ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Interesting Rumors in Sports

Glavine, smoltz and maddux are all, allegedly, incredible golfers. And they had an ongoing, multi year, running competition for best score. They had recurring bookings at the best courses in the away cities they’d visit; they’d play on both off AND on days.

I’ve long felt, fact or fiction, that someone needs to write a book about their golf escapades and how it fed the Braves run of consecutive NL East titles and the competitive spirit that pitching group had.

Last edited:
Glavine, smoltz and maddux are all, allegedly, incredible golfers. And they had an ongoing, multi year, running competition for best score. They had recurring bookings at the best courses in the away cities they’d visit; they’d play on both off AND on days.

I’ve long felt, fact or fiction, that someone needs to write a book about their golf escapades and how it fed the Braves dynasty and the competitive spirit that pitching group had.
I have heard of that . But not sure if I would call them a “dynasty “, unless you’re talking NL east specific . They only won the 1 World Series

I have heard of that . But not sure if I would call them a “dynasty “, unless you’re talking NL east specific . They only won the 1 World Series
Fair. I fixed it. I was more referring to the 10 (or 12? I forget) straight NL east titles

Reactions: Plum Street

I’ve long felt, fact or fiction, that someone needs to write a book about their golf escapades and how it fed the Braves run of consecutive NL East titles and the competitive spirit that pitching group had.
A high school buddy was a groundskeeper at Pine Valley and has a nice picture with them plus Steve Avery.

Reactions: Randal7
Heard this story from someone who knew the other player very well. The story goes that this person was a well known NJ hooper who was drafted into the legendary Celtic teams. Upon arriving to camp, he was to live with John Havlicek. During this time rookies stayed with the families of the established players. So, everything you can imagine. Slept there, had dinners with the family. Basically became part of the extended family. Well, once he makes the team and they transition to regular season practices, he moves out. At the first practice, Havlicek punches him right in the nose and tells him he’s got no shot of taking his spot

not really a rumor but funny

Rex Ryan has a major foot fetish and his wife takes good care of it.
Classic on the NFL Network talking about a players foot injury and Rex said," He'll be back in 4 weeks, and I know feet", lol. Something like that

Derek Jeter, in his single days, after spending the night with a girl would give the girl a "gift bag" including a signed baseball.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Derek Jeter, in his single days, after spending the night with a girl would give the girl a "gift bag" including a signed baseball.
My very best friend- moved to Tampa from CT in the late 90's. His daughter- one of the most incredible beauties I have ever known, dated Derek in the early 2000's.
Dad never got a signed baseball but...here is how Derek rolled- and this came from his daughter who I consider a niece.
Derek's trainer is the one who approached her- i forget if at the gym or at a club. At first, she thought he was hitting on her himself. She was friendly and single and he was also friendly and single- so, she was obviously cool with that and even without mentioning DJ, she said that you could tell, he was on the in...
They talk and then when he is comfortable that she is both single, not really looking for attachments, stable and not a "groupie" - The real deal comes out. That Derek was interested in meeting her.
The Dude had this all figured out and it was precision.

She says he was one of the most attentive, classy men she had ever met. When they would go out, he was always on her. Yes, he would still sign autographs and such but as his date, she was his and he was hers all night.

Then she filled in the blanks. Before their first date and over a coffee or drink, he would explain he is not looking for anything perm but he did love respect both ways.
So- if she was on a date with him, it would always be about her. She would never be embarrassed and he would treat her with complete respect.
But...THAT was her time. He did not want stop byes, randoms calls etc. He would be ok if out with the guys if she came by to say hello but if she saw he was waiting for someone or out with another girl, respect her as that girl most likely respected their date as well.

The guy had class but was a well oiled machine.

Reactions: redking
Heard Jim Rice had such a powerful swing that he'd snap golf clubs when driving.

I assumed the Piston Isiah was gay. Ex colleague grew up in Kalamazoo. He claims his cousin dated a young awkward Jeter in high school and broke up with him. They did get tickets Jeter's rookie year in NY.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Thought this could be a fun summer topic. Sports based stories or rumors we have heard over the years that may very well be true .

First up the Kevin Costner and Cal Ripken jr. spat . As rumor had it , Costner was having an affair with Ripken’s wife . Ripken finds them and gets into a fight with Costner and is unable to play that night . The orioles then stage a fake power outage at Camden yards so Ripken’s consecutive game streak can continue the next day.

What else ?
One of my cousins was a MD state trooper at the time of the power outage thing and told me about it. I don’t remember whether he had particular insight as a trooper but interesting nonetheless. I didn’t remember Costner’s involvement.

One of my cousins was a MD state trooper at the time of the power outage thing and told me about it. I don’t remember whether he had particular insight as a trooper but interesting nonetheless. I didn’t remember Costner’s involvement.
I do.

But my recollection from the story I was told wasn’t about anyone hurt. More of Ripken being so angry and disgusted that he left and couldn’t be contacted or convinced to play that night.

Cosmos goalie Shep Messing was substitute sports news guy at WNBC. After his segment, he asked anchor Sue Simmons for a date...on live TV. This was in the late 70s. I don't recall her replying and I never learned whether that date occurred. Gave it a 10 for bravery and another 10 for stupidity.

Cosmos goalie Shep Messing was substitute sports news guy at WNBC. After his segment, he asked anchor Sue Simmons for a date...on live TV. This was in the late 70s. I don't recall her replying and I never learned whether that date occurred. Gave it a 10 for bravery and another 10 for stupidity.
Considering she played for the other team, probably not.

And for that he gets an 11 for the stupidity part.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimpeg
Here’s another one from the 1990s. UNC basketball player Jeff McInnis was having an affair with Phil ford’s wife , who was an assistant at the time . A work colleague of mine went to unc and said this is pretty much common knowledge and John Feinstein loosely referred to trouble between the two in his book on the acc he was writing that season . But Feinstein punted on the reason why the two had conflict.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT