ADVERTISEMENT

OT: FGCU hires Pat Chambers (ex-PSU, Villanova)

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
The local program down here, Florida Gulf Coast University, hires ex-PSU head coach & ex-Villanova assistant Pat Chambers.
Second chance hire.
In a heartbeat, FGCU’s roster will be filled with Philadelphia and south Jersey athletes. There are worse outposts than the Naples/Fort Myers FL area.

Last edited:
Selfishly, I’d love to see Rutgers schedule FGCU and play a game down here. Rutgers baseball has, in the past. FGCU has an on-campus arena. Sits maybe 4000. A wonderful place to watch a game. A stone’s throw away is a larger arena (Hertz Arena) where FGCU occasionally plays games.

I hated that he was at PSU because he seemed like a genuine good dude.
Read his Wikipedia page, which linked to a Bleacher Report article about his stepping down, an d his tenure (from W-L) being unremarkable. He did not have a breakthrough until year 6, when he finally went 9-9 in conference, then regressed in year 7, and then went 11-9 in conference. Why did they hold onto him so long.

Regarding @Mr_Twister 's comment about filling FGCU with South Jersey and Philly athletes, I was surprised that so few students from NJ and PA go to school there. I know a kid who is a junior/senior there, and likes it there. Like he said, not a bad place to be.

chart-geographic-breakdown_lg.jpeg

Florida
llinois64
New Jersey43
Pennsylvania34
New York31

Yup, always liked him, seemed like a good dude and a good coach, I wish him luck.

For at least a few years, FGCU offered free tuition to its undergraduate engineering programs in an attempt to attract the best possible candidates (I think that was the reasoning -- not sure).

Read his Wikipedia page, which linked to a Bleacher Report article about his stepping down, an d his tenure (from W-L) being unremarkable. He did not have a breakthrough until year 6, when he finally went 9-9 in conference, then regressed in year 7, and then went 11-9 in conference. Why did they hold onto him so long.

I’m sure a PSU fan can chime in and shed light.

If I had to guess, I’d say maybe PSU was looking to focus on the culture of the program first. They have football to keep people happy.

Pat is a very high strung guy (as are a lot of coaches) that burned a lot of bridges. He handled the Bolton situation terribly, he put his hands on Dread during a game, he didn't always treat the people behind the scenes well, and in the end, he just pissed off too many people. Everyone is very tight lipped on exactly what the final straw ended up being, but the Bolton incident gave the Administration a reason to look at everything more closely. Had he won more, there might have been more tolerance for some of the issues.

I like Pat, think he's a decent coach and a good person, and wish him well. But in the end, I think PSU hoops ended up in a better place with Shrewsberry.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Chambers is doing an admirable job attracting Philly area talent to southwest Florida. Landing players from Purdue and Memphis and St. Joseph’s. Surprising to me. I can’t help but think the players from Purdue and Memphis would be useful pieces here.

According to a source, a booster fired Michael Fly, despite a 20-win season, and hired Pat Chambers.

Athletic Director had little say in the matter.

People in SWFL really appreciate basketball. I hope it works out for Coach Chambers.

Good for Pat. Always liked him and he loved Pikiell very early on.

There are a lot of reasons to take jobs, including lifestyle and the fact that it may be your only shot back in the game. Chambers was making about $900k per year at PSU. FGCU got him for $350k per year. That’s a steep drop off.

Reactions: MADHAT1
There are a lot of reasons to take jobs, including lifestyle and the fact that it may be your only shot back in the game. Chambers was making about $900k per year at PSU. FGCU got him for $350k per year. That’s a steep drop off.
No state income tax and 100% less snow than PSU gets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT