ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Happy 50th FM Anniversary of WRSU 88.7 FM

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
Last year was the 75th anniversary of Rutgers Radio Station WRSU. It was a closed carrier AM station meaning only the dormitories could pick up the signal.

But this week a half century ago, WRSU-FM took to the airwaves. WRSU-FM did its first Rutgers football game on September 21, 1974 at Lewisburg, PA for a 16-14 win against Bucknell. WRSU (88.7 FM) hit the public airwaves on January 27, 1974.

To celebrate "The Beginning" a one hour special on our history can be listened to on the site below. Hosted by WRSU-FM's first engineer, Rich Harvey, the show contains the first voice heard, song played, an interivew with RU President Ed Bloustein, etc.

Like the announcers have to say at the top of the hour, Happy Anniversary to WRSU FM, New Brunswick!

Last edited:
The day back in 1976, I took a tour of the station contemplating whether to join or not, I was introduced briefly to a really upbeat woman doing her DJ shift.

Turns out that was recently graduated student Sheryl Lee Ralph.

Reactions: Skull83
@Source,

Where is the Knightline theme song?

And more importantly, how’d she look.😎
It was only a hello and handshake but she was upbeat, busy with the records and turntables spinning around, pretty and very pleasant - so much so that I asked my friend Mike from that time period, decades later, if that was her.

And speaking of Mike, he was the one that chose the theme song of "Knightline" that premiered during the undefeated men's basketball season of 1975-76. The song is "Dr. Music" by the Peppers.

And speaking of Mike, he was the one that chose the theme song of "Knightline" that premiered during the undefeated men's basketball season of 1975-76. The song is "Dr. Music" by the Peppers.

This is soundtrack that plays in Clyde Frazier’s head as he walks around Manhattan.

At least that’s what I imagine.😎

That is what I found first when looking for the Knightline song.
Heh heh. It's "Knightline" not "Knickline" !

It preceded sports call-in shows like WFAN in New York by over a dozen years and its homophonic namesake on ABC-TV by almost five years.

Did you work with Matt Pinfield?
I worked with Matt at the station Knight Shift. One of the highlights of my college career was playing in the WRSU All Star Band at a station fundraiser at the Ledge my junior year. Matt was on lead vocals, Steve Maffei from the station played guitar, I played bass and the drummer was a friend of Matt's that I'm drawing a blank on. We were playing with some of the top local bands that agreed to do the fundraiser, including the Smithereens. It was an awesome night. Matt came back to the station for the 75th anniversary last year and he was very kind with the current students.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT