ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just had an earthquake

No, but they have a ground stop at all area airports, which seems reasonable to me. Also, why go political with this? Will just bring out the worst in this board.

That kinda' bummed me out as well...
Please calm down. It's a Jersey thing with brining the roads and closing the State offices, no matter who is in charge.

Sheesh, sorry for the attempt at a little levity.

The NY Times and CNN initially blamed it on Israel, but have since issued retractions.
Tin foil hatters can also choose from: A) aftershocks from the Chinese underground lab leak that caused the Taiwan quake; B) DEI programs; c) the Phillies revelaing their new blue/gold City Connect uniforms this morning.

Here's more - sounds like the Hopewell Fault is part of the larger Ramapo Fault system in the region. Here's a link and a map from the link. Supposedly the largest NJ-centered quake was 5.3 in 1783 in Sussex County (the blue dot). Also, remember the Richter Scale is logarithmic, i.e., a 5.0 is ten times more powerful than a 4.0 and a 6.0 is 100 times more powerful than a 4.0.

https://njmonthly.com/articles/jersey-living/living-on-the-fault-line/

527181177.jpg
Thanks. Great stuff. This would suggest that we just had one of the worst in NJ History. Very Interesting. (my wife told me she just heard that there had been a smaller like 2.2 in Reading about 3 weeks ago).

Reactions: RU848789
Has the Governor declared a state of emergency and closed all State offices yet?

Have they started brining the roads yet?
“Our region just experienced an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 4.7, with an epicenter near Readington in Hunterdon County. We have activated our State Emergency Operations Center. Please do not call 911 unless you have an actual emergency,” Gov. Phil Murphy said on social media.

Drama / protagonist… a nuclear bomb? …if you ever are witness to that type of horror ( nuclear bomb) close up you’ll surely know the difference… better to leave your residence then hope the walls and ceiling don’t collapse and bury you and the family.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
After witnessing the 2011 one knew exactly what this was.

my first quake was in LA, 30 stories up and it was a 6.0 centered in inland empire so close. great way to pop one's cherry
We were on our honeymoon sitting at the far end of level 2 of Pier 39 getting ready to watch the series game. We got knocked out of our chairs and saw the section of the Bay Bridge that had collapsed. Had to walk completely across San Fran (up and over) to get back to our hotel and dragged my new bride over to the Major fires near the Presidio. We spend 3 nights sleeping in the Hotel Lobby before finally getting our rental to head down the coast.

This wasn't that but where I live here in Hunterdon while this one wasn't that by intensity it certainly lasted and built up over a longer period of time. It brought back some serious memories. For NJ people it was a good one.

Oh stop- we get it- it was minor compared to many that are around the world but pretty intense for this part of the country.

It's funny- I was thinking more internal. Maybe something like the hotwater heater or a gas line until I saw the water behind me rippling like crazy
That had to be a really weird thing to see. I was glad I was at work so others around me felt it. I would've thought I was going nuts.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Thanks. Great stuff. This would suggest that we just had one of the worst in NJ History. Very Interesting. (my wife told me she just heard that there had been a smaller like 2.2 in Reading about 3 weeks ago).
There are earthquakes happening everyday in this region… some are unnoticeable. Truth is we are living in perhaps one of the most conducive areas / regions that have potential for shelf slippage at anytime.

Drama / protagonist… a nuclear bomb? …if you ever are witness to that type of horror ( nuclear bomb) close up you’ll surely know the difference… better to leave your residence then hope the walls and ceiling don’t collapse and bury you and the family.
I see you and the main troll are patrolling the thread. Thank god. I said for a "split second" as crazy things run through one's head in that situation. Was out of the house about 10 seconds after the shaking stopped. And after a minute or two, it was obvious this wasn't anything like a major quake, so not worrying any more about this, although the precautions being taken (checking tunnels/bridges and the airport ground stops, which were just lifted) make sense.

I live near a small airport. Yesterday, and most of the night there was almost non stop air traffic. Thought it was some kind of military operation.
Never heard anything like it. So, what did I do? Turn tv on, nope. Turned computer on, came to this board, and voila a thread was already started. Crazy, we all are.

I see you and the main troll are patrolling the thread. Thank god. I said for a "split second" as crazy things run through one's head in that situation. Was out of the house about 10 seconds after the shaking stopped. And after a minute or two, it was obvious this wasn't anything like a major quake, so not worrying any more about this, although the precautions being taken (checking tunnels/bridges and the airport ground stops, which were just lifted) make sense.
You can’t blame people for reacting to your post on this. The great and wonderful Oz of the Rutgers board. A nuclear. bomb? No… a strong / moderate earthquake? Yes… stick to the geological and atmospheric predictions my good man. At least we all appreciate your dedication. My two Harley motorcycles in the garage were rocking so … yes Numbers it was a stronger than a normal rumbling..Glad you and all others are safe .

Reactions: newell138
Please calm down. It's a Jersey thing with brining the roads and closing the State offices, no matter who is in charge.

Sheesh, sorry for the attempt at a little levity.
Just for the record, I thought your comments were funny. Since my response was to a response that was about your response, I can see why you thought otherwise.

But mostly, the it appeared the thread was beginning to mirror the real world, and go down the same route that so many threads go. The route where people increasingly make less than useful, less than nuanced, less than clever and less than insightful political comments about everything under the sun that differs from what they believe. I find it tiresome. I'm sure I'll be attacked for saying so, but whatever...

not intense at all and by every educated discernible view on them, it was a small 'rumble' non event. No need for the hysterics

we just don't get them often enough for people to be rational with them. Just look at numbers post thinking tornado (no wind today or cross current conditions) or a nuke lol

one has to laugh
Just stop. You're the only one who didn't think it was a pretty big deal , since you were once in a bigger one - congratulations. 99% of the board, who has never felt an earthquake of that magnitude, clearly were pretty wowed by it (way more than a "small rumble" - whole houses were shaking for 20-30 seconds) and for an instant, I'm sure people had all kinds of crazy thoughts of what it might be (as many have stated) before realizing it was an earthquake. Fortunately, it looks like there was no damage, so I assume life will go back to normal. And keep in mind that major earthquakes have struck areas that don't usually get them, including the famous New Madrid, MO quakes of 1811-1812, which were 7.5-8.0 (and maybe higher) and if something like that happened today in an area not prepared for them, it would be an epic catastrophe.

https://www.britannica.com/event/New-Madrid-earthquakes-of-1811-1812

Just for the record, I thought your comments were funny. Since my response was to a response that was about your response, I can see why you thought otherwise.

But mostly, the it appeared the thread was beginning to mirror the real world, and go down the same route that so many threads go. The route where people increasingly make less than useful, less than nuanced, less than clever and less than insightful political comments about everything under the sun that differs from what they believe. I find it tiresome. I'm sure I'll be attacked for saying so, but whatever...
I also thought it was funny, but I know this board and the thread is already going the usual way...

Hearing it might be upgraded to a 5.5...?
Let’s call it the most devastating earthquake ever to strike the northeast during our lifetimes. In areas which encompass the Ring Of Fire ( the entire west sits in the largest Caldera known to man) Yellowstone. When that erupts someday we can all begin to pray that maybe there is a higher power ?

But actually factual about what occurred… you left that out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT