ADVERTISEMENT

44 Years Ago Today in Rutgers Football History

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
WRSU-FM did its first Rutgers football game on September 21, 1974 at Lewisburg, PA for a 16-14 win against Bucknell. WRSU (88.7 FM) hit the public airwaves on January 27, 1974. They experienced delays in 1972 when the test signal interfered with WPVI-TV’s signal from Philadelphia. The following year, according to the October 5, 1973 Targum, “The station’s 88.7 mh signal… is apparently being picked up by hearing aid units used by hard-of-hearing youngsters in Piscataway’s Conackamack School…. Apparently, the earjack operates on the same frequency as WRSU-FM, and in recent weeks, as the station began testing its signal for the first time, the children began to receive the station’s programmed music. ‘All of a sudden, the children were dancing around, clapping their hands. I didn’t know what happened, I thought they went mad,’ said teacher Jean Nevins.”

And an article released yesterday listed WRSU-FM as one of the 10 of the Most Influential College Radio Stations in the U.S. :

https://flypaper.soundfly.com/discover/10-of-the-most-influential-college-radio-stations-in-the-us/

Reactions: DirtyRU
I wuz there. I had Rutgazzzz in a pick 'em.
Back afta dis.

29906170001_4653661086001_thumb-TimeInc4653513038001.jpg

Last edited:
If it's the game I'm thinking of, it poured for quite a while before letting up. Parked right by the stadium and went to the car when it came down to hard. Could only see the last 20 yards of the field to the right.
Nice college town.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT