ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Harry Potter Yacht On The Hudson

ashokan

Hall of Famer
May 3, 2011
With the pandemic, and NYC's issues, a lot of yachts have been coming up the Hudson since May. This week a yacht JK Rowling bought from Johnny Depp was on the Hudson. Reports say she sold it and others say she still owns it and it gets chartered . It went south to NYC this weekend

z0HfXgl.jpg

While I'm thinking of it, what sort of a boat is below? I never saw a boat like this on the Hudson, and it reminded by of the Kennedy's boat (I know its not the Kennedy boat)

vMQXWtH.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: biker7766
With the pandemic, and NYC's issues, a lot of yachts have been coming up the Hudson since May. This week a yacht JK Rowling bought from Johnny Depp was on the Hudson. Reports say she sold it and others say she still owns it and it gets chartered . It went south to NYC this weekend

z0HfXgl.jpg

While I'm thinking of it, what sort of a boat is below? I never saw a boat like this on the Hudson, and it reminded by of the Kennedy's boat (I know its not the Kennedy boat)

vMQXWtH.jpg
Guessing NYC folks gonna do foliage cruises up the Hudson soon.

Reactions: ashokan and JRZEER
I love Chris craft boats. Beautiful wood, great craftsmanship. Just gorgeous. I live near lake hopatcong and there are a good amount of Chris craft on the lake. When you're at a restaurant on the lake and a Chris Craft pulls up to dock everybody stops eating and looks at the boat

Last edited:

z0HfXgl.jpg

vMQXWtH.jpg

If I had to take a wild ass guess, I would go with a late 30's early 40's Trumpy yacht. They were built by John H Mathis & Co out of Camden NJ.

Reactions: ashokan
I bet. There is one guy on lake hopatcong that everyone brings their Chris Crafts to get repaired. I used to bring my kids there to look at the boats. You know to try to explain craftsmanship etc. That went over as well as breaking out my old vinyl records and explaining a record player or trying to explain a tv antenna

If anyone has been to Cabo, you often see serious super yachts there. Cabo is unique in that it's really deep right off the beach so these massive boats can come almost up to shore so you get a great look at them. There was one called the Attessa 4 I saw there that was unreal. We got invited on to it for some happy hour cocktails. The owner tells the crew where to be in the world then he flies there. They had a rack of surfboards on and said they get to surf waves no one has even ever seen many times. That boat was amazing though. It was equipped with a serious defense system, helicopter, all kinds of stuff. The lounge areas were insane. Can only imagine what that thing costs to maintain. The owner and his wife were super nice though. Living an incredible life that's for sure.

Reactions: ashokan and Jm0513
It was equipped with a serious defense system, helicopter, all kinds of stuff.
They have sonic defenses? Pirates are a real problem. I'd like to see some of those sonic weapons used vs those who aren't "mostly peaceful" with the bull-horns at these riots.

If I had to take a wild ass guess, I would go with a late 30's early 40's Trumpy yacht. They were built by John H Mathis & Co out of Camden NJ.

It does look like a Trumpy (I thought you were making a joke at first lol) but the Trumpy yachts look a little nicer. I checked my photo forums and others caught this yacht too. Turned out its from 1929 and was built for president of NYSE. Boat was just sold for 950k. It was on Pacific side for a few decades, where it could be chartered for 48K a week + fuel and extras

Reactions: RU Golfer
Guessing NYC folks gonna do foliage cruises up the Hudson soon.

We def get a lot of cruise boats up the Hudson this time of year but yachts are unusual. From what I understand, the debris in the river scares yachts away. After a bad storm you can see whole trees floating around.

This year, I think the yachts are less concerned with the trees than with the NYC situation. The other day the EPA said they are moving out if things don't get fixed. The insurgency has them targeted

If anyone has been to Cabo, you often see serious super yachts there. Cabo is unique in that it's really deep right off the beach so these massive boats can come almost up to shore so you get a great look at them. There was one called the Attessa 4 I saw there that was unreal. We got invited on to it for some happy hour cocktails. The owner tells the crew where to be in the world then he flies there. They had a rack of surfboards on and said they get to surf waves no one has even ever seen many times. That boat was amazing though. It was equipped with a serious defense system, helicopter, all kinds of stuff. The lounge areas were insane. Can only imagine what that thing costs to maintain. The owner and his wife were super nice though. Living an incredible life that's for sure.

Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti was also up here the past weeks. He parked his dinghy ("Winning Drive") in Kingston

rV5j4NG.jpg

qwycDjN.jpg

Speaking of the hudson river valley.. anyone who hasn't read the Boyle novel "World's End".. do it. A few decades after it was published.. but still no movie... so read it.

Potter yacht going under the Walkway Over the Hudson

swMLSDw.jpg
"walkway"... amazing RR bridge for its day.. iirc.. that bridge was used as a pawn in some high stakes financial war among RR tycoons. Someone had it closed.. ceasing someone else's access to NYC and points east of the Hudson.

High Bridge.. don't know why they had to change its name.

Balloon festivals rule man. I grew up in Hunterdon County and we had one right down the road. Great times. I worked for a sporting goods store in high school and we would teach kids to Rollerblade there. Worked camps all over the area including another fest. Then trampolines became a thing so we would set those up and let people go wild. Got there like 5am for sunrise launch. Worked “security“ in college which meant a tshirt and walkie talkie and 17 hour shifts. Whatever. Great times. We had balloons land on our ranch a few times too over the years as a kid. Guy would break out champagne and we got to go up on a ride. Wish I realized this was happening today.

Balloon festivals rule man. I grew up in Hunterdon County and we had one right down the road. Great times. I worked for a sporting goods store in high school and we would teach kids to Rollerblade there. Worked camps all over the area including another fest. Then trampolines became a thing so we would set those up and let people go wild. Got there like 5am for sunrise launch. Worked “security“ in college which meant a tshirt and walkie talkie and 17 hour shifts. Whatever. Great times. We had balloons land on our ranch a few times too over the years as a kid. Guy would break out champagne and we got to go up on a ride. Wish I realized this was happening today.

Weather will be a bit sketchy today. The festival was delayed because of you--know-what, and its usually held in July, It was closer to the Hudson as well - right near the walkway bridge

UydomRj.jpg

y7GOIcE.jpg

They have sonic defenses? Pirates are a real problem. I'd like to see some of those sonic weapons used vs those who aren't "mostly peaceful" with the bull-horns at these riots.
It did. They were pretty tght lipped about it and I didn’t want to pry but they did mention that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT