woke / PC morons is embarrassing / disturbing.

Turn off the bubble (woke) machine...Turn it the F off!

MO

Don’t let the facts get in the way of your narrative. It was conservatives up in arms over Cedar Grove putting on a production that featured gay characters.

Reactions: thegock
The sad part is that Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Mel brooks all fought against censorship and tackled unpopular and contreversial topics. Today most likely all three would find themselves cancelled. People seem to forget the best way to fight totalitarian schemes, and silencing free speech regardless of what side of an issue you stand is totalitarian, is by poking fun at them through humor and satire. Today's cancel culture does not seem able to make that distinction.

The article I read with quotes from Anniston was the opposite. She was defending comedy. Kathleen Turner is the one who said she probably wouldn’t play the role of Chandlers gay dad.

You are right actually it wasnt her its more insufferable woke Gen Z trying to say its problematic and make it fact

Big deal it wasnt diverse. Not everything has to be. I never watched but it was popular. Living Single wasnt diverse and I actually watched that one

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT