ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Iona, 8 recruits, none have stepped foot on campus

That's a very unusual situation. And IIRC, Iona is in New Rochelle, right? That was the first place in the metro region to go on lockdown.

A very interesting class: 2 Africans, one Swede, 3 Tejanos, and one guy from each Florida and Brooklyn. It will be quite an event when they all meet for the first time, with Pitino there.

In the article, he mentions beating out schools "like Rutgers" and others for players. Anyone know who we might have been recruiting?

This is shaping up to be the biggest thing that happened to Iona since Jimmy V. was coaching there prior to getting the NC State job. He took Iona to it greatest heights in memory and, IIRC, had a really good big man as the center. I believe that RU and Iona played in a double-header at one point during Jimmy V's time there.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Pitino going to Iona reminds me of when Jerry Tarkanian left UNLV for Fresno State. It wasn’t long before Fresno State was getting Top 50 recruits and was ranked in the Top 25.

Iona sold their MBB soul to the devil many years ago. Pitino is perfect for them. No oversight and he can cut any deal he likes with street agents, coaches, etc. for recruits.

Will be interesting to see the talent he brings in this season. Winning the MAAC is guaranteed. How fast they move up from there is unknown. But it won’t take long.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
He mentioned us as one of the schools that Iona beat out for one of the recruits. Does anyone know who that may be?

That's a very unusual situation. And IIRC, Iona is in New Rochelle, right? That was the first place in the metro region to go on lockdown.

A very interesting class: 2 Africans, one Swede, 3 Tejanos, and one guy from each Florida and Brooklyn. It will be quite an event when they all meet for the first time, with Pitino there.

In the article, he mentions beating out schools "like Rutgers" and others for players. Anyone know who we might have been recruiting?

This is shaping up to be the biggest thing that happened to Iona since Jimmy V. was coaching there prior to getting the NC State job. He took Iona to it greatest heights in memory and, IIRC, had a really good big man as the center. I believe that RU and Iona played in a double-header at one point during Jimmy V's time there.

Jeff Ruland.

Kids wanna play for Pitino. They don’t give a **** about the Lville scandals. He’s an elite coach albeit a dirty one
This. No one cares about a few hookers and some booze at UL. Hes kevin willards replacement after he becomes a media darling locally, hes too likable

Reactions: Pancho1939
Lol we would sell out the RAC because we’re a good program now not because Rick Pitino is in town coaching an Iona squad.

Kids may want to play for Pitino but fans aren’t going to flock to a game to watch him coach.

I see no upside to playing them because you know he’ll cheat and they’ll be good very quickly.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Lol we would sell out the RAC because we’re a good program now not because Rick Pitino is in town coaching an Iona squad.

Kids may want to play for Pitino but fans aren’t going to flock to a game to watch him coach.

I see no upside to playing them because you know he’ll cheat and they’ll be good very quickly.
We will not sell out OOC games, even with a solid team.

NY Post
Rick Pitino’s Iona recruiting showing he ‘hasn’t lost his touch’
I think his "touch" looks something like this:
IMG_3816_bb06856c-054e-4f63-ac21-1d5cb0450039_grande-3_250x.png

The guy has won two national championships. Coached countless NBA players. Playing for a coach of that caliber is a dream for guys at any level never mind the MAAC. Even though I dislike him a lot, it is still a no brainer to play for him if he calls.
Just don’t let your girlfriend, sister, or Mom within 100 miles of him !

Reactions: Pancho1939

He didn’t really cheat . i even forget why that Louisville title was vacated

Did we sell out the RAC when we played him before in conference games?? Now we will magically when he’s at a MAAC school? Right ..

also, those who are afraid of playing a Pitino Iona at the RAC, I seem to remember some RAC games against the Ville that were pretty close including when they were something like #5 and it was tied 23-23 at halftime and this was under Jordan or Rice, not Pike

I remember us about 20 years ago playing Iona home and we lost. I vaguely recall a kid named jablonski or something like that killing us. Anyone remember that game?

Pitino's unique blend of grime may be unpalatable to many, but he has a proven system that wins college basketball games and National Championships. A spoonful of sugar will help Iona to choke down that particular medicine.

Last edited:
I remember us about 20 years ago playing Iona home and we lost. I vaguely recall a kid named jablonski or something like that killing us. Anyone remember that game?

Yeah I think it was bannon’s first year . Welsh was the Iona coach. They went to the tournament that year and lost to Syracuse in a close game

Reactions: BigEastPhil
I remember that Championship Louisville team at the RAC in 2013. What a team, MontreZ Harrell, Blackshear, Peyton Silva, Russ Smith, Giorgi Dieng

SOS. They can replace Caldwell on the schedule
Should they have played Caldwell? No. But...
RUs sos was 47 overall and 95 non conf. . Nothing wrong with that.
Caldwell didn't even count.
What they need is decent winnable road games.

Should they have played Caldwell? No. But...
RUs sos was 47 overall and 95 non conf. . Nothing wrong with that.
Caldwell didn't even count.
What they need is decent winnable road games.
This season playing Cladwell did not hurt, at the end of the season. But since you can't count on going 18-1 at home each and every season having a game against a team that's at least (or worse depending on your point of view) a Quad 3 opponent is better than playing Caldwell.

If you want a good road game, call Dayton and ask them for a home-and-home. An A10/Big Ten matchup has a nice ring to it.

Caldwell is the biggest winner. I assume they went home with a decent paycheck that helped to pay lots of their annual expenses. A dismal game for folks with a season ticket package. Was it a freebie for season ticket buyers?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT