ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jersey Shore economy affected by J-1 Visa

rutgersdave

Hall of Famer
Jan 23, 2004

From spiking oil and wheat prices to a potential shortage of neon gas needed for already-scarce semiconductors, the war in Ukraine is taking a toll on the global economy. And that includes the small beach towns that make up New Jersey’s shore region.

Popular destinations ranging from Seaside Heights, made famous by “The Jersey Shore,” to Wildwood rely on foreign workers during the crucial summer months to run the boardwalk stands and amusements that generate much of the shore area’s yearly revenue.

But a dearth of workers from Ukraine and Russia, who often come to the U.S. via the State Department’s J-1 visa summer work travel program, could keep businesses from opening during the summer season just as they attempt to recover from the pandemic.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

From spiking oil and wheat prices to a potential shortage of neon gas needed for already-scarce semiconductors, the war in Ukraine is taking a toll on the global economy. And that includes the small beach towns that make up New Jersey’s shore region.

Popular destinations ranging from Seaside Heights, made famous by “The Jersey Shore,” to Wildwood rely on foreign workers during the crucial summer months to run the boardwalk stands and amusements that generate much of the shore area’s yearly revenue.

But a dearth of workers from Ukraine and Russia, who often come to the U.S. via the State Department’s J-1 visa summer work travel program, could keep businesses from opening during the summer season just as they attempt to recover from the pandemic.
There was a noticeable impact on the past 2 summers.....due to pandemic restrictions. Hopefully this year will be closer to normal.

Don’t think too many Russian kids will be working at the Jersey shore venues. Believe wholeheartedly Ukrainians fleeing from the megalomaniac Putin should be allowed into the USA without going through the southern border. That is strictly nonsense and reeks of politics.

Why don't local kids want summer jobs?
Poor kids from the inner cities can’t get a ride and the middle class kids are on vacation.

Actually, there a visible difference in minorities working at grocery stores, fast foods and casual restaurants. I guess the whites kids are all involved in sports or other after school activities.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
Poor kids from the inner cities can’t get a ride and the middle class kids are on vacation.

Actually, there a visible difference in minorities working at grocery stores, fast foods and casual restaurants. I guess the whites kids are all involved in sports or other after school activities.
That may very well be true. Public transportation is not very good down here in Monmouth County. For instance, the bus that runs from Asbury park to the Seaview Square, Mall where target is, runs once every two hours.

Reactions: Vlife
They are practicing to be full fledged adult Democrats.

Good point. Isn’t it astounding how the eduction levels for the two parties have shifted over the past decades? Thirty years ago would have thought that Democrats would be so much better educated than Republicans in 2022?

Good point. Isn’t it astounding how the eduction levels for the two parties have shifted over the past decades? Thirty years ago would have thought that Democrats would be so much better educated than Republicans in 2022?

Did you even read the article? The more educated a person is, the more likely they are voting Democrat.

Democrats lead by 22 points (57%-35%) in leaned party identification among adults with post-graduate degrees. The Democrats’ edge is narrower among those with college degrees or some post-graduate experience (49%-42%), and those with less education (47%-39%). Across all educational categories, women are more likely than men to affiliate with the Democratic Party or lean Democratic. The Democrats’ advantage is 35 points (64%-29%) among women with post-graduate degrees, but only eight points (50%-42%) among post-grad men.

Did you even read the article? The more educated a person is, the more likely they are voting Democrat.

Democrats lead by 22 points (57%-35%) in leaned party identification among adults with post-graduate degrees. The Democrats’ edge is narrower among those with college degrees or some post-graduate experience (49%-42%), and those with less education (47%-39%). Across all educational categories, women are more likely than men to affiliate with the Democratic Party or lean Democratic. The Democrats’ advantage is 35 points (64%-29%) among women with post-graduate degrees, but only eight points (50%-42%) among post-grad men.
Read my post again

It also indicates something of a disconnect. When you add independent as opposed to leans, the largest increase is independant voters. But the influence and hardening of both bases means the candidates coming out of the primary system do not reflect that reality.

Reactions: robcac26
Why don't local kids want summer jobs?
It cheaper for the businesses to hire these kids. They are lucky if they make $2-3 an hour. They sell them on getting the American experience. They will buy up cheap apartments and take the rent directly out of their paycheck. A person may have $200 a week taken out of their paycheck to share a bedroom with 3 other people. The rent is much higher than going rate but they don’t know any better. They promise them a few field trips to see America. In the end they work a ton of hours and make very little.

Reactions: redking and RC1978
That may very well be true. Public transportation is not very good down here in Monmouth County. For instance, the bus that runs from Asbury park to the Seaview Square, Mall where target is, runs once every two hours.
NJ Transit Train to AC is an abomination and a disgrace to those who depends on public transportation to AC. the buses are more dependable but cost twice as much. At least the AC train station is not that bad compared to the toilet in Newark, the armpit in Trenton, and The Walking Dead in Camden.

Uber/Lyft are super expensive because they’re popular shore towns and AC, no matter how it’s looked at on this board.

Is that it very good or about right in line with demand? The federal Secretary of Transportation has suggested we all should be taking busses more frequently in response to the rise in gas prices. Will look for him and his entitled and privileged McKinsey alums at the bus stop.

Think you mean better indoctrinated instead of better educated.

Just goes to show that more education does not equate to more common sense.

Think you mean better indoctrinated instead of better educated.

I know that is a popular talking point but I never experienced or witnessed it while getting my degrees at RU. Nor did my kids at their colleges.

Granted, the HS LLD social studies class that I’m an aide for is reading “Maus,” which has recently been banned in some places. But I hardly think it’s indoctrinating to teach about The Holocaust .

Last edited:
Don’t recall these boardwalk stands depending on foreign laborers back in the day. Teenagers don’t wanna work these days ?

It cheaper for the businesses to hire these kids. They are lucky if they make $2-3 an hour. They sell them on getting the American experience. They will buy up cheap apartments and take the rent directly out of their paycheck. A person may have $200 a week taken out of their paycheck to share a bedroom with 3 other people. The rent is much higher than going rate but they don’t know any better. They promise them a few field trips to see America. In the end they work a ton of hours and make very little.

Do they really only make $2-$3/hour? Is that after rent is taken out?

Do they really only make $2-$3/hour? Is that after rent is taken out?
YES! This has been the biggest scam for years at the Jersey Shore. You have un-scrupulous recruiters that sell these kids on all the great "experience" they will have. They get paid minimum wage, the recruiter takes out their fee, the boarding fee, and a lot of these kids have to eat at the place they work because that gets taken out also. They also take "taxes" out that these kids have no idea what and how much the taxes should be. On top of that, they work ridiculous hours.

This is all done with the known families that run the board walks. I will look for the investigative news articles from a few years ago that reported on this.

YES! This has been the biggest scam for years at the Jersey Shore. You have un-scrupulous recruiters that sell these kids on all the great "experience" they will have. They get paid minimum wage, the recruiter takes out their fee, the boarding fee, and a lot of these kids have to eat at the place they work because that gets taken out also. They also take "taxes" out that these kids have no idea what and how much the taxes should be. On top of that, they work ridiculous hours.

This is all done with the known families that run the board walks. I will look for the investigative news articles from a few years ago that reported on this.

Don't look for them in the SL unless one of the guilty employers is a Rutgers athletic letter winner, preferably football.

Reactions: redking and RC1978
I'm constantly reminded how this board is filled with elderly super conservative men; way out of step with most New Jerseyans and even fewer Rutgers alum.
Way out of step with whom? You got a poll to support that? I got news for you. Most people identify as independents due to the increasing idiocy of the extremes on both sides and the narratives forced by their "news" (actually narrative) channels.

Last edited:
Way out of step with whom? You got a poll to support that? I got news for you. Most people identify as independents due to the increasing idiocy of the extremes on both sides and the narratives force by their "news" (actually narrative) channels.

He is a baked potato from California. Just ignore him.

I hired someone once who was from some Eastern European county and they told me they worked the jet star one summer a long time ago. So it’s been going on for a long time. I think it’s because they are cheaper than local kids. I’m sure it’s also hard to find consistent local people as well? Maybe in the 80s when I was a kid and the early 90s it was local talent. Now it’s all foreigners.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT