ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fran Brown is a bad coach

Ash_Hole

Junior
Sep 8, 2019
Fran might be able to recruit, but RU fans forget just how bad he was as a coach here

In his 2 seasons at RU, our passing defense was one of the worst in the nation

Opponent Passing Yards Per Play
2020: 94th worst team
2021: 118th!

Opponent Average QBR:
2020: 106th
2021: 102th

When Schiano sought a new Defensive Coordinator, he passed on Fran Brown (much to the chagrin of some fans here) and picked Joe Harasymiak. The results now speak for themselves:

2023: 13th best team

Opponent Average QBR:
2023: 22nd

I think Schiano knew Fran Brown sucked as a coach — so much so that he’d risk losing him as a recruiter.

Our secondary which has always been a strength in Schiano teams was absolutely dreadful during Fran Bran’s 2 years overseeing the unit

And keep in mind that Fran Brown has never been a solo coordinator or HC on any level

Fran may be able to sweet talk some NJ kids to freeze in the tundra — but they’ll come to regret the player development they could have received at Rutgers.

Yeah but when you are bringing in Top 25 classes that will result in better performances automatically
And Fran only needs is a strong staff to manage the talent.

Yeah but when you are bringing in Top 25 classes that will result in better performances automatically
Texas A&M had #1 recruiting class in 2022 and #8 in 2023. This year, they barely went 7-5 and their head coach was fired

Miami Hurricanes were #11 (2021) and #16 (2022) and playing us in Pinstripe…

Nebraska had top 20 classes every year under Scott Frost and yet, he went a combined 16-31, despite the benefit of a weak division

Recruiting helps, for sure, but coaching and player development needs to be there too

Fran might be able to recruit, but RU fans forget just how bad he was as a coach here

Opponent Average QBR:

When Schiano sought a new Defensive Coordinator, he passed on Fran Brown (much to the chagrin of some fans here) and picked Joe Harasymiak. The results now speak for themselves:

Opponent Average QBR:

I think Schiano knew Fran Brown sucked as a coach — so much so that he’d risk losing him as a recruiter.

Our secondary which has always been a strength in Schiano teams was absolutely dreadful during Fran Bran’s 2 years overseeing the unit

And keep in mind that Fran Brown has never been a solo coordinator or HC on any level

Fran may be able to sweet talk some NJ kids to freeze in the tundra — but they’ll come to regret the player development they could have received at Rutgers.
I wouldn't use the 2020 and 21 teams as a barometer for somebodies coaching ability.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I wouldn't use the 2020 and 21 teams as a barometer for somebodies coaching ability.
Our passing defense was especially bad, where other parts of our team were improving in 2020 and 2021.

But the main barometer for me is that Schiano passed on him. Schiano’s coaching tree has already proven itself time and time again — he knows how to pick & develop good coaches. And yet, when pressed with a decision to elevate Fran — knowing he’d lose maybe best recruiter he could ever get — he still said no, and elevated a guy he had not worked with before. That’s damning to Fran, and why he likely left

The stats are important in that they showed a total 180. From 118th to 13th is truly incredible — and either this is one of the best passing defense turnarounds in FB history or Fran Brown may not have been a very good coach…

He isn’t a position coach any longer. If he hires a good staff with good coordinators and recruits very well, he will not be a “bad” coach. Recruiting is a big part of having success in college football.

Reactions: ClkwrkOrange

Opponent Average QBR:

Opponent Average QBR:

So you only use his time at Rutgers to determine how good of coach he is? Nothing from Baylor Temple or Georgia?

Fran never wanted to take the traditional route to become a head coach. You don’t become a Jimmy Sexton client if you are not elite.

But the main barometer for me is that Schiano passed on him. Schiano’s coaching tree has already proven itself time and time again — he knows how to pick & develop good coaches. And yet, when pressed with a decision to elevate Fran — knowing he’d lose maybe best recruiter he could ever get — he still said no, and elevated a guy he had not worked with before. That’s damning to Fran, and why he likely left
I'll take Joe Harasymiak over him any day...look at what he's turned out

Reactions: SBP

Opponent Average QBR:

Opponent Average QBR:

So true

Our passing defense was especially bad, where other parts of our team were improving in 2020 and 2021.

The stats are important in that they showed a total 180. From 118th to 13th is truly incredible — and either this is one of the best passing defense turnarounds in FB history or Fran Brown may not have been a very good coach…
Citing Schiano's passing on him is a good argument and I think that might be all you need.

Looking at the stats without looking at the players and teams especially for the 2020 and 21 seasons is not a great argument, as one can easily counter with look what he did at Georgia and helping win a NC. Basically talent has something to do with the stats and in 20 and 21 we were depleted.

I find it hard to believe Kirby Smart with all his resources and knowledge would hire somebody who couldn't coach.

I find it hard to believe Kirby Smart with all his resources and knowledge would hire somebody who couldn't coach.
Kirby Smart was a DB coach. He needed Fran to recruit. He was DB coach in name only. He sucked as a coach here.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Texas A&M had #1 recruiting class in 2022 and #8 in 2023. This year, they barely went 7-5 and their head coach was fired

Miami Hurricanes were #11 (2021) and #16 (2022) and playing us in Pinstripe…

Nebraska had top 20 classes every year under Scott Frost and yet, he went a combined 16-31, despite the benefit of a weak division

Recruiting helps, for sure, but coaching and player development needs to be there too
Point taken.
Those examples are the exception and not the rule.
Recruiting rankings have everything to do with a team’s success on the field in most cases.
It’s wishful thinking that Syracuse’s dynamic turnaround in Recruiting is not going to result in more wins on the field for them. We will see what happens in the Fall.

Coach Prime says hello … he’s gonna have problems next year. Bet on it.

Point taken.
Those examples are the exception and not the rule.
Recruiting rankings have everything to do with a team’s success on the field in most cases.
It’s wishful thinking that Syracuse’s dynamic turnaround in Recruiting is not going to result in more wins on the field for them. We will see what happens in the Fall.
The four recruits are not portal transfers but are freshmen recruits that won’t hit the field next season. His recruits will play in 2-3 years.

Paying for a high quality portal QB will help but it’s less his recruiting but more due to the NIL money.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRU2RU

Opponent Average QBR:

Opponent Average QBR:

The Jimmy’s and the Joe’s are way more important than the X’s and O’s. I’ll take a great recruiter who can’t coach any day.

Reactions: Barry Zito
The Jimmy’s and the Joe’s are way more important than the X’s and O’s. I’ll take a great recruiter who can’t coach any day.
Truth is you need both in today’s landscape
Alabama could easy lose 3-4 games with the talent they have and an average to bad coach.
Fran Brown will have no where near that level of talent. His lack of coaching acumen, will result in a disastrous fail for the Desperate Orange, it is already over.
I will take the under on total wins in Vegas this year and every year moving forward that he survives till the Orange have to eat his contract in demoralizing fashion.

• Haha
We have no idea how he will be as a HC
One thing I will say coaches & players tend to thrive away from RU , I don’t know if it’s getting out from under GS’s thumb or they apply there knowledge obtained from being taught bye GS & we’re a better fit in a different system that allows you to spread your wings as they say. Either was I am expecting nothing less from Fran Brown as he pursues his dreams as a head coach & best recruiter in the nation, the guy definitely is climbing the ladder in a big way.

One thing I will say coaches & players tend to thrive away from RU , I don’t know if it’s getting out from under GS’s thumb or they apply there knowledge obtained from being taught bye GS & we’re a better fit in a different system that allows you to spread your wings as they say. Either was I am expecting nothing less from Fran Brown as he pursues his dreams as a head coach & best recruiter in the nation, the guy definitely is climbing the ladder in a big way.
Please list the players and where they “thrived.” Thx.

(If they “dropped down” don’t bother….)

Reactions: TRU2RU and kbllmy21

Opponent Average QBR:

Opponent Average QBR:

Wow gas t coached a game and you already know what type of coach he willl be.

Never called a play. DC never has called a play. OC??

They’re gonna struggle. Army and UConn can beat them.
Replying to myself, lol, sorry1

Unfortunately - as I had originally thought Ohio could knock 'Cuse off in the opener next season - I don't think it's going to happen as 7 Bobcats on O are in the portal including QB1 who is a stud (QB2 leaving as well). Dammit!!!

Replying to myself, lol, sorry1

Unfortunately - as I had originally thought Ohio could knock 'Cuse off in the opener next season - I don't think it's going to happen as 7 Bobcats on O are in the portal including QB1 who is a stud (QB2 leaving as well). Dammit!!!
On any given Saturday anyone can knock a team off

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Head coach is more a CEO
It's his first head coaching gig, so it'll be interesting to see how he does
That's not an easy job up there

Reactions: Scarlet83
Where is he going to get a strong staff. Schiano had to hire his high school and college coaches for awhile.

Reactions: Scarlet83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT