ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ITT we ask @beaced venerable old man questions

Started weight training at age 20 when I got out of service in 1945.Ate all the regular shit ,including sugars. Not much beer.Occasional bourbon old fashioned.Lots of milk.Took basic vitamins at that time. Started getting panic attacks in 1973.Stopped the milk,lactose intolerant, and started learning about vitamins and supplements.No panic attacks since then.From that time on ate a lot of protein and completely eliminated added sugars. NO: candy,cake,pies etc,sodas. Sugars were anathema to me.Was married in '54. Two daughters. '60 and '62.Three FB playing Grand sons and a just turned 21 ,beautiful Grand daughter a Senior at NC ST.Caddied as a kid and played golf all of my life until age 75. Kept lifting moderately until age 85. Tore up both rotator cuffs in the process and suffer badly with them to this day.Continued limited arm moves and walked for exercise.Took and passed stress tests every 2 years and TG,the ticker is doing fine.I use a cane for walking,balance is crappy and I am feeling the 94 years. Eat like a horse .Limited beer,ice cream,some cookies and pastries.BTW,stayed away from white flour products like the plague over all of the training years.Did have,of course, spaghetti occasionally.THANKYOU FOR YOUR KIND WORDS. I THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR COMMENTS.WE ARE INDEED AN RU FB FAMILY.
It sounds like you have been rewarded for being open minded and intelligent enough to go completely against the "accepted wisdom" at the time from mainstream science and the government that eating a lot of carbohydrates was okay as long as you limited your intake of fat. It only took 40-50 years for the "experts" to figure out you were right all along. The science is starting to come around on the idea of weight training as exercise for older people as well.

Best wishes, and I look forward to your anniversary posts about what it was like to live through the Great Depression in another ten years or so.

The answers are better than the questions!

Anybody else notice the significance of the date for his birthday?

• Love
Reactions: Vlife and beaced
They burn much better than the current ones.
When I went to the bonfire pep rallies as a teenager, I could swear they used some old goalposts as well as other lumber. Plus they looked so much better on display in a frat house than a piece of metal hanging somewhere.

Happy Be-early 95th Birthday,. what was your first car? What did you like most about it? What part have you the most grief?

10 decades of music, which decades had the best music in your opinion?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT