ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Spring Training baseball

jaydogsmooth1

Senior
Jul 28, 2021
Heading down this week for a full tilt of games with my Pops. At 73 he's still going strong, but the older they get, the less time you have with them.

Monday - Rays in Port Charlotte
Tuesday - Red Sox in Fort Myers
Wednesday - Twins in Fort Myers

Any must see's at the stadiums here? I know tailgating isn't widespread except for Brewers fans, but we'll definitely be doing a toned-down version of that.
Looks like Fenway South has a pretty cool pre-game scene, and the mini monster in left field looks cool

Any recommendations? TIA

Try Bradenton.
Still a little ride.
Joe Torre would drive his own car and follow the team bus to road games.
My dad and Gator would ride with Joe and of course my dad as an older man would require a pee stop.
Keep in mind they were in full uniform.
So Joe would pull over to 7-11 or McDonalds whatever they could find, and #8 in full uniform would go in and use the facilities.
After relieving himself, he was often followed by interested patrons in the store
thinking to themselves it can’t be……

My dad was a Diehard and used to catch a few Red Sox games when they were snowbirding down in Florida.

Reactions: Purple-Ed
Try Bradenton.
Still a little ride.
My dad and Gator would ride with Joe and of course my dad as an older man would require a pee stop.
So Joe would pull over to 7-11 or McDonalds whatever they could find, and #8 in full uniform would go in and use the facilities.
After relieving himself, he was often followed by interested patrons in the store

Try Bradenton.
Still a little ride.
That’s a little far this time, we plan on doing a Sunday annual basis, so I’ll probably hit that one up next year

My dad was a Diehard and used to catch a few Red Sox games when they were snowbirding down in Florida.
That’s the move Spank, really questioning why the hell I still live in New Jersey

If the teachers union eliminated the pension and lifetime benefits, I would literally leave tomorrow

Try Bradenton.
Still a little ride.
Great story. Thanks!

Reactions: Purple-Ed
Got off the plane on Monday and headed to Port Charlotte to check out the Rays
Very basic ballpark, no frills

Food was cheap but beers $11
What surprised me most was $15 parking

Tailgating was non-existent besides us, but there's plenty of room to consume a few beers if you wish

Did Jet Blue yesterday for the Sox game
Night and day difference between that and Rays

Much better setup, and a lot more going on
Did the pre game tour, got to go on the field pregame and learned a lot

They're smart though and make you purchase your game ticket ahead of time and scan it to enter the tour

I couldn't figure out why they'd be doing that as the tour was at 10, ended at 11:15 and game wasn't until 1:05

It then dawned on me they wanted to keep you in the stadium to purchase food/drinks/merch, and if they have you in the stadium 2 hours before the game, you have no choice

We wanted to tailgate so we left after the tour and purchased 2 more GA tix, got a solid 2 hours in and met some people who we joined as well

Heading over to Hammond today to check out the Twins - should be a good time as the weather is nice and they have a good set up there

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT