ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Flag Day, June 14th

Mine is up for the neighborhood to see .
I'm proud to fly "Old Glory" in the front of my house
>The American flag has been several nicknames throughout its centuries-old history, one of the most popular being “Old Glory.” From the East Coast to the West Coast, you’ll often hear people referring to the American flag as “Old Glory.” It’s a common nickname that’s almost as old as the American flag itself. While most Americans are familiar with this nickname, though, they don’t know its true origins. To learn more about the story behind “Old Glory,” keep reading.<

https://starspangledflags.com/the-s...how-the-american-flag-received-this-nickname/

Reactions: RUPsyched
Late afternoon:

m594WoW.jpg

Reactions: RUPsyched
Mines up every day.

Where I live you usually get the real deal flagpole on your 50th (if it wasn’t on your property already) birthday.

I am 56 and was gifted it on my 50th but a tree was in the way. It finally passed away and I found a good spot for the flagpole…lights, yardarm, landscaped.

Mines up every day.

Where I live you usually get the real deal flagpole on your 50th (if it wasn’t on your property already) birthday.

I am 56 and was gifted it on my 50th but a tree was in the way. It finally passed away and I found a good spot for the flagpole…lights, yardarm, landscaped.
I was going to say that the flag is normally up in my town too. Now it may be accompanied by a branch of service flag or a flag of another nationality, but that’s pretty cool too.

Mines up every day.

Same here. Just got a new one today and it’s flying proudly. Took the old one to the VFW for disposal.

Reactions: MADHAT1
How many times has the United States flag been revised in its history?

What is considered the official flag of the United States?

Very good question. Definitely when you added states. A guy at the end of my block had a cool one that he would fly each year before the 4th of July parade. Think it was before Hawaii and Alaska were added, maybe more. He was proud of it!

There have been 26 different, but official, United States flags in its history.

The second question is a trick question. Any U.S. flag, from the Betsy Ross flag to the current one with 50 stars is still considered an official U.S. flag with all rules and respect due to it.

The second question is a trick question. Any U.S. flag, from the Betsy Ross flag to the current one with 50 stars is still considered an official U.S. flag with all rules and respect due to it.
The Betsy Ross flag was never an official flag. She did not design the flag. The first flag was designed by N.J. continental congress member and Declaration of Independence signer, Francis Hopkinson. There are 4 places that I am aware of that display the Hopkinson flag here in NJ. Middlebrook campground in Bound Brook, site of Washingtons 1777 summer encampment and 1778-1779 winter encampment. It is at the first encampment that the Hopkinson flag flew over the continental troops for the first time after being adopted by congress as the official flag. The second is the Jacobus Vanderveer house which was the HQ for Gen. Henry Knox during the second Middlebrook encampment. The third being at the Somerset Patriot stadium. They have a plaque at the main entrance to the stadium telling the true story of the first flag. Also, at the entrance is paving bricks with the Hopkinson flag in them. Years ago, one of their mascots "Gen. Admission" used to carry this flag out onto the field. Haven't seen this mascot in years. The fourth, my garage. There are also stories about the Battle of The Short Hills, fought on June 26th, 1777, in and around Scotch Plains as being the battle where the new flag was first carried into combat by American troops. Francis Hopkinson was the only one who ever sought payment for designing the flag. All he wanted was a quarter cask of public wine. He never got it because of politics.

The Betsy Ross flag was never an official flag. She did not design the flag. The first flag was designed by N.J. continental congress member and Declaration of Independence signer, Francis Hopkinson. There are 4 places that I am aware of that display the Hopkinson flag here in NJ. Middlebrook campground in Bound Brook, site of Washingtons 1777 summer encampment and 1778-1779 winter encampment. It is at the first encampment that the Hopkinson flag flew over the continental troops for the first time after being adopted by congress as the official flag. The second is the Jacobus Vanderveer house which was the HQ for Gen. Henry Knox during the second Middlebrook encampment. The third being at the Somerset Patriot stadium. They have a plaque at the main entrance to the stadium telling the true story of the first flag. Also, at the entrance is paving bricks with the Hopkinson flag in them. Years ago, one of their mascots "Gen. Admission" used to carry this flag out onto the field. Haven't seen this mascot in years. The fourth, my garage. There are also stories about the Battle of The Short Hills, fought on June 26th, 1777, in and around Scotch Plains as being the battle where the new flag was first carried into combat by American troops. Francis Hopkinson was the only one who ever sought payment for designing the flag. All he wanted was a quarter cask of public wine. He never got it because of politics.
showdown-kenny.gif

• Haha
Reactions: RW90 and goru1869
Flag Day, my birthday. My parents used to tell me all the flags displayed on the 14th were to commemorate my birthday.

Reactions: goru1869
Flag Day, my birthday. My parents used to tell me all the flags displayed on the 14th were to commemorate my birthday.
We told my eldest daughter the same thing. :)

I put our flag up right after the rain storms ended here in WNC and took it down at sunset. I wonder how many people know how to properly display the flag. I see folks leaving their flags up 24/7 regardless of whether they are lit or not. I sense that many don't realize that they are dishonoring the flag when they keep it up unlit at night, or use it to represent a certain political philosophy.

13 stars, 13 stripes.. Hopkinson Flag 1777
71a5QLag5YL._AC_SL1469_.jpg

Did Betsy Ross slack off with a change to a five-pointed star? The circle was more work.

My flag flies 365. There's a bunting over my front door porch Mem. Day to LD.
On Holidays I put up a 7 by 10 across the upper garage barn area.
And if it's something really special I'll pull out one of my old big 48 State babies that measure like 12 by 18 ..maybe even bigger. (Grandma's estate)

Reactions: goru1869
Now that's cool.
Thanks Spank. Have to be real careful with them. One of them is made out of a very thin material that is like a very thin webbing (like cheesecloth). When I found it , it already had a bunch of places where it had been stitched back together like some battlefield surgery had been done on it. Really adds to the character though.
All told I think I have like 12-15 different flags including those presented at funerals for family service members and a couple I had flown over the US Capitol in honor of other family members.
I forgot to mention I also have one flying in the backyard in the vegetable garden (along with my Rutgers Block R flag and Gadsden Flag on shorter ones) up on a 20foot bamboo pole (self harvested). Folks say it looks like a scene from Vietnam war . Reminds me of tailgating scene.

We told my eldest daughter the same thing. :)

I put our flag up right after the rain storms ended here in WNC and took it down at sunset. I wonder how many people know how to properly display the flag. I see folks leaving their flags up 24/7 regardless of whether they are lit or not. I sense that many don't realize that they are dishonoring the flag when they keep it up unlit at night, or use it to represent a certain political philosophy.
Funny.

Flag day became a holiday in the 1940's but had been a celebration since 1916.

My father was born on June 14. My grandmother was told the flags were being flown because she had finally given birth to a boy after having 6 girls.

Reactions: NBHPRU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT