ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belly: I don't care about your opinion on the tax credit.
Belly: Which auto maker would benefit most from tax credits?

Mixed signal much? One could be forgiven for thinking that you don't want to hear any opinions about stuff unless those opinions exactly comport with your opinions.

Since you want to discuss who benefits from what... It seems like you want to prioritize the financial propping up of a sole company, one that doesn't actually need any help at all w/revenue or profitability, over infrastructure spending that benefits pretty much every person in the country and is a critical need right now.

I'd accuse you of misplaced priorities here, but if you have Tesla stock, I suppose you're just looking out for number one. Can't fault you for that.

But the needs of the many still outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Oh good lord, give it a freaking break already.

So, why wasn't Tesla invited? They are the crown jewel of EV manufacturers.
I will say it a third time. In what way would it be newsworthy that an EV-only company is agreeing to work to sell 50% EVs?

Whereas it's definitely newsworthy if companies who predominately make ICE vehicles agree to work to sell 50% EVs.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Oh good lord, give it a freaking break already.
Give what a break? Logic? Facts?

I'm not surprised you no longer want to discuss why an infrastructure bill might not have EV tax breaks that benefit Tesla in it. Actually, I bet the bill does have plenty of spending on infrastructure that will benefit EV owners, though, even if not through tax breaks.

You know, like the bridges EV owners drive over. The roads EV owners drive on. Improvement to the power grid that powers the chargers used by EVs. Little stuff like that.

Oh gosh. What a horribly anti-EV position for me to take.

I'm not surprised you no longer want to discuss why an infrastructure bill might not have EV tax breaks that benefit Tesla in it. Actually, I bet the bill does have plenty of spending on infrastructure that will benefit EV owners, though, even if not through tax breaks.

You know, like the bridges EV owners drive over. The roads EV owners drive on. Improvement to the power grid that powers the chargers used by EVs. Little stuff like that.

I'm becoming convinced you would start a fight in an empty room.

Lol not one of them yet but hope to be one some day. I'll step out of thread I've disrupted enough. Good luck all with EV's
Don't let the fanboys push you out. We're all entitled to our opinions and on-topic contributions.

don't forget...these are roads and bridges that EV owners currently do not contribute any $$$ towards.

Reactions: czxqa
and if you were being honest...the zoomed out look has EV's at <3% of global car sales. its very easy to show exponential growth when you're a proverbial drop in a pond. if i sell 1 widget today, 2 widgets tomorrow, and 4 widgets the day after...i can say i have 100% growth day over day. but...if the total widget market is 300,000 widgets per day, did i make a dent?

signing the EO to get to 50% EV sales by 2030 is a great headline. however, the infrastructure deal is what SHOULD be the headline for the long-term viability and success of EV in the country.

and if you were being honest...the zoomed out look has EV's at <3% of global car sales. its very easy to show exponential growth when you're a proverbial drop in a pond. if i sell 1 widget today, 2 widgets tomorrow, and 4 widgets the day after...i can say i have 100% growth day over day. but...if the total widget market is 300,000 widgets per day, did i make a dent?

signing the EO to get to 50% EV sales by 2030 is a great headline. however, the infrastructure deal is what SHOULD be the headline for the long-term viability and success of EV in the country.
Think of an "S" curve. Flat, rapid, flat. You'll get it eventually

Belly: I don't care about your opinion on the tax credit.
Belly: Which auto maker would benefit most from tax credits?

Mixed signal much? One could be forgiven for thinking that you don't want to hear any opinions about stuff unless those opinions exactly comport with your opinions.

Since you want to discuss who benefits from what... It seems like you want to prioritize the financial propping up of a sole company, one that doesn't actually need any help at all w/revenue or profitability, over infrastructure spending that benefits pretty much every person in the country and is a critical need right now.

I'd accuse you of misplaced priorities here, but if you have Tesla stock, I suppose you're just looking out for number one. Can't fault you for that.

But the needs of the many still outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
I asked you which auto benefits most from the credit. You then went on your typical, off topic pontification about how you personally feel about it. Guess what? I agree with you about EV credits. Tesla doesn't need them. BUT, THAT'S NOT WHAT I ASKED.
Truly exhausting.

The point was, and still is, big auto is pulling the strings. If GM, Ford, and UAW pushed hard for a credit, you can bet you ass it would be on the table. They don't want it, and for good reason.
Your point was there are EV players just as influential as big auto and big oil. You continue to withhold who these players are.

Last edited:

Whether we are talking US or global sales, EVs have gone from about 0.0% a decade ago to 3% today. But the next decade (2030), the share will be 40% or 50%. You asked for exponential growth. I gave it to you. Nothing dishonest there at all. The growth is baked in. And sure, the infrastructure deal helps, but it's not critical. Tesla is still achieving strong sales growth even without the $7,500 federal rebate or millions of new EV chargers.

Whether we are talking US or global sales, EVs have gone from about 0.0% a decade ago to 3% today. But the next decade (2030), the share will be 40% or 50%. You asked for exponential growth. I gave it to you. Nothing dishonest there at all. The growth is baked in. And sure, the infrastructure deal helps, but it's not critical. Tesla is still achieving strong sales growth even without the $7,500 federal rebate or millions of new EV chargers.
The EV world does not revolve just around Tesla. A ton of new chargers are needed to support millions of new EV on the road, and not just passenger vehicles, but the trucking industry as well. Other auto makers are going to demand the same credit that was available to Tesla when they first started selling in order to stay price competitive with ICE vehicles while EV's scale. A family on a budget is going to pick the $26k Honda CRV over the $40k VW id4 strictly for budgetary reasons.

The EV world does not revolve just around Tesla. A ton of new chargers are needed to support millions of new EV on the road, and not just passenger vehicles, but the trucking industry as well. Other auto makers are going to demand the same credit that was available to Tesla when they first started selling in order to stay price competitive with ICE vehicles while EV's scale. A family on a budget is going to pick the $26k Honda CRV over the $40k VW id4 strictly for budgetary reasons.
The credit is still available for manufacturers that have sold less than 200K EVs.

A few points. First, most people charge at home overnight. Yes, chargers are also needed - there is a lot to do on that front. Think of charging an EV like putting on a new pot of coffee.

The second is that affordable models must become more prevalent. No question on that. They will come. I suspect in about 2 to 3 years. In the meantime, expect a shit-ton of Ford 150s and Rivians and (yes) Cybertrucks to be sold.

Misleading websites are fine - You just proved you are smitten with Mr. Musk. Maybe if you keep this up he will let you fly in one of his nice rockets. Wouldn't that be cool.
Nice try.
"Purchase price" and "potential savings" are right next to each other in the website. So devious!

Potential customers might be curious how much they're going to save not having to buy petrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT