ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gang rape survivor confronts Nebraska FB coach Mike Riley

Upstream

Hall of Famer
Jul 31, 2001
without a paddle
Hard to have anything but mixed feelings about that one. A one-game suspension for "really good guys who made a bad choice" sums up everything wrong with college sports. And "maybe I should have done more" doesn't exactly help. Ya think?

But hard not to respect him owning up and inviting her to speak.

I give Riley credit for bringing the visibility to the issue and standing there exposed,guilty and accountable to the extent that he is today. Unusual in this world I'll say.

I give Riley credit for bringing the visibility to the issue and standing there exposed,guilty and accountable to the extent that he is today. Unusual in this world I'll say.

Yeah right. Riley was never giving this a second thought until he was confronted by the Rape victim.

Reactions: ruready07
If it weren't for PSU and Baylor would Riley give her the time of day? Now, unfortunately it seems more like a PR move to reach out or help victims of abuse in college football. Glad he had a coversation, but this happened 18 years ago. Just seems like if it weren't for other cases this would have never happened.

A somewhat compelling story

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tball-coach-18-years-after-alleged-gang-rape/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...raska-coach-mike-riley-oregon-state/86270018/

Riley's comment, "Maybe I should have done more," sounds eerily like another football coach that I have no respect for. However, I give Riley kudos for living up to his mistake in judgment and giving Tracy an open forum in front of his current team.

"Maybe I should have done more" are weasel words and probably would have been finished with "to keep the story out of the press" if he were being honest

He should have done more, period. Anything less than that statement is a failure to acknowledge his role in this mess

"Maybe I should have done more" are weasel words and probably would have been finished with "to keep the story out of the press" if he were being honest

He should have done more, period. Anything less than that statement is a failure to acknowledge his role in this mess
Neither one of us were in the room to hear the conversation between the two of them. From the article, it sounds like his apology and their conversation went way beyond his earlier statement.

If it weren't for PSU and Baylor would Riley give her the time of day? Now, unfortunately it seems more like a PR move to reach out or help victims of abuse in college football. Glad he had a coversation, but this happened 18 years ago. Just seems like if it weren't for other cases this would have never happened.
I think the view on these issues have changed a lot in the last 20 years, so I could imagine Riley being tone-deaf on it 20 years ago and coming around to the seriousness of what occurred. He seems like a decent enough guy (not that you ever really, really know), but I give him credit for inviting her back and 'taking his medicine' so to speak.

Obviously the most credit belongs to the woman in this case. I'm sure it took a ton of courage to face Riley and hopefully it provides her some comfort and relief to unburden herself from years of anger and resentment.

Only thing I don't like about this is the fact that her talking to Nebraska went public as the cynic in me says that it was staged to make Riley look good...but she very well could have been the one looking to make this a story to get her message out, and if so, then I have no problem with it.

I'm going to fall on the side of giving everyone the benefit of the doubt here, and you have to think that her message was pretty powerful for the Nebraska players and if it gets through to a few guys and gives them pause next time they are in a moment that could turn out badly, then I'm very glad she gave the talk.

Reactions: RUchip and MoobyCow
Only thing I don't like about this is the fact that her talking to Nebraska went public as the cynic in me says that it was staged to make Riley look good...but she very well could have been the one looking to make this a story to get her message out, and if so, then I have no problem with it.

I'm going to fall on the side of giving everyone the benefit of the doubt here, and you have to think that her message was pretty powerful for the Nebraska players and if it gets through to a few guys and gives them pause next time they are in a moment that could turn out badly, then I'm very glad she gave the talk.

I think that going public is the best thing for these types of stories. The more often they go public the more that people think about them, the less likely it is to happen to someone else.

Powerful stuff all around. I know that I am certainly much more aware of this than I was 20 years ago and that is because of women like the one in this story.

@Upstream this is more than a "somewhat" compelling story. It's a very compelling story.

This woman learned to be incredibly brave now when she was unable to 18 years ago. The story is about her, not Riley. He did nothing, now and did less than nothing then. It is unfortunate that things like this still occur, mostly because those that run athletics (both college and professional) have the almighty dollar always in their eyes.

I found a video that simply explains consent & that should be played in every sex ed class and every college orientation.

Reactions: hrdcorhays
I think the view on these issues have changed a lot in the last 20 years, so I could imagine Riley being tone-deaf on it 20 years ago and coming around to the seriousness of what occurred. He seems like a decent enough guy (not that you ever really, really know), but I give him credit for inviting her back and 'taking his medicine' so to speak.

Obviously the most credit belongs to the woman in this case. I'm sure it took a ton of courage to face Riley and hopefully it provides her some comfort and relief to unburden herself from years of anger and resentment.

The article seemed to be from her perspective, so I think this is the positive side, also i recall reading he reached out in 14 when he heard her story was public.

I hope after she was done he made a quick statement to the team like, "never again under my watch, you will be out of here faster than you know what happened."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT