ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Insights from those in the industry about Biomedical Engineering degrees/careers

m1ipabrams

All American
Gold Member
Apr 15, 2007
Downingtown, PA
My son is going to start his college experience next year and believes that he wants to pursue Biomedical Engineering(still deciding on school, tick tock) He fully expects to have to pursue a graduate degree once he completes his undergrad. He is particularly interested in cellular/molecular level therapy development that combines biology and chemistry knowledge.

The question I am throwing out there to anyone who has any experience here is what does the industry and opportunities look like these days in the field? Are people with these skill sets in demand? what are career prospects like and what kinds of firms do folks with this background end up in.

Thanks for any insights anyone may have.

My son is going to start his college experience next year and believes that he wants to pursue Biomedical Engineering(still deciding on school, tick tock) He fully expects to have to pursue a graduate degree once he completes his undergrad. He is particularly interested in cellular/molecular level therapy development that combines biology and chemistry knowledge.

The question I am throwing out there to anyone who has any experience here is what does the industry and opportunities look like these days in the field? Are people with these skill sets in demand? what are career prospects like and what kinds of firms do folks with this background end up in.

As I'm sure you know, before college is very early for anyone to "know" what they want to do, so looking for a college that has good programs in a number of those related fields is probably good. Many people change majors and one wouldn't want to be at a school with a great biochemistry program but a crappy biomedical eng'g program or vice-versa, if one wanted to move from the cellular/molecular level (where biochemistry or chemistry is likely the major) to organ or body wide transport or device design (where biomedical eng'g is probably the major) or the other way. This is just an example.

With regard to the field, after decades of promise, biotechnology (encompassing the fields above and more, especially within Pharma - from tiny start-ups to mid-size and giant corporations) is finally delivering in a big way, with there now being as much or more new drugs and blockbusters that are biologicals/monoclonal antibodies and vaccines as there are small molecule drugs, which wasn't the case even 10 years ago. And the pace of innovation in the basic sciences (especially in mAbs, mRNA technology and gene therapies) and the application of these basic sciences in the medical and other fields is only accelerating, so great potential for anyone getting into them.

https://www.pharmaceutical-technolo...ecent GlobalData,small molecule sales by 2027.

As I think you know, I worked with a ton of people from these disciplines in my 31 years in new drug R&D at Merck. The one thing I can say is that, at least over that time and still, a PhD is almost a must for anyone in the "hard" sciences in the R&D/pharma/medical fields, whereas a PhD is nice, but not necessary in the eng'g counterparts involved in scale-up/applications and eventually manufacturing, supply chain, etc.

One more thing: most good universities, these days (including Rutgers), have programs for most of these majors wherein HS students can get involved in things like info sessions/seminars to get a flavor of what is involved - I would think any decent HS would be able to hook your son up with the appropriate folks from any colleges he's interested in. Hope that helps.

@RU848789 gave some solid advice.
Going to a university that has solid majors in both biomedical engineering AND biology/biochemistry provides flexibility.
I always recommend to students considering science/engineering majors to give some thought to obtaining a law degree and going into patent law. Second best decision I have made in my life. Unlimited opportunities and options, and great earning potential. Of course, you would forgo the pure science aspect of a career, and you would be working with scientists/engineers to help protect their inventions or enforce/defend their patents.

As I'm sure you know, before college is very early for anyone to "know" what they want to do, so looking for a college that has good programs in a number of those related fields is probably good. Many people change majors and one wouldn't want to be at a school with a great biochemistry program but a crappy biomedical eng'g program or vice-versa, if one wanted to move from the cellular/molecular level (where biochemistry or chemistry is likely the major) to organ or body wide transport or device design (where biomedical eng'g is probably the major) or the other way. This is just an example.

With regard to the field, after decades of promise, biotechnology (encompassing the fields above and more, especially within Pharma - from tiny start-ups to mid-size and giant corporations) is finally delivering in a big way, with there now being as much or more new drugs and blockbusters that are biologicals/monoclonal antibodies and vaccines as there are small molecule drugs, which wasn't the case even 10 years ago. And the pace of innovation in the basic sciences (especially in mAbs, mRNA technology and gene therapies) and the application of these basic sciences in the medical and other fields is only accelerating, so great potential for anyone getting into them.

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/comment/biologic-sales-small-molecule-sales/#:~:text=According to the recent GlobalData,small molecule sales by 2027.

As I think you know, I worked with a ton of people from these disciplines in my 31 years in new drug R&D at Merck. The one thing I can say is that, at least over that time and still, a PhD is almost a must for anyone in the "hard" sciences in the R&D/pharma/medical fields, whereas a PhD is nice, but not necessary in the eng'g counterparts involved in scale-up/applications and eventually manufacturing, supply chain, etc.

One more thing: most good universities, these days (including Rutgers), have programs for most of these majors wherein HS students can get involved in things like info sessions/seminars to get a flavor of what is involved - I would think any decent HS would be able to hook your son up with the appropriate folks from any colleges he's interested in. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the response. My son has been able to talk to faculty within the Biomedical Eng programs at RU and Boston U which are the two schools he is down to. Everything he has heard from those programs seemed to align with what he wants to be involved with.

BU would get the nod here based on program rankings, school reps and location(he loves boston), but RU counters with an invite to the Honors College and generous scholarship, making the cost difference >50K a year, which isn't chump change. Obviously BU is a place lots of firms recruit from, and RU played up location in NJ and the pharma corridor, but do you have any insights on how industry views the program at RU?

Going to a university that has solid majors in both biomedical engineering AND biology/biochemistry provides flexibility.
I always recommend to students considering science/engineering majors to give some thought to obtaining a law degree and going into patent law. Second best decision I have made in my life. Unlimited opportunities and options, and great earning potential. Of course, you would forgo the pure science aspect of a career, and you would be working with scientists/engineers to help protect their inventions or enforce/defend their patents.
I agree completely on wanting to have good options, I know my daughter ended up in a very different major then she started with.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Yep, always worth thinking about. I was a few whiskers away from getting a law degree after the PhD. One other thing for the op's son to consider is the rapidly evolving world of computing and AI and how those already are and eventually will impact those sciences, from discovery to development and manufacturing, so it would probably behoove him (and any young student) to at least become familiar with computing/AI.

Reactions: m1ipabrams
Thanks for the response. My son has been able to talk to faculty within the Biomedical Eng programs at RU and Boston U which are the two schools he is down to. Everything he has heard from those programs seemed to align with what he wants to be involved with.

BU would get the nod here based on program rankings, school reps and location(he loves boston), but RU counters with an invite to the Honors College and generous scholarship, making the cost difference >50K a year, which isn't chump change. Obviously BU is a place lots of firms recruit from, and RU played up location in NJ and the pharma corridor, but do you have any insights on how industry views the program at RU?
Sounds like he's doing the appropriate research. One thing I have read, though, is that many BME's have had trouble getting internships and jobs compared to other kinds of engineers and scientists, perhaps because the "science" folks view them as being not scientific enough and the "engineer" folks view them as not having rigorous enough training in eng'g. Don't know how accurate this is, but you can find forums (reddit) where people talk about these things. Don't think it's a showstopper, but worth him investigating a bit, if he goes BME.

Anyway, with respect to what I can add regarding my experience, that's mostly in chemistry and chem/biochem eng'g, which is related, but not exactly the same, obviously, as BME. Anyway, to begin with, Merck is a worldwide leader in chemical discovery and process development and tech transfer to manufacturing with both the chemistry and chemical eng'g departments considered at or near the top in Pharma. In chemistry, Merck did not recruit heavily from Rutgers or BU (but did recruit from RU on occasion).

In chemical/biochemical eng'g (not the same as biomedical eng'g), Merck recruited from Rutgers as a core school, as I've posted about many times, since I was the lead Merck recruiter for Rutgers engineers (primarily chemical/bioch, but the occasional biomed and mechanical too) for about 12-13 years, hiring dozens of interns (2-3 per year from RU and about 9 other schools) and about 15-20 full time engineer hires from RU over that time.

In addition, I was on the chem eng'g R&D dept senior staff for about my last 15 years at Merck and throughout that time, close to half of the senior staff, including two of the best dept. heads, were RU grads, so RU grads actually did better, on average, in a highly competitive dept., than grads from MIT, Berkeley, Princeton, PSU, UVA, Ill, UM, GT, etc. (the other primary eng'g schools we recruited from). We never recruited anyone from BU that I know of, which is not to say it's not a good school, but I would give RU the edge here, particularly in eng'g and by a little bit in chemistry.

With regard to rankings, both schools are pretty highly ranked in engineering and biomedical engineering (but not at the top), but please don't go by USNWR, which is generally not taken seriously by industry in any way, that I know of. I did recruit/hire a couple of biomedical eng'g folks, who wanted to get more into chem/biochem process eng'g (which is a bit different from biomed, which is more focused on things like medical devices, implants and such whereas biochem eng'g is more focused on things like fermentations and other bioprocesses to make biomolecules) and they did well.

I'd like to share the experience of my daughter who entered Villanova in 2007 thinking premed. With the changes that were taking place in the field of private practice she went in a different direction and graduated with a BS in Biochemistry. After working at a NYC patent law firm as a paralegal for a few years she got an MBS in Biotechnology and Genomics at Rutgers at night. She then completed her law degree several years later and as a patent attorney she is now the youngest patent attorney at Bristol Myers Squibb working on all the new class of biologic drugs being developed. Very innovative space that is in it's infancy. A path to look into.

I'd like to share the experience of my daughter who entered Villanova in 2007 thinking premed. With the changes that were taking place in the field of private practice she went in a different direction and graduated with a BS in Biochemistry. After working at a NYC patent law firm as a paralegal for a few years she got an MBS in Biotechnology and Genomics at Rutgers at night. She then completed her law degree several years later and as a patent attorney she is now the youngest patent attorney at Bristol Myers Squibb working on all the new class of biologic drugs being developed. Very innovative space that is in it's infancy. A path to look into.
Agreed. Our patent firm has a former Bristol Myers Squibb small molecule chemist as a partner. We enjoy the variety of work we do as outside counsel. We handle biotech, medical devices, pharma, industrial chemistry and semiconductor chemistry work. We have a summer associate working with us this summer who has a biomedical engineering degree. We liked the breadth of his course work.

Reactions: Rutgers81

Since this is not a weather thread, @RU848789 is giving good advice. One other thing. While you never know what type career you will end up with, an engineering education is the best for keeping your options open. A quality engineering program will teach you how to problem solve, seek out info and answers, and adapt to new situations. These skills are valuable and the reason why so many engineers end up as CEOs of Fortune 500 companies. Personally, I'm a RU ChemE, but only worked as such for a short amount of time. I loved pharma/biotech, but wanted to move to the commercial side of the industry instead of R&D. Got an MBA instead of a PhD and have been blessed to do something I love for the past 20 years and counting.

I believe only 50% of engineers end up with engineering jobs. The education is so flexible! You son can't go wrong with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT