ADVERTISEMENT

OT:JP O'Reilly's corned beef on sale at Shoprite $1.99 (with coupon)

RUaMoose

Heisman Winner
Oct 31, 2004
Lebanon, TN
Got me a 3 pounder today. Going to pair with some Punta Final 2012 Reserva Argentine Malbec this weekend.

What's the best way to cook corned beef ? I'm planning on using the crock pot and adding some cabbage and peppercorn but I'm open to suggestions.

Got it yesterday.

Friend whose dad is off the boat from Scotland makes it with mustard sauce in the oven after boiling it. Found a few recipes online.

$2.99 here with Price club card. Where do you get the super coupon for $1.99? I use the Jersey City shop rite, did not see the coupon in the ecoupon section. Are some shoprites not offering the deal?

I
I
V
B_1014404_c162b9048d9b.jpg

Originally posted by RU_DIO:
Got it yesterday.

Friend whose dad is off the boat from Scotland makes it with mustard sauce in the oven after boiling it. Found a few recipes online.
That's odd. Irish immigrants adopted corned beef & cabbage from their Jewish neighbors in the slums of New York in the early 1900s. Someone off the boat would probably wonder why they don't eat pork & potatoes on St Patricks Day.

My ShopRite flier has a coupon that is for 3/15-3/17 for $1.99. I don't think that I have ever had corned beef brisket.

Originally posted by JPhoboken:

$2.99 here with Price club card. Where do you get the super coupon for $1.99? I use the Jersey City shop rite, did not see the coupon in the ecoupon section. Are some shoprites not offering the deal?

I
I
V
ec

JP in the circular you get in the mail the coupon is there....Wed-Sat only for this week.....but also next week Sunday through Tuesday

I will say I did have a hard time getting to them though..the hags at the Hillsborough Shop Rite wouldn't budge at all taking their time to inspect every piece of meat up and down

Originally posted by RUaMoose:
Got me a 3 pounder today. Going to pair with some Punta Final 2012 Reserva Argentine Malbec this weekend.

What's the best way to cook corned beef ? I'm planning on using the crock pot and adding some cabbage and peppercorn but I'm open to suggestions.
I made mine in a slow cooker the last few years. Comes out GREAT.

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:
Do they have London Broil on sale too?
No, but if you spend $400 between 2/22 and 4/4 then you can get a free shank half Cook's smoked ham or Cool's spiral sliced ham for .99/lbs, or Cook's butt half smoked ham for .10/lbs or you can choose another favorite (see link).

Holiday Dinner

JP, on the paper flier that comes in the mail, the coupon says void if reproduced. So you have to get the paper circular. A printed copy of the coupon won't be honored.

the slow cooker is the way to go. I throw in the corned beef, the cabbage and the potatoes a bit later. boom.

since Mr. Screw does not partake in corned beef I'll be cooking mine overnight in the slow cooker and bringing it into work for my staff.

Originally posted by Extra Point:

JP, on the paper flier that comes in the mail, the coupon says void if reproduced. So you have to get the paper circular. A printed copy of the coupon won't be honored.
Don't they always keep extra copies of the flyer by the entrance?

Save your money elsewhere and buy the Nathan's brand. Fattier (marbling) and tastier.
This post was edited on 3/12 9:25 PM by rurichdog

Originally posted by NoLondonBroil:

Originally posted by Extra Point:

Don't they always keep extra copies of the flyer by the entrance?
Those do not have the Wakefern In Circ Coupons. Just the one's mailed or inserted with the Best Food Day paper drop (Thurs for Wakefern Circ.)

PS..put a 12z Bottle of your favorite Ale on the crock pot when you slow boil (in place of water)
This post was edited on 3/12 9:57 PM by 1984

Originally posted by bac2therac:

I
I
V
ec

JP in the circular you get in the mail the coupon is there....Wed-Sat only for this week.....but also next week Sunday through Tuesday

I will say I did have a hard time getting to them though..the hags at the Hillsborough Shop Rite wouldn't budge at all taking their time to inspect every piece of meat up and down
Could not have been milfs, they prefer the Wegman's on Rt 202

Originally posted by Ready to Rumble:
My parents would always boil it but personally I prefer baking it.
Try boiling it in beer rather than water. Seriously.

You guys can buy the cheap stuff at Shoprite, I'll stick with the best.

Barth's Market in New Providence has out of this world corned beef. You can buy the piece vacuum packed in their special brine and cook at home or order it cooked and sliced.

Being tax season we work every Saturday at my office. Tomorrow I carry on my tradition of bringing in St Patty's day lunch. 15 lbs of Barth's corned beef cooked and sliced , cabbage, potatoes and carrots. All in trays which we heat up with sterno. out of this world. Now I just need someone to bring in some beer and were all set.

everyone don't forget to get some delicious Katy O Reilly Irish Soda Bread for only $3.29...which is a bump in price from previous years

Since we're doing a review of this week's sale items I mind as well put in a word for a couple of my brands.

Don't forget that after you get done eating your favorite Corned Beef you'll need to clean your teeth and freshen your breath. Trident, Stride, and Dentyne gum singles (found "over the belt") on the front end are all going on sale for $1.oo a pack starting Sunday(slightly more for Trident Layers)
cool0010.r191677.gif

as heard on the Radio..."don't forget your Phone, Keys, and Trident Gum"

Originally posted by MrsScrew:
Originally posted by zealott:
Never had to cook corned beef...for me this works fine. Am I missing something?

ec
oh, God, I hope this is a joke.
sick0005.r191677.gif
Nope, no joke. I have it for breakfast (with scrambled eggs) or brunch (with say chillaquiles). Works for my palate.

I see in the Shoprite circular the O'Reilleys corned beef brisket @ $1.99/lb. Is this of good quality? There are several other brands advertised there at prices up to $6/lb. And what is the difference between corned beef and corned beef brisket?

Originally posted by bac2therac:

everyone don't forget to get some delicious Katy O Reilly Irish Soda Bread for only $3.29...which is a bump in price from previous years
If it's not homemade, what's the point? LOL

My wife, Mom and my late Grandmother (Father's mother) from Ballyhaunis all make great Soda Bread.

And +1 on the recommendation for Nathan's corned beef. It's not bad. Not bad at all.

Originally posted by ScarletEd:

I see in the Shoprite circular the O'Reilleys corned beef brisket @ $1.99/lb. Is this of good quality? There are several other brands advertised there at prices up to $6/lb. And what is the difference between corned beef and corned beef brisket?
Brisket is a cut of beef, from the chest plate of the cow. It can be used to make lots of different things.

Corned beef is beef that has been salted and cured (typically with brine and pink pickling salt). It is most commonly done with brisket, however, you can use the technique on other cuts (like round). You can find it as cheap deli meat (pastrami round, for example).

Made 6 lbs for work the other day. Guiness, Malt Vinegar, Irish Wiskey, Peppercorns, mustard Seed, cloves and other spices in a slow cooker for 6 hours on low. Remember to carve against the grain.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by BigLou:

You guys can buy the cheap stuff at Shoprite, I'll stick with the best.

Barth's Market in New Providence has out of this world corned beef. You can buy the piece vacuum packed in their special brine and cook at home or order it cooked and sliced.

Being tax season we work every Saturday at my office. Tomorrow I carry on my tradition of bringing in St Patty's day lunch. 15 lbs of Barth's corned beef cooked and sliced , cabbage, potatoes and carrots. All in trays which we heat up with sterno. out of this world. Now I just need someone to bring in some beer and were all set.
I'll put that up against a chunk from Fairway. They brine and cure it themselves, and when you go to buy a piece, the butcher will grab one out of the vat and cut whatever you want.

If you want 4 pounds from the flat, you can have that. If you want 4 pounds in the middle with two pounds of flat and two pounds of flat and point, you can have that.

I've talked about their sausage before - which is less salty, more coarsely ground, and tastes much more like good roast pork than salty bologna. Their corned beef is similar - more tasty, less salty.

I got my coupons...but it will require a visit to ShopRite tomorrow and again on either Sunday or Monday. There is one coupon for each week.

I have my Irish born mother's recipe for Soda Bread so no need go anywhere else for that.

Got it going last night in the crock pot with some beer, water, onion and pepper. Put it on the "warm" setting cause I want to cook it real slow. Turned it up to "Low" this morning. Going to add the cabbage later. Going with mashed potatoes over the traditional roasted red mainly because the kids won't eat the latter. Have to pick up some Nathan's spicy mustard and bakery fresh rye bread

This post was edited on 3/14 8:00 AM by RUaMoose

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT