ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just had an earthquake

This never gets old...

12372219.jpeg
Now that is funny😜

But actually factual about what occurred… you left that out.
Didn’t see any political things In the postings… Wait until the Bird Flu is running rampant . Europe has already warned of the transmission from animal to human. People will be posting all types of wild things.

8 miles south of the epicenter when it hit and was in the middle of a job interview.

Was certainly interesting when things starting falling off my bookshelves and I ran downstairs to check on my wife and daughter

Just stop. You're the only one who didn't think it was a pretty big deal , since you were once in a bigger one - congratulations. 99% of the board, who has never felt an earthquake of that magnitude, clearly were pretty wowed by it (way more than a "small rumble" - whole houses were shaking for 20-30 seconds) and for an instant, I'm sure people had all kinds of crazy thoughts of what it might be (as many have stated) before realizing it was an earthquake. Fortunately, it looks like there was no damage, so I assume life will go back to normal. And keep in mind that major earthquakes have struck areas that don't usually get them, including the famous New Madrid, MO quakes of 1811-1812, which were 7.5-8.0 (and maybe higher) and if something like that happened today in an area not prepared for them, it would be an epic catastrophe.

https://www.britannica.com/event/New-Madrid-earthquakes-of-1811-1812
No … you and others have experienced earthquakes before . The point is though it was larger than most it was not anywhere near a nuclear explosion . Even you the Great and Wondrous Oz knows that well. Stop making it out to be more than what it was. An unusual occurrence. You attempt to deflect because you know what you said was silly. You do realize what this area looked like millions of years ago. There are mountains higher than the Andes sitting underneath our east coast. In fact at one time the South Mountain Reservation was perhaps the highest in the world. It was an UNUSUAL event. As long as life and properties were preserved then realize how silly your claim was. You must be a joy at parties.

Let’s call it the most devastating earthquake ever to strike the northeast during our lifetimes. In areas which encompass the Ring Of Fire ( the entire west sits in the largest Caldera known to man) Yellowstone. When that erupts someday we can all begin to pray that maybe there is a higher power ?

When that erupts the Smithsonian Channel will be telling everyone: "We told you so!" They love those "shocking" shows about potential calamities.

Indian Point was built on Ramapo Fault and was designed to handle a 4.5 well

Just stop. You're the only one who didn't think it was a pretty big deal , since you were once in a bigger one - congratulations. 99% of the board, who has never felt an earthquake of that magnitude, clearly were pretty wowed by it (way more than a "small rumble" - whole houses were shaking for 20-30 seconds) and for an instant, I'm sure people had all kinds of crazy thoughts of what it might be (as many have stated) before realizing it was an earthquake. Fortunately, it looks like there was no damage, so I assume life will go back to normal. And keep in mind that major earthquakes have struck areas that don't usually get them, including the famous New Madrid, MO quakes of 1811-1812, which were 7.5-8.0 (and maybe higher) and if something like that happened today in an area not prepared for them, it would be an epic catastrophe.

https://www.britannica.com/event/New-Madrid-earthquakes-of-1811-1812
no you stop with hysterics
it wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination
I'd like to say I'd expect more from you but clearly your experience with earthquakes makes you initially think a nuke

you're an embarrassment

Reactions: bac2therac
When that erupts the Smithsonian Channel will be telling everyone: "We told you so!" They love those "shocking" shows about potential calamities.
If you speak to those seismologists in and around Yellowstone we would all realize the quake experienced today potentially is a precursor to larger in the future. We live on a planet with a molten hot core center which can go boom at anytime.Scary for sure but also realize it is a part of this world we live in.

I live near a small airport. Yesterday, and most of the night there was almost non stop air traffic. Thought it was some kind of military operation.
Never heard anything like it. So, what did I do? Turn tv on, nope. Turned computer on, came to this board, and voila a thread was already started. Crazy, we all are.
I knew this board wouldn't disappoint!

for you all you nannies please understand that the stress on your typical home in 4.7 quake is far less than 30-40mph winds

some of you are embarrassing yourselves

'thought it was a nuke' lololol

Reactions: newell138
8 miles south of the epicenter when it hit and was in the middle of a job interview.

Was certainly interesting when things starting falling off my bookshelves and I ran downstairs to check on my wife and daughter
Were you doing the interview or being interviewed? If doing the interview, this is a great test to see how candidates respond under pressure. 😃

Reactions: RU205 and dconifer
please understand that the stress on your typical home in 4.7 quake is far less than 30-40mph winds
In keeping with your interesting comment -- it felt, in my Atlantic City attic office, very similar to what it feels like when a large truck rumbles by on nearby Ventnor Avenue, or when the wind is blowing big. Maybe a little more up-and-down sensation in my chair, though...

Reactions: newell138
Didn’t see any political things In the postings… Wait until the Bird Flu is running rampant . Europe has already warned of the transmission from animal to human. People will be posting all types of wild things.
DJ has probably purged some posts. And with regard to avian flu, fortunately, it's only transmitted via direct contact, i.e., it's not a respiratory-airborne virus, like influenza/COVID/measles etc. If the virus somehow evolved into an airborne one (very unlikely, as the avian virus is H5N1, while "regular" influenza is H1N1 - very different structures) and it retained it's ~50% mortality rate in humans, it would likely become the worst pandemic in human history. But as of now, transmission to humans remains rare. However, the risk to livestock is significant, as they're often kept in close contact with each other raising the risk of transmission.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...1884/bird-flu-h5n1-cattle-eggs-humans-vaccine

• Haha
Reactions: Caliknight

Wow, was wondering if anyone had stuff falling off shelves - we didn't, but you're closer to the epicenter. Need someone from Whitehouse or Tewksbury at the epicenter to weigh in...

Old news buddy… avian flu ‘s been around for a long long time… don’t eat the chicken .

no you stop with hysterics
it wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination
I'd like to say I'd expect more from you but clearly your experience with earthquakes makes you initially think a nuke

you're an embarrassment
Nothing hysterical in my posts. Been simply providing data on the quake and history of quakes. An off-the-cuff comment on what I might have thought for an instant is irrelevant - look at the thread - people initially thought it was all kinds of things, including weather, airplanes, boilers exploding, whatever. Looking at the data, a 4.8 earthquake (2nd biggest in NJ history) is not trivial and everyone who felt the significant shaking was at least a little bit worried for a bit, especially since this was a very shallow quake which is felt more than deeper quakes, which are more common on the west coast, as per below. As the Princeton seismologist, below, said, “This shaking was violent, strong and long.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...attles-buildings-nerves-east-coast-rcna146578

This morning's earthquake occurred on a shallow fault system in New Jersey and shook for about 35 seconds, a Princeton seismologist said.
“The shallower or the closer it is, the more we feel it as humans,” said Frederik J. Simons, a professor of geosciences at Princeton University.
The quake originated at a depth of less than 3 miles, according to USGS.
Earthquakes on the East Coast can be felt at a great distance and can cause more pronounced shaking in comparison to those on the West Coast because rocks in the region are often older, harder and more dense.
“These are competent rocks that transmit energy well,” Simons said.
The earthquake ruptured on the Ramapo fault system, he said. The system is relatively old and considered mostly tectonically inactive. It's at a boundary where the continental and oceanic tectonic plates meet and are stuck together. The plates grind against one another slowly and accumulate stress until something slips.
“There are cracks in it and now and then a little motion accumulates, the stress keeps growing, at very slow rates,” Simons said. “It’s like an old house creaking and groaning.”
He said this was one of the largest earthquakes in New Jersey in recent history. The last notable one was a magnitude-3.1 temblor in Freehold Township in September 2020.
“I’m on campus at Princeton University for the biggest one I’ve felt in a lifetime,” he said. “This shaking was violent, strong and long.”

I was driving to visit my mom at her nursing home and I didn't feel a thing in the car. Probably figured it was the usual New Jersey pot hole filled roads. When I got to the nursing home, everyone was talking about it.

If you speak to those seismologists in and around Yellowstone we would all realize the quake experienced today potentially is a precursor to larger in the future. We live on a planet with a molten hot core center which can go boom at anytime.Scary for sure but also realize it is a part of this world we live in.

Well that ain't nothin' - we need to prepare for that asteroid strike so we don't go the way of the dinosaurs!

it felt, in my Atlantic City attic office, very similar to what it feels like when a large truck rumbles by

That was my initial thought, then when it continued I immediately realized it was a quake.

It is amazing that the couple of guys trying to talk down everyone on how this was not a big deal- are missing the F-ing point, like usual.
We do not live in SF, Japan or anywhere else that have the 6-9 level EQ's- maybe you guys have but this was in fact- one of the largest, if not the largest, anyone on this board has ever felt and very surprising for NJ...

And while numbers first thougts may have included one that was a little far fetched- he was just sharing what went through his head at the moment- not trying to state anything rational or factual.
My first thoughts were possible water heater or gas line in my house about to blow- but that makes very little sense either. But, it was the first thing that popped in.

No different then a few years back- i had a little microburst of wind in my backyard- it picked up lawn furniture and tossed them across the pool and flipped over a 10 seat cast aluminum table. We were outside poolside at the time and it was scary as F...
And yet, I know it did not compare to what anyone living in the panhandle is used too.

Sometimes- some of you just want to drop your balls onto the sidewalk when posting on the internet

Biggest quake I've ever felt - house shook for 20-30 seconds and my wife came running into the room I was in and we moved to an interior room, just in case and then we went outside in case of worse aftershocks. Even though the VA quake was bigger, I was further away, in AC, whereas Whitehouse Station is only 20 miles from me. Crazy.

Nothing fell off shelves, though, surprisingly.

But did you wash you apple with dish soap?

Wow, was wondering if anyone had stuff falling off shelves - we didn't, but you're closer to the epicenter. Need someone from Whitehouse or Tewksbury at the epicenter to weigh in...
I grew up and lived in Whitehouse Station for a long time. My very good friend has a business in town still and was outside doing some work outside his store, and said the ground shook and his store did too, pretty strongly. But no damage or anything.

Reactions: RU848789
for you all you nannies please understand that the stress on your typical home in 4.7 quake is far less than 30-40mph winds

some of you are embarrassing yourselves

'thought it was a nuke' lololol
Strong winds dont rattle entire floors, interior glass panels, shelves, etc. in large buildings. If someone percieves something as a bigger/big deal, who's to say they are wrong?

The shaking was modest at best. Nothing fell over, even small things like picture frames or keepsakes were unmoved.

Amusing to read such hysteria.

Obviously the shaking was different from place to place. Lots of reports of violent shaking. Crazy vids on social media too.

Lots of things fell off shelves here

Reactions: BossNJ and RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT