ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Happy Mischief Night...

DirtyRU

All American
Gold Member
Nov 16, 2002
... or Gate Night, Hell Night, Devil's Night, Goosey Night, or in my old neck of the woods (Ridgewood), Cabbage Night. What a fun holiday that was! I know it still lives on, but barely. It's hangin' by a thread. I never went the egg route... I let my more mischievous friends handle those, but I def. loaded up on TP & shaving cream each and every year for several years. We all wore all-black and just walked all the neighborhoods in Ridgewood, causing non-destructive mayhem. Find some big Oak trees with branches that hovered over the street, drape several rolls of TP over them, and load up the hanging parts with shaving cream, creating a wall of mess for the next car to roll on through. Good times!

So who's got stories? Share away! 👻

Reactions: Scarlet16E
When I was 14, a friend and I got caught by a janitor writing "Ha Ha" on the brick exterior of Westfield High School with a bar of soap. He took us into the school and called the cops. When the cops saw that we had essentially done nothing, he let us go with a warning. I was pretty calm through the whole thing but my friend was crapping bricks.

Tonight in Manasquan, there is a 7 PM curfew for teens.

When I was 14, a friend and I got caught by a janitor writing "Ha Ha" on the brick exterior of Westfield High School with a bar of soap. He took us into the school and called the cops. When the cops saw that we had essentially done nothing, he let us go with a warning. I was pretty calm through the whole thing but my friend was crapping bricks.

Tonight in Manasquan, there is a 7 PM curfew for teens.
Crapping bricks was genius. "Cause then he could've replaced the bricks you guys soaped up.

Gotta think it hurt a little, though. What with the square shape and rough corners.

Reactions: LeapinLou
Ah the good old days. Called it Devil's Night out in the Midwest. Lived in the Detroit suburbs before that night became synonymous with burning things down. But there and in Illinois went through lots of soap, eggs, toilet paper and shaving cream.

• Love
Reactions: DirtyRU and Jm0513
I’ve got some houses I’d love to egg!
Too old?
To know how to answer, we would need to know how old you are. And we cannot ask a lady, such as yourself, how old she is.

But I'm guessing that you are not nearly too old.

Also, I'm volunteering to be your getaway driver. Especially if one of the houses in question is where donut-breath lives and you want to egg it because you two broke up. 🙂

• Haha
Reactions: Jm0513
After moving into our new house, my wife and I knew we were officially a part of the neighborhood when our tree got TP'ed on Mischief Night.

• Love
Reactions: Jm0513 and DirtyRU
A uniquely Jersey thing...

original.jpg

After moving into our new house, my wife and I knew we were officially a part of the neighborhood when our tree got TP'ed.
Maybe, maybe not. One of my favorite things to do is go around and randomly TP people's stuff.

So it coulda been me and not the neighbors.

We usually just TP’d trees, but mostly smothered each other in shaving cream, eggs, and a sock with flour in it. Not easy getting that combination out of your hair. And it can hurt getting smacked by a flour sock.

• Haha
Reactions: DirtyRU
Pump the brakes a bit...have you seen the price of eggs?
Yes. About 40% of what they were last year. And if you have a ShopRite card you got a coupon for a free dozen with a $20 total purchase.

Hmm....free eggs to toss.

Last edited:
Pump the brakes a bit...have you seen the price of eggs?
that's why I asked my son on law if he had any eggs so I could egg his car. when he stopped by today' Killjoy didn't have any or wouldn't share 😡
Hell he wouldn't even let me soap his windows🤬

Michief night was great fun. Started out with minor nuisance stuff (TP, eggs, etc.) when we were 10-11, but then we moved on to some serious vandalism. Not proud of it in hindsight, but for a couple of years we were destroying spotlights and tossing bike chains over wires, which, when done right shorted out the wires in a shower of sparks, taking down power for a street or two.

• Wow
... or Gate Night, Hell Night, Devil's Night, Goosey Night, or in my old neck of the woods (Ridgewood), Cabbage Night. What a fun holiday that was! I know it still lives on, but barely. It's hangin' by a thread. I never went the egg route... I let my more mischievous friends handle those, but I def. loaded up on TP & shaving cream each and every year for several years. We all wore all-black and just walked all the neighborhoods in Ridgewood, causing non-destructive mayhem. Find some big Oak trees with branches that hovered over the street, drape several rolls of TP over them, and load up the hanging parts with shaving cream, creating a wall of mess for the next car to roll on through. Good times!

So who's got stories? Share away! 👻
Eggs at cars at the train tracks on Harts Lane in good ole EB for a bunch of years. We all got chased by a motorist who pulled a gun on us (probably an off-duty cop trying to scare us). It worked, we called it an early night that year. LOL!

• Wow
Back when I was younger Krauszer's and all the supermarkets wouldn't let kids buy eggs on Mischief night/day.
I remember one year in Elizabeth they had the Halloween Parade on Mischief Night. As the Thomas Jefferson HS Marching Band was heading down Elizabeth Ave. near Holy Rosary a bunch of kids came out of an alley and pelted them with eggs. The band broke ranks and started to chase the kids.
One of the funniest things I ever saw.

Last edited:
+1
You had to plan out your egg supply chain at least a week in advance (including storage).

One year we convinced my friend's very first-gen immigrant parents that it was an American Halloween custom to give eggs to friends. I felt kind of bad about how happy they were handing us the carton ...but we put it to good use ;)

Lost touch with him not long after and always wondered if they ever figured that one out and rained down on him like hurricane of bricks.

I never understood this thing. I mean, I knew what is was, being a Jersey guy.

Trick or Treat.. I get. It's a protection scheme. You give us a treat or there will be a trick.. aka mischief. But to do mischief to those who you are about to extort for treats... OHHHHH THAT's IT! GENIUS!

You remind them of the kind of tricks that the neighborhood kids could pull if they are not well "treated". BRILLIANT!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT