ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fraudulent or Scam Web Pages

fg7321

All Conference
Nov 29, 2009
So i have seen an Ad on my Facebook feed for a fraudulent webpage . The page is for a fake LL Bean clearance website with everything 80% off. I reported the site to facebook and today the page is back in my newsfeed even after I marked it as spam yesterday. I alerted LL Bean and they are aware of the scam pages but cant keep up with it.

The page is hosted by a US Company: Cloudfare located in San Francisco

Why is this allowed to go on? I would think Facebook could shut this down pretty easily. They are selling ads to these scammers.

So i have seen an Ad on my Facebook feed for a fraudulent webpage . The page is for a fake LL Bean clearance website with everything 80% off. I reported the site to facebook and today the page is back in my newsfeed even after I marked it as spam yesterday. I alerted LL Bean and they are aware of the scam pages but cant keep up with it.

The page is hosted by a US Company: Cloudfare located in San Francisco

Why is this allowed to go on? I would think Facebook could shut this down pretty easily. They are selling ads to these scammers.
You expect Facebook to keep up with it when LL Bean can’t keep up with it. It’s the weekend, maybe FB only has 150,000 employees working on the weekend instead of their full staff, it might take more than 1 day to address your issue. Probably a couple a million fraudulent pages a day are generated. In broadcasting, I don’t think the broadcasters are responsible for every fraudulent ad. I was in the broadcasting industry for over 20 years.

I think Amazon should be able to have ALL merchandise delivered overnight for free, no exception.

The amount of fake profiles and pages is really stunning. Facebook and every other platform could handle it if they wanted to but they don't because they just want the money.

If it's an ad you're actually interested in, double check the site through Google and reviews before you buy. Facebook has recommended to me some legitimate products before. But its algorithms are also bizarre and I get ads and suggestions that contradict one another constantly.

Reactions: redking
They could easily shut this stuff down with AI logic and other tools at their disposal. Someone is going to get their ID stolen and sue facebook over this.

• Haha
Reactions: rurichdog
You expect Facebook to keep up with it when LL Bean can’t keep up with it. It’s the weekend, maybe FB only has 150,000 employees working on the weekend instead of their full staff, it might take more than 1 day to address your issue. Probably a couple a million fraudulent pages a day are generated. In broadcasting, I don’t think the broadcasters are responsible for every fraudulent ad. I was in the broadcasting industry for over 20 years.

I think Amazon should be able to have ALL merchandise delivered overnight for free, no exception.
i reported it yesterday and blocked the ad yesterday. its on my Newsfeed again today.

I doubt they are selling the ad space directly to the scammers. More likely they are selling ad space to some kind of aggregator or ad management third party, and the scam ads are making it through the third party's software. Checks are still being cashed and nobody is personally on the hook for it, so it may take a while for it to work its way out.

Reactions: redking
Years ago my Mom almost got faked out by a fraudulent Wells Fargo email while at their Naples house.

Luckily I was visiting and the local Wells Fargo was right down the road so I took her there for a good teaching moment. The staff was great in showing the both of us the real and fake ones and how she should be able to tell the difference between the two.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
There's been similar issues on Facebook since Thanksgiving with fake Arcade1up (these are smaller versions of arcade cabinets) scam sites. Same 80% off; same designed to look just like the real Arcade1up website. People have been reporting them for two months and they just never seem to go away.

Simply put, they do not care. Too much money to be made.

Amazon is LOADED with counterfeit products and most regular shoppers there know it .
Since a lot of the garbage comes from tech's fav country (not US) they let a lot of things slide.

"Amazon Has Ceded Control of Its Site. The Result: Thousands of Banned, Unsafe or Mislabeled Products

Just like tech companies that have struggled to tackle misinformation on their platforms, Amazon has proven unable or unwilling to effectively police third-party sellers on its site"

‘The volume of the problem is astonishing’: Amazon’s battle against fakes may be too little, too late

Amazon crossed a Rubicon when they went to a blind fulfillment model. It's still a valuable asset, but it's not quite as credible as it once was.

It'a a huge issue with bourbon sites. Luckily NJ doesn't allow delivery from out of state, but so many folks looking for rare stuff get sucked in.

It'a a huge issue with bourbon sites. Luckily NJ doesn't allow delivery from out of state, but so many folks looking for rare stuff get sucked in.
Wine too. I saw an ad today on FB for a supposed $25 bottle of Cakebread cab....which depending on vintage, is anywhere from $80-$125.

Why someone would pay any attention to anything to see or read on Facebook is beyond me. Scam ads and tons of misinformation of all kinds?

I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!!!

I’m sure 75-85% of what on social media is accurate. Just look at this board where 50-60% of the information is accurate. I don’t use any other social media sites other than this one. They don’t want to believe the old print, TV and broadcasting media so they search for information that align with their ideas.

Years ago my Mom almost got faked out by a fraudulent Wells Fargo email while at their Naples house.

Luckily I was visiting and the local Wells Fargo was right down the road so I took her there for a good teaching moment. The staff was great in showing the both of us the real and fake ones and how she should be able to tell the difference between the two.

They are fishing for the elderly. It's astounding. There's a scam where they call and tell them their grandkids are in jail. There was one a few years ago with recordings in Chinese that if you didn't come to embassy you'd be removed from the US targeting elderly immigrants as well.

Any time I get a hold of these people I waste their time. They get pretty furious, and hopefully it saves one more grandma her savings.

They are fishing for the elderly. It's astounding. There's a scam where they call and tell them their grandkids are in jail. There was one a few years ago with recordings in Chinese that if you didn't come to embassy, you'd be removed from the US targeting elderly immigrants as well.

Any time I get a hold of these people I waste their time. They get pretty furious, and hopefully it saves one more grandma her savings.
They tried that one with my Mom too.

While they were on the phone with here someone else called saying they were from Social Security saying they needed her number for something. Tried to confuse her but she didn't bite.

You mean I can't really get Ray Bans for $25? Or brand new Taylor Made irons for $150?

Damn...

FB really brings out the stupid in people. Those that answer those stupid polls and games don't realize they are giving away their information, security questions etc. "Honor a dead pet by leaving their name".. "The average marriage lasts 7 years. How long have you been married?" "Click your birth month to show what your spiritual animal is". On an on...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT