ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Former RU Athlete made $100M last year on Wall Street

Nov 16, 2016
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-one-goldman-sachs-trader-made-more-than-100-million-1476869402

Tom Malafronte played baseball at RU (mentioned in article above) and is a highly skilled risk trader who made $100M on junk bonds last year for Goldman. Title is slightly misleading as the $100M is for the firm, but I imagine he made a solid personal killing off those gains.

I hope Hobbs is finding a way to access these types of guys for RU build. There are a lot more of them than many think.

Happy to hear it, though from what I can read before the paywall cutoff, his outlay was "billions". I'm glad the trade was successful, but the gain appears to be less than 10%.

I concede that's true for bonds. I'm in a different sphere with different liquidity & return goals.

Kudos to him & I hope the B1G Build Fund sees some of that action.
I was in finance for many years trading multiple asset classes. If you can historically return 10% you will have a long career.

"Someone vaguely linked to us made a lot of money; how can we benefit from that?"

Classic Jersey.

Reactions: SC1221
Isn't that how most schools raise money? From former alums with lots of money? And this one especially being a former RU athlete, I don't think its that vague of a link.

Not for the folks raising money, no. For fans reading a WSJ article about a successful trader and immediately jumping to, "how much is he donating?!" - a lil.

Isn't that how most schools raise money? From former alums with lots of money? And this one especially being a former RU athlete, I don't think its that vague of a link.

Not for the folks raising money, no. For fans reading a WSJ article about a successful trader and immediately jumping to, "how much is he donating?!" - a lil.
You're reaching. All I said was I hope Hobbs is accessing these types of people.

You're reaching. All I said was I hope Hobbs is accessing these types of people.

Not very far.

It was just a judgement-free observation, anyway, not a criticism of the thread. An interesting story, whatever your takeaway.
Pretty far, actually. The way I worded it didn't imply that he should be donating at all. Just that Hobbs should be reaching out to people like him. Also calling it "classic jersey" isn't being judgement-free.

Well how much is he donating? If he's a former athlete who's doing quite well for himself and has any pride in the degree he got, then yea he should be donating back. My wife didn't receive a dime from RU, however she's very proud of her degree which has earned us a comfortable lifestyle and we donate. All former athletes doing quite well should donate back. That is if they have any pride in where they got their degree's. If they don't then they probably could careless about the place.

Pretty far, actually. The way I worded it didn't imply that he should be donating at all. Just that Hobbs should be reaching out to people like him. Also calling it "classic jersey" isn't being judgement-free.

I musta accidentally quoted you in my post. Oops ... just checked ..no I didn't.

It is judgement-free because it could be a good thing or bad thing and I made no indication of which. You naturally read into it on your own - kinda the idea.

Watch and learn, young buck:

Classic Jersey. :rolleyes: [poop] [poop]

Classic Jersey. :fistbump::smiley:[thumb2]

I know him....old neighbor, nice kid. Played QB for Somerville HS football and had a few offers to play college ball. Good family too....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT