ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "EMERGENCY ALERT: BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NO

Germans bomb Pearl Harbor!

GermansBombPearlHarbor_zpsdls5bpng.jpg

The whole thing is stupid anyway.

DPRK to Hawaii by ICBM is probably under 15 minutes.

NORAD would detect the launch and then would take maybe 5 minutes to confirm trajectory and possible target. Their first call is to the President.

Ain't nobody in Hawaii gettin' any kind of warning. It's just not happening.

It is a blue state, national defense is not a issue. Spent 2 years there in the 25th ID. They were more concerned about leaving the US. Every Sunday they would have demonstrating about getting out of being a state.

It is a blue state, national defense is not a issue. Spent 2 years there in the 25th ID. They were more concerned about leaving the US. Every Sunday they would have demonstrating about getting out of being a state.

Hawaii is only a state because in the pre-nuclear world it had some strategic value.

CVNs don't need it. SSBNs certainly don't need it. To be honest, I'd be perfectly okay with booting Hawaii and adding Puerto Rico just to keep the flag from getting f*cked up.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Hawaii is only a state because in the pre-nuclear world it had some strategic value.

CVNs don't need it. SSBNs certainly don't need it. To be honest, I'd be perfectly okay with booting Hawaii and adding Puerto Rico just to keep the flag from getting f*cked up.
Ug, PR is a worse disaster than Hawaii (and not because of the hurricane). Perhaps we can kick Hawaii out and group DC, Northern VA, and the surrounding part of MD into a new state? Isolate the establishment wackos.

Amazing part of the story for me is that the decision to issue the alert came from one individual in the organization. No one else needed to approve it before the alert was issued.

Of course there is not much time involved to make a decision but a single point of failure seems incredibly risky.

Amazing part of the story for me is that the decision to issue the alert came from one individual in the organization. No one else needed to approve it before the alert was issued.

Of course there is not much time involved to make a decision but a single point of failure seems incredibly risky.

There's got to be more to the process. Saying that one person has approval authority doesn't tell the whole story, since that one person has no firsthand knowledge of whether there's a missile inbound.

There's a whole bunch of people between NORAD and the guy who pushes a button on an alert system.

OTOH, given these are civil servants, having dependencies drastically increases the chances of not getting an alert out.

Of course, giving an alert for a NK missile is probably futile as noted above: if on target, the alert is too little too late; if not, it'll blow up a stretch of ocean 1200 miles away. If it blows up at all.

Apparently they were doing an in house alert systems test and the dude hit the wrong button. For Pete's sake at least put a piece of tape over the button. Seems anyone could have pushed it by mistake at any time.

If any state is going to secede, let it be Texas. They’ve been petitioning to leave the U.S. for years. In one 2010 poll, 48% of Texas republicans supported leaving the union. Let them go.

(My apologies to sane Texas Rutgers fans)

Apparently they were doing an in house alert systems test and the dude hit the wrong button. For Pete's sake at least put a piece of tape over the button. Seems anyone could have pushed it by mistake at any time.

I'm sure it's not an actual button. It's a mouse click.

I still maintain that the whole thing is silly.

In the run book that NORAD has for this stuff, there's no step that says "call the guy at the target OEM office so he can send an alert".

The command level is too busy trying to decide whether they're gonna send a coded message to the SSBNs.

This is funny. There has been a piece of black electrical tape over the switch at the top of my basement stairs that cuts the gas. Been there since I bought the house in 2011. Never hit it once.

Reactions: koleszar
It just occurred to me.. if Trump was trigger happy and looking for any reason to launch a war.. wouldn't he have seized on this to do something rash in North Korea?

Of course, that would make the birthers correct either way. I suspect that with all the infrastructure already in Hawaii.. they might make out pretty well. They would basically get to say.. all those federal taxes businesses and individuals pay now stay here. Charge the US rent on all those military bases.. or maybe the US would keep Pearl like they do Guantanamo. Heck.. ISIS fighters might end up in prison in Hawaii.

It just occurred to me.. if Trump was trigger happy and looking for any reason to launch a war.. wouldn't he have seized on this to do something rash in North Korea?

No, because there was no actual missile warning. No launch detection, no anomaly detection, nothing. Ergo, no opportunity to create a so-called "response".

Of course, that would make the birthers correct either way. I suspect that with all the infrastructure already in Hawaii.. they might make out pretty well. They would basically get to say.. all those federal taxes businesses and individuals pay now stay here. Charge the US rent on all those military bases.. or maybe the US would keep Pearl like they do Guantanamo. Heck.. ISIS fighters might end up in prison in Hawaii.

Yeah, that's a lot of what I was thinking when I wrote that. Hawaii, of all the 50 states, is probably the best suited for independence. If I was running the joint, I'd take a hard look at it. The only thing I'd do differently with respect to what you said is sign a protection agreement with the U.S. in lieu of rent on the military facilities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT