ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Has there ever been a more dysfunctional pro sports team than the Brooklyn Nets?

WhichReligionIsRight

Hall of Famer
Oct 19, 2010
Davis, CA
The drama with this team gets weirder every day. I can think of some ownership situations - The Commanders, Clippers/Donald Sterling - but nothing I can recall comes close to this level of dysfunctionality. There have been player implosions before - but none with the superstar talent built to WIN NBA championships. How weird is it when Ben Simmons is, like maybe the #8 issue on this team (No, I don't have an actual list).

I kind of gave up on the Nets when they straight-up sold Dr J to the 76ers to pay for NBA entrance fee, but always had a soft spot for the team. There is a weird karma jinx on the team - even when they made the NBA finals (as sacrificial lambs). The Nets somehow even manage to make the Knicks seem like a model NBA franchise.

Reactions: jrm75 and GSGS
The drama with this team gets weirder every day. I can think of some ownership situations - The Commanders, Clippers/Donald Sterling - but nothing I can recall comes close to this level of dysfunctionality. There have been player implosions before - but none with the superstar talent built to WIN NBA championships. How weird is it when Ben Simmons is, like maybe the #8 issue on this team (No, I don't have an actual list).

I kind of gave up on the Nets when they straight-up sold Dr J to the 76ers to pay for NBA entrance fee, but always had a soft spot for the team. There is a weird karma jinx on the team - even when they made the NBA finals (as sacrificial lambs). The Nets somehow even manage to make the Knicks seem like a model NBA franchise.
Put 3 drama queens like Durant, Irving, and Simmons together and this is what your get.

Have you ever heard of the Jets?

Hmm. Had to think about it for a second. But not even close. The closest I can cup with is the Phoenix Coyotes ( but they never contend for the Stanley Cup), Clippers (Donald Sterling era), The Knicks with Isiah Thomas, Hubie Brown and Stephon Marbury and their terrible owner is also high on the list. The Commanders, of course.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
The Nets and Commanders situations are pretty different. Commanders is crazy from the top but it's not the players. The Nets crazy comes from the players and this move is really one of the few head scratchers from the Nets brass, IMO. Desperation creates crazy responses I guess.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Hmm. Had to think about it for a second. But not even close. The closest I can cup with is the Phoenix Coyotes ( but they never contend for the Stanley Cup), Clippers (Donald Sterling era), The Knicks with Isiah Thomas, Hubie Brown and Stephon Marbury and their terrible owner is also high on the list. The Commanders, of course.
If you’re talking about 1 year or a couple of years, okay I’m sure many examples could be given. For me, nothing touches the Jets organizations’ ineptitude the past… I don’t know, 50 years?

If you’re talking about 1 year or a couple of years, okay I’m sure many examples could be given. For me, nothing touches the Jets organizations’ ineptitude the past… I don’t know, 50 years?
Ehh, my Knicks had and some would argue are still having a good ineptitude run since 2001.

Kyrie Irving just suspended for being anti-semitic. Should have happened days ago:

The Nets had a great core and blew it all away. They didn’t learn from the Boston trade, did essentially the same thing for Harden
They certainly did have a great core - however there was a ceiling with that great core alone - they definitely needed to add superstar(s). Getting Durant was definitely the right move, and getting Kyrie to make Durant happy I can't argue with either at the time. Kyrie looks good on paper and in the stat lines, but in reality is just hot garbage. I think Kyrie has played his last game for the Nets, and Durant will probably start trying to force his way out of BK again shortly. I will say I never understood the Boston trade - they were all aging and on the wrong side of their careers. Anyway hopefully the Nets blow it up and get a great core again.

Kyrie probably never even saw the movie he made reference to. Also assume 99% of the people coming out against him and the movie never saw it or even heard about it prior to this.

And assuming he never did see it, he easily could have come out and said that... "I apologize. I listened to the wrong people and only saw a few bits of the movie, not realizing that there were other parts that were so hurtful. I will be sure to pay better attention to things like this in the future." even though he won't...

With the exception of a couple of the Jason Kidd years, that franchise has been a dumpster fire since Dr J left

Uhh yeah. There's been much worse things to happen in pro sports than some ****ing guy tweeting something lol

Kyrie's post to an Amazon movie is a 1/10 in terms of severity

I used to closely follow and root for the nets but I stopped after they signed Kyrie. I can’t stand that kind of drama in teams. I love organizations with a strong culture. That’s why I love what Pike is building and what GS 1.0 built.

• Love
Small Business Win GIF by QuickBooks

https://www.espn.com/nba/game/_/gameId/401468278

I've been a Nets fan since their NJ Americans days. Since they've moved to Brooklyn I've been drifting away from them (the whole NBA really) and the past few years have made me not even check to see if they've won.
Like Kyrie, I'm a St. Pat's alumnus and I knew a lot of people associated with the school that always would tell me what a great kid he was. It seems like the past 5-6 years he's just gone off the deep end and has become the symbol of the spoiled, it's all about me modern athlete.
It's really a shame because the guy is so talented and he had the chance to be a great NBA point guard.
If I was management I would release him. Not just because of this most recent incident but because of the accumulation of problems and distractions he's created.
Nothing is worth all this headache.

Last edited:
They certainly did have a great core - however there was a ceiling with that great core alone - they definitely needed to add superstar(s). Getting Durant was definitely the right move, and getting Kyrie to make Durant happy I can't argue with either at the time. Kyrie looks good on paper and in the stat lines, but in reality is just hot garbage. I think Kyrie has played his last game for the Nets, and Durant will probably start trying to force his way out of BK again shortly. I will say I never understood the Boston trade - they were all aging and on the wrong side of their careers. Anyway hopefully the Nets blow it up and get a great core again.
Kyrie's departure from Cleveland suggested a lack of character... more evident now.

In addition I don't know who thought hiring Steve Nash as head coach was a good idea. Did the guy have any coaching experience before.
It use to be you worked your way up through the ranks but that's rare now.

Uhh yeah. There's been much worse things to happen in pro sports than some ****ing guy tweeting something lol

Kyrie's post to an Amazon movie is a 1/10 in terms of severity
Yes and No - if Kyrie was a factory worker this is probably a nothing burger, though if someone complained and pushed it maybe it's something. The fact that he is part of a business that relies so heavily on the public perception of it's employees does make this a big deal. On top of that we are in a bad place in our society right now. In the end he violated code of conduct policies, and was given PLENTY of time to make ammends and do the right thing and kind of blew it off.

If a player had posted a movie that slavery was a hoax you can bet that players would be speaking out and condemning it. I have yet to hear one player come out and say anything about what Kyrie posted was wrong and hurtful - KD came out and said the Nets organization should have just ignored it, and then came out to say that he was misunderstood and people were confused by his comments. Ummmm- nobody was confused by what you said! In the end kind of a sad state of affairs that not one player has come out to condemn what Kyrie did.

Last edited:
Ehh, my Knicks had and some would argue are still having a good ineptitude run since 2001.
I thought the same thing. It amazes me that people have actually paid to watch them for most of that period.

Early 90s Mets . Vince Coleman setting off fireworks and Brett saberhagen spraying bleach say hello

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT