ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Earthquake in Turkey

Horrible. They are going to need a lot of help to get through this. Hopefully some can still be rescued.

I've read there were 3 tremors..

7.8, 6.0 and 7.6

The damage is horrible. Lots of videos of buildings collapsing.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Ronnie_B
The only place on Earth where it appears to be safe is Memorial Stadium at Cal-Berkeley:Minutes before our game out there in 1999,the PA announcer informed the crowd:"In the event of an earthquake,please remain seated."
In the 1989 World Series quake,the field had been torn up,but the structure itself held up,with only a few cracks.
Those WPA guys did a fine job.

The only place on Earth where it appears to be safe is Memorial Stadium at Cal-Berkeley:Minutes before our game out there in 1999,the PA announcer informed the crowd:"In the event of an earthquake,please remain seated."
In the 1989 World Series quake,the field had been torn up,but the structure itself held up,with only a few cracks.
Did our original Stadium too.

And that was before the 200M seismic retrofit.

Did our original Stadium too.
I have a guide that outlines all the WPA projects in NJ. One of which is that weird sculpture in Edison's Roosevelt Park. There is definitely an entry on our stadium, but no reference to the pee troughs or the ivy stuck in your a$$ if you sat on one of the hills.

I was in Oakland during the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake. A 6.9 that lasted about 15 seconds. That was scary enough, but a 7.8 earthquake lasting 75 seconds? Yikes. Horrifying. There used to be a 1908 San Francisco Earthquake experience at Fisherman's Wharf where you stood on a podium that shook as long and hard as that earthquake (7.9 for 60 seconds) - and that was pretty crazy.

The really sad part of this is that people and engineers have a pretty good understanding how to design buildings to withstand major shocks. Unfortunately, the typical building in that part of the world - unreinforced masonry -is about the worst type of building to be in. However, this is a poor and corrupt part of the world, so building standards aren't up to snuff, so many people die. Heartbreaking.

Last edited:
I have a guide that outlines all the WPA projects in NJ. One of which is that weird sculpture in Edison's Roosevelt Park. There is definitely an entry on our stadium, but no reference to the pee troughs or the ivy stuck in your a$$ if you sat on one of the hills.
Any on line links on that?

Memorial Stadium famously is situated right on top of the Hayward Fault. The stadium has since been rehabbed and presumably safe - unless a major quake happens to occur right on that spot.

Here's an image of how much the ground moved during the 1908 San Francisco Earthquake. This is at Point Reyes.

SanAndreasFenceOffset1040410d.jpg

Any on line links on that?
Memorial Stadium famously is situated right on top of the Hayward Fault. The stadium has since been rehabbed and presumably safe - unless a major quake happens to occur right on that spot.

Here's an image of how much the ground moved during the 1908 San Francisco Earthquake. This is at Point Reyes.

SanAndreasFenceOffset1040410d.jpg
That’s incredible. We were sitting in our hotel in West Yellowstone 5 or 6 years ago and a 5.2 hit. It felt like the building moved about a foot. As a non-engineer it seemed amazing to me that the building withstood just that.

Folks, I cleaned up this thread and reopened it. I also banned a bunch of people from this thread. Not only those who took it political, but those who responded to them. If someone hijacks a thread politically, please, PLEASE, don't engage them because you just perpetuate the bullshit. Report them and, if necessary, reach out to Richie. We'll clean it up as soon as we can get to it. But if you engage them, the political bickering completely derails the thread.

This was a horrible tragedy, let's focus on those who are suffering from it.

I'll contribute to a fund for the Victims if it's started by RU Nation community. We are a compassionate and generous community. In the meantime I'll continue to pray for the people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT