ADVERTISEMENT

OT: June 4, 1989

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
If the mods want to move this to CE I'll understand.
Today is the 33 rd anniversary of the massacre of pro democracy protestors at Tiananmen Square. Please take a moment to remember these brave people who stood up for freedom. To this day no one is sure how many people were killed.
Also remember the American politicians and corporations who continue to deal with this totalitarian regime as if nothing ever happened. I'm sure the usual suspects will pop up and blame it on liberal policies or Trump or whoever your favorite whipping boy might be depending on your beliefs. Try to put this aside for a few moments as you remember these incredibly courageous people.

Last edited:
I had a visiting professor for a summer session comparative lit class who was there. She didn’t say that much in class but I spoke to her about it privately after the last class. You could tell how courageous she was, obviously she could never go back.

Some factories might leave China, but the big picture shows it doesn't matter much
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/17/some-factories-might-leave-china-but-big-picture-it-doesnt-matter.html?__source=iosappshare|com.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard

China trade export to the US grew 29% from 676 billion in 2021 from 524 billion in 2020.

Companies and analysts have discussed moving factories out of China for years, especially since labor costs have climbed and U.S.-China trade tensions worsened.

The pandemic has reignited those conversations. Foreign businesses talk about how executives can easily travel to Southeast Asia factories, but not China. Some point to surging exports from Vietnam as an indicator that supply chains are leaving China.

Supply chain diversification is quite tricky because people always talk about it, and boardrooms love to discuss it, but often at the end of the day people find it’s difficult to implement,” said Nick Marro, global trade leader at The Economist Intelligence Unit.

When businesses had those discussions in 2020, it turned out that “China was able to remain open, while Malaysia, Vietnam were going offline,” Marro said. “Really, the critical factor right now is how China plans on maintaining these [Covid] controls as the rest of the world opens up.”

China’s so-called zero-Covid strategy of swift lockdowns helped the country quickly return to growth in 2020. However, implementation of those measures has since tightened, especially this year as China faces a resurgence of Covid in Shanghai and other parts of the country.

‘Significant’ interest in Vietnam​

By the numbers, China’s exports rose by 3.9% in April from a year earlier, the slowest pace since a 0.18% increase in June 2020, according to official data accessed through Wind Information.
Vietnam in contrast saw exports jump by 30.4% in April from a year ago, following a nearly 19.1% year-on-year increase in March, Wind showed.
The level of manufacturing interest in Vietnam is “very significant,” Vishrut Rana, Singapore-based economist at S&P Global Ratings, said in a phone interview. “Vietnam has emerged as a very key supply chain node for consumer electronics.”
China still remains at the very center of the electronics network in APAC.
Vishrut Rana
ECONOMIST, S&P GLOBAL RATINGS
But Vietnam’s exports totaled $33.26 billion in April, or about one-eighth of China’s $273.62 billion in global exports that month, according to Wind.

Almost all US companies are doing business in China, it can’t be avoided. US companies might be moving slowly out of China.

Last edited:
Well said.

Shame on the NBA too.
China-Hong-Kong-Xi-Jinping-Winnie-the-Pooh-Lebron-bent-over.png

If the mods want to move this to CE I'll understand.
Today is the 33 rd anniversary of the massacre of pro democracy protestors at Tiananmen Square. Please take a moment to remember these brave people who stood up for freedom. To this day no one is sure how many people were killed.
Also remember the American politicians and corporations who continue to deal with this totalitarian regime as if nothing ever happened. I'm sure the usual suspects will pop up and blame it on liberal policies or Trump or whoever your favorite whipping boy might be depending on your beliefs. Try to put this aside for a few moments as you remember these incredibly courageous people.

I'll never forget "Tank Man".

Reactions: goru1869
We should never, never, never have given them most favored nation trading status or allowed them to join the WTO.
The USA should have insisted that Taiwan remain a member of the UN ,even though Commie China was added .

Tiananmen Square will always remain a symbol of the fight for freedom and how it will be violently denied by a government based on Authoritarianism

Last edited:
The USA should have insisted that Taiwan remain a member of the UN ,even though Commie China was added .

Tiananmen Square will always remain a symbol of the fight for freedom and how it will be violently denied by a government based on Authoritarianism
Greed rules the day. When future generations look back on US history, Nixon's opening of China could very well viewed as the start of the great decline.

That's the price of trying to do business with Red China.
What the USA must make sure of is: there isn't a need for the people of Taiwan
to ever have to have their own Tiananmen Square style protest because their country was made part of the PRC.

Read The 100 year Marathon and 2034. China is our enemy. Has been for the last 60 plus years. Slowly we are waking up to that reality

Not fast enough in my book.

Obviously. It was Nixon who started us down this road.

If you want to be oversimplistuc, yes. But tell me how ping pong diplomacy lead to accepting the theft of technology and industrial secrets? The scrapping of the Hong Kong agreement 20 years early, the concentration camps of the last 6-7 years?

Obviously. It was Nixon who started us down this road.

Cold War move
Reaching out to China by Nixon and Kissinger was (at that time) a way to drive a wedge between Russia and China. It wasn't a bad move at the time

Then when T'Square happened Bush Sr (who I voted for) dropped the ball and sided with murderous CCP instead of tank man and his fellows.

Then Wall St and the uniparty rushed-in to use the slave labor (umm "free trade")
All the wealth we see over there now used to be in US
They didn't do anything brilliant - just let the businesses in to train peopl/managers and then take everything over (ripping off included).
Apple showed them how to build phones and now there new Chinese brands every year (many owned by same company).
Now US should - as Kissinger said - be playing Russia off China since Russia wanted to be closer to Europe and not China
Western pols enjoyed their gift in Ukraine too much to let that happen

If you want to be oversimplistuc, yes. But tell me how ping pong diplomacy lead to accepting the theft of technology and industrial secrets? The scrapping of the Hong Kong agreement 20 years early, the concentration camps of the last 6-7 years?
Engaging a failing communist state that was already on the outs with the Soviets did absolutely nothing for the united states. The opening of the Chinese to foreign investment allowed future evils to manifest. It was an inflection point. That was my point.

Reactions: colbert17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT