ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jeff Hafley Leaves BC

It’s looking like Kliff Kingsbury is going to the Raiders as their OC. I’m assuming he could have landed a big college job if he wanted.

Chip Kelly was in the running for Raiders OC and looks to be a strong candidate under Dan Quinn for Washington Commanders OC.
This trend is going to keep growing if college game keeps going down this path.

And how many times did it not work? It literally a one in a million play. The thing that comes out hypocritical is he get on his high horse about protecting players by banning kick off then blitzes a kneel down. If he that worried about player safety why blitz a kneel down for something that on in a million chance. I completely understand why he hates kickoffs.
Or maybe teams shouldn't just assume that the defense is gonna lay down and play dead just because they want to kneel down and kill the clock. If it's possible for a fumble to still win the game you protect yourself and don't whine like a 5 year old girl when the other team keeps playing.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Shame on the NCAA for not jumping on the NIL thing early and putting in some structure and regulations/guidelines. Here we are and they are no closer to doing anything, but they can take 9 months to rule on the eligibility of a player.

It’s paywall but one name mentioned.

From the article:

Anthony Campanile, Miami Dolphins linebackers coach

Campanile is another who has been in the mix for some NFL coordinator jobs. The 41-year-old former BC assistant from New Jersey was “loved” when he worked in Chestnut Hill inside the school, according to a source. He has strong recruiting ties in the BC footprint. Would he want to come back to college?

Interesting quote…

“He wants to go coach football again in a league that is all about football,” a source close to Hafley told ESPN. “College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore."
Can see why, even if it means a pay cut. Have known many people who took pay cuts as executives either because the company they were at was a bad fit, a bad company, or going downhill just to find happiness in going to work each day. More dollars cannot compensate for a miserable job.
Shaky ground or not, he’s got 3 years left at you have to figure at least 4 million a year. So 12 million. He’s giving that up for what? about 1 million a year for 4 years? Think it has more to do with the BS the job security
That depends. While it is difficult to find a pay scale for NFL coordinators, the article from last year says some of them have made in the neighborhood of $3-4 million. Not saying Hafley got that much, but as I said before, if your job has become a misery, and you can make "enough" to be comfortable in life, it's a great move to dump a miserable job to go to a one that has less headaches.

A couple of ex-Rutgers guys on the BC coaching staff- Savon Huggins and Steve Shimko.

Kyle Flood’s name being mentioned for the BC job.
Kyle might have learned how to handle the job better , learning how to be a good HC by working with Saban at Bama and overcoming mistakes during his time with Sarkisian first at Alabama then going to Texas when Sarkisian was made the Longhorns' HC.
Flood had some good years as RU's HC, he just ran a bad program that was trending downward because of his not being ready to take on the top spot.
He might be ready to be a HC now, but I feel BC might be to big of a challenge for him to win at and a G-5 program might be best for a return to HC for him

Kyle Flood’s name being mentioned for the BC job.
Wouldn’t Kyle’s academic tomfoolery at Rutgers exclude him from Boston College consideration? Though St. John’s did hire Rick Pitino, so that’s probably a dumb question.

Wouldn’t Kyle’s academic tomfoolery at Rutgers exclude him from Boston College consideration? Though St. John’s did hire Rick Pitino, so that’s probably a dumb question.
His tomfoolery was asking for an extra credit assignment not changing grades. And I believe it was a Rutgers rule that he was not supposed to talk to professors directly. Not sure it would worry BC too much

Reactions: Knight Shift
Kyle might have learned how to handle the job better , learning how to be a good HC by working with Saban at Bama and overcoming mistakes during his time with Sarkisian first at Alabama then going to Texas when Sarkisian was made the Longhorns' HC.
Flood had some good years as RU's HC, he just ran a bad program that was trending downward because of his not being ready to take on the top spot.
He might be ready to be a HC now, but I feel BC might be to big of a challenge for him to win at and a G-5 program might be best for a return to HC for him
I don’t know if folios needs to start at a G5 but the BC job is not an easy one…

Oh No, we’re in trouble. Kyle Flood is known as a great recruiter, the best recruiter for Texas.

As for Flood, if he were to be hired as the head coach it would be his second crack at being a head coach. He was the head coach at Rutgers from 2012-2015 where he posted a 26-22 record, but was ultimately fired. If the Longhorns were to lose Flood who doubles as their offensive line coach, and maybe their best recruiter, it would be another massive blow.

Like we need another FRAN BROWN out there.

• Haha
Reactions: NotInRHouse
His tomfoolery was asking for an extra credit assignment not changing grades. And I believe it was a Rutgers rule that he was not supposed to talk to professors directly. Not sure it would worry BC too much
In the SEC, the response to such "tomfoolery" by respective Universities is:

Ray Liotta Lol GIF

Oh No, we’re in trouble. Kyle Flood is known as a great recruiter, the best recruiter for Texas.

As for Flood, if he were to be hired as the head coach it would be his second crack at being a head coach. He was the head coach at Rutgers from 2012-2015 where he posted a 26-22 record, but was ultimately fired. If the Longhorns were to lose Flood who doubles as their offensive line coach, and maybe their best recruiter, it would be another massive blow.

Like we need another FRAN BROWN out there.
Pretty easy to be a great recruiter for Texas, as compared to Rutgers circa 2012-15, when the facilities sucked (the practice field had not been built yet) and Rutgers was pinching pennies on football after Greg bolted. Flood did not have the reputation of being a particularly hard worker, which did not help either. BC is not going to be an easy place to recruit to. He might be better off staying put where his job is relatively easy compared to being a HC at a school that will face an uphill climb, even in the ACC.

...'I'm writing this from my personal email account to circumvent request laws'...How in the world does a P5 HC actually type that out and send it???

Joe P.

Pretty easy to be a great recruiter for Texas, as compared to Rutgers circa 2012-15, when the facilities sucked (the practice field had not been built yet) and Rutgers was pinching pennies on football after Greg bolted. Flood did not have the reputation of being a particularly hard worker, which did not help either. BC is not going to be an easy place to recruit to. He might be better off staying put where his job is relatively easy compared to being a HC at a school that will face an uphill climb, even in the ACC.
In terms of Flood being the HC at BC helping or hurting Rutgers, well, let's just say I would be willing to donate money to a fund that would help make him BC's next HC. Who would Flood's coordinators/staff be? People are gnashing their teeth with an experienced HC in Schiano recruiting 'against' Fran Brown and his staff, but Flood is somehow going to put together The A-Team?

Joe P.

Last edited:
I hope everyone knows I was being sarcastic.

I hope everyone knows I was being sarcastic.
I figured you were; Flood just tends to be a polarizing figure on this board, with people either rushing to build him up or tear him down beyond what actually was. I just don't see him being tabbed as a P4 HC again unless/until he 'proves' himself at a job that's not being an assistant at an absolutely stacked blueblood program where the level of responsibility isn't even close to being a HC.

Joe P.

I figured you were; Flood just tends to be a polarizing figure on this board, with people either rushing to build him up or tear him down beyond what actually was. I just don't see him being tabbed as a P4 HC again unless/until he 'proves' himself at a job that's not being an assistant at an absolutely stacked blueblood program where the level of responsibility isn't even close to being a HC.

Joe P.
P4? Well, that does not include the ACC. ACC is living on borrowed time. It's P4-lite.

The line from one of the Dirty Harry movies applies to Flood: "A man has to know his limitations."

Hopefully, he learned from his past mistakes on how to do and how to not do things. Nobody will really know unless he is hired. But does university want to take that chance?

If I was advising Flood, I would tell him to stay put where he is at. Being a position coach and a glorified coordinator at a CFP team under Sarkisian seems like a good gig. Think he is being paid about $1.4M per year now, with no State income tax.

But, if he gets a 4 year deal at around $4 million/year, whether it works out our not, he is set for life and closer to home and back in the Northeast.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeRU0304
P4? Well, that does not include the ACC. ACC is living on borrowed time. It's P4-lite.
The Big 12 might be doing the same
What the B1G and SEC plan might just make those two conferences there own division and divide the better ACC and Big 12 programs between themselves , making every other conference mid majors

I think the ACC still has quality teams...but their overall conference 'structure' is basically now a mishmash of teams without a ton in common, including a team that just about literally bought their way into the league, with the conference appearing to become more and more destabilized by the day.

Joe P.

The Big 12 might be doing the same
What the B1G and SEC plan might just make those two conferences there own decision and divide the better ACC and Big 12 programs between themselves , making every other conference mid majors
You may be right, and I may be crazy (Billy Joel reference). . .
I would put the B12 ahead of the ACC in a game of survivor. B12 was aggressive in picking off the most attractive PAC12 schools after the 4 powers left for the B1G. They also made moves on BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston, 4 fairly solid teams.

The ACC took the PAC12 leftovers and now they have the FSU lawsuit looming over them. Should the ACC dissolve, your scenario could be correct.

I think this is a Ok to good move by him. Maybe waiting to get fired might have been more financially rewarding but if he does well as a DC with the Packers and his experience as a head coach in college, plus his other experience (NFL + OSU) could lead to a head coaching job in the NFL and potentially head coaching jobs in college if the NFL doesn't work out.

I think he is in his 40s so he will likely have many opportunities in his future if he plays things well.

The line from one of the Dirty Harry movies applies to Flood: "A man has to know his limitations."

Hopefully, he learned from his past mistakes on how to do and how to not do things. Nobody will really know unless he is hired. But does university want to take that chance?

If I was advising Flood, I would tell him to stay put where he is at. Being a position coach and a glorified coordinator at a CFP team under Sarkisian seems like a good gig. Think he is being paid about $1.4M per year now, with no State income tax.

But, if he gets a 4 year deal at around $4 million/year, whether it works out our not, he is set for life and closer to home and back in the Northeast.
In my opinion you are absolutely spot-on.

Joe P.

I think the ACC still has quality teams...but their overall conference 'structure' is basically now a mishmash of teams without a ton in common, including a team that just about literally bought their way into the league, with the conference appearing to become more and more destabilized by the day.

Joe P.

When you look at the Big 12 Conference, they had to take 4 teams from the AAC Conference.
Additionally, the 4 teams they got from the PAC were in low population states. Arizona Utah and Colorado (5 of their teams Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, BYU and Colorado) have a combined state population of just 16 million.
If you include other Big 12 teams Kansas and Kansas State (Kansas pop 3 million), Iowa State (Iowa pop 3 million) Oklahoma State (Oklahoma pop 4 million) and West Virginia (pop 2 million), ten teams from the Big 12 come from states with a combined state population of just 28 million.

The ACC got 2 PAC schools (Stanford, Cal) that brought in California (pop. 40 million) and specifically the San Francisco Oakland area is the #10 largest TV market in the US. Also, bringing in SMU brought Texas (pop 30 million) into the ACC and the Dallas-Forth Worth area is the #5 largest TV Market in the US.

This is the reason the Big 12 doesn't have their own TV network and probably never will.

The ACC with 18 Teams will remain a P4 Conference and if a FSU leaves they will easily be replaced with Washington State, Origon State (4 West Coast Teams like the B1G) or Big 12 teams.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
I have more knowledge on the situation because I went to Miami and you didn’t. I went to classes, used their facilities, and got to know many of their football players, which is why I’m better versed in their culture and value proposition.

When Miami is good, their fans will show up and dominate the attendance. But Yes, Miami has fairweather fans, but so does Boston College. Miami’s fans will be all in once they start winning. For now, their boosters and the school are all in which is good enough for now.

You didn’t go to either school, which is ironically why you’re posting out of your own fat ass.
But You visited on your daughters recruiting trip, so you think that makes you an expert. Fair enough.

You asserting that BC has a better football value proposition than Miami is eight jokes in one. Everyone else knows better, because the historical results say otherwise.

Al Golden turning around Temple was one of the greatest coaching jobs I’ve ever seen and not unlike what Greg Schiano did at Rutgers. He has the requisite skillset to be successful at Boston College and his resume is much stronger than any other candidate I’ve seen. 32-25 at Miami is good enough for Boston College. It also doesn’t hurt that he’s previously coached at Boston College, as an assistant, and been a head coach. And his previous BC recruiting results were strong. Lastly, he understands the BC culture, and knows what it takes to be successful there, so he’ll have the right strategy from go. Whereas a coach like Chris Ash was utterly clueless, like you, and it took him four years to understand that he had to recruit Florida, which is why he was a disaster.

Sure, BC might decide to go in another direction. Especially because the AD fired Al Golden at Miami. But if they choose Al Golden, I couldn’t fault the choice.
Rual,

I’m familiar with UM from afar since my wife is from Miami, fellow RU grads attended law school and grad school there and I’ve been on the campus. The campus beauty (Palm trees, cod-Ed’s, etc), tropical feel. and short distance to the beach is unlike any other campus in the country.

It’s a larger private school with a good portion of the student body not from Miami or not even from Florida. Prior to ‘80s football success, it was basically a Northeast rich kids school. Academics have greatly improved over the past 10 plus years. I agree that when Miami is winning at a high level there’s no bigger sports product in Metro Dade county [not even the Dolphins] but it’s been some time since and FL is dominated by UF and to some extent FSU graduates and resident fans.

Miami has no shortage of talent and commitment to football in particular but it’s off campus stadium experience does not scream college football. There’s no bad seat in Hard Rock stadium as far as watching the game but sitting in those seats in Sept for a Noon or even 3:30pm kickoff is pure hell on earth with unbearable high temps and humidity. Not a pleasant experience at all. The crowds are mostly sparse as well unless it’s a rival state game against UF or FSU.

GO RU

...'I'm writing this from my personal email account to circumvent request laws'...How in the world does a P5 HC actually type that out and send it???

Joe P.

How about when he said meet in Princeton and don't wear anything RU related

The guy was an absolute putz on and off the field. In fact I'd rather him at a B1G program over BC so he could help us by afflicting more damage. Look what he did to our recruiting and the constant blow outs to low level programs.

When you look at the Big 12 Conference, they had to take 4 teams from the AAC Conference.
Additionally, the 4 teams they got from the PAC were in low population states. Arizona Utah and Colorado (5 of their teams Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, BYU and Colorado) have a combined state population of just 16 million.
If you include other Big 12 teams Kansas and Kansas State (Kansas pop 3 million), Iowa State (Iowa pop 3 million) Oklahoma State (Oklahoma pop 4 million) and West Virginia (pop 2 million), ten teams from the Big 12 come from states with a combined state population of just 28 million.

The ACC got 2 PAC schools (Stanford, Cal) that brought in California (pop. 40 million) and specifically the San Francisco Oakland area is the #10 largest TV market in the US. Also, bringing in SMU brought Texas (pop 30 million) into the ACC and the Dallas-Forth Worth area is the #5 largest TV Market in the US.

This is the reason the Big 12 doesn't have their own TV network and probably never will.

The ACC with 18 Teams will remain a P4 Conference and if a FSU leaves they will easily be replaced with Washington State, Origon State (4 West Coast Teams like the B1G) or Big 12 teams.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

It strains credulity to think the ACC will be plucking teams from the other big conferences. UConn and Oregon and Washington State, sure. TBH SMU over those 3 makes absolutely no sense. They have a much smaller fanbase and make way less sense geographically. FSU may try to bolt but their strategy seems lacking. Nothing is likely changing in a big way in the near term, but I think B1G/SEC programs have the stronger stability argument.

Anyway for you guys Flood going to BC would be an absolute gift, you should hope for it lol.

It strains credulity to think the ACC will be plucking teams from the other big conferences. UConn and Oregon and Washington State, sure. TBH SMU over those 3 makes absolutely no sense. They have a much smaller fanbase and make way less sense geographically. FSU may try to bolt but their strategy seems lacking. Nothing is likely changing in a big way in the near term, but I think B1G/SEC programs have the stronger stability argument.

Anyway for you guys Flood going to BC would be an absolute gift, you should hope for it lol.
I've said before unless the ACC loses a ton of teams to the SEC/B10 (I don't see that many seats at the table for a ton of them) I can see schools like WVU/UCF moving towards the ACC. It fits better geographically for them.

The B12 has TCU already but if hypothetically they offered SMU, would SMU go back towards a conference that works better geographically. I'd think so.

The ACC/B12 are comparable, if anything being in the east coast time zone (mainly lol) might make the ACC slightly better. It's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other so if one conference can offer a better fit (geography) then I can see a team move from one to the other. The candidates I see as realistic options are WVU/UCF but that wouldn't be until the B12 GOR comes up for renewal which is around 2030. UConn would be one as well but they're not in the P4 so it's an easy add.

How about when he said meet in Princeton and don't wear anything RU related

The guy was an absolute putz on and off the field. In fact I'd rather him at a B1G program over BC so he could help us by afflicting more damage. Look what he did to our recruiting and the constant blow outs to low level programs.
I understand anyone that has no respect for Flood. But there are a lot of real back stories to some of these things. Flood made a couple of major mistakes- the email and going around Scott Walker...
With that said- the whole meeting was set up by Julie and the Dean. When the professor didn't play along- they threw Flood under the bus.
And why would he wear Rutgers stuff on the meeting?

On the field- he was actually pretty good.

And in the years since- he has now mentored under a couple of really good HC's...I am sure he picked up quite a few things.

As for "anyone" can recruit at Bama/Texas- well- then why didnt the coach who followed him to Bama or the coach prior to Texas win the award?

Interesting quote…

“He wants to go coach football again in a league that is all about football,” a source close to Hafley told ESPN. “College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore."
I think this is fair but his move now puts the entire staff on a limb. It’s not like Hafley was leaving to a position where he could offer spots to most of his staff guys like Schiano did after the Bucs came calling.

Most of the remaining BC coaches will have to look for employment elsewhere since a new head coach will bring his own people. Not to mention the recruit class that signed on thinking Hafley was going to be the head coach.

Hafley helped the university and himself and screwed the recruits and his staff.

GO RU

Reactions: Kbee3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT