ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just had an earthquake

Outside working near Princeton and didnt know about it til I just checked the boards. Maybe you had to be inside to feel it
My friend works in Highland Park and was in his truck in the parking lot and didn't feel it either.

Reactions: bac2therac
Yes. That one broke things like the Washington Monument. This was very minor. Had wine bottles clinking each other but didn't see anything moving.

There were a couple of schools in our area down in VA which were condemned due to the damage they received from the quake.

for you all you nannies please understand that the stress on your typical home in 4.7 quake is far less than 30-40mph winds

some of you are embarrassing yourselves

'thought it was a nuke' lololol
I'm not trying to make it out for more than it was but please. Stress from a one directional wind is not the same as a shaking from side to side from the basement up thru the structure.

Reactions: BossNJ
Has the Governor declared a state of emergency and closed all State offices yet?

Have they started brining the roads yet?
You’d be the first to complain if you needed them in a real situation and they hadn’t shown. lol

You’d be the first to complain if you needed them in a real situation and they hadn’t shown. lol
That's funny. I am a member of my local fire department. I'd be the one responding. Zingadah!

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

Seriously - what is the medical condition for the handful or so posters who are soo concerned about someone else's nuclear bomb comment?

Get off the guy's jock for the love of god, it's pathetic.

Numbers was clearly just expressing a "feeling" (felt like a bomb went off") but the word Nuke has some freaking on him. Even several I am usually with 98% of the time.

Reactions: RU848789
I was on Zoom call and my monitors and floor starting shaking I though it was my son walking heavy down the stairs at first but then knew right away it was an earthquake. My associates in New Hampshire felt it as well.

Actually its called gaping assholeitis.
sorry. "gaping" is too strong a descriptor. If you've never had "gaping" assholeitis you don't know what you're talking about ;).
See now I can testify to two things in this thread. Having experienced a so called "real" earthquake (SF '89 as noted) and also having Gaping Assoleitis at least a couple of times in my life (although somewhat under control with the proper meds). One should definitely not mix the meds and alcohol when treating GAPE A.

I went through a couple of Ramapo 4.5s locally back in the 80s.
One woke me up and I thought it was the alarm.
A 4.8 isn't much with decent construction but this quake was the shakiest and (surprisingly) the loudest for some reason. I felt the shakes and heard a lot of loud rumbling and thought it was a truck.
When I didn't see a truck I thought the furnace might be acting-up.

Seriously - what is the medical condition for the handful or so posters who are soo concerned about someone else's nuclear bomb comment?

Get off the guy's jock for the love of god, it's pathetic.
Because it doesn’t fit the profile of a nuclear bomb going off. Suggest you read a book or two which will explain this was purely a dumb comparison. This is a poster with a Phd. and that makes it more funny.

Our nephew from LA came out a few years back for his first time outside of Southern Cali. Was here Nov- Dec and the first snowstorm - it was one of those 12 ich or better storms with high winds and maybe about 20 degrees out.
He was all excited to wake up to see it(he was in his 20's) and excited to go outside to shovel the driveway- thought it would be like all the TV shows you see...the look on his face when he realized that the cold air and the blowing snow on his face actually hurt. And then 15 minutes in- he had to stop because he said he didn't understand how he can be sweating so much and also so F-ing cold.

So- everyone has their climate that makes them laugh at others...

Reactions: Plum Street
I went through a couple of Ramapo 4.5s locally back in the 80s.
One woke me up and I thought it was the alarm.
A 4.8 isn't much with decent construction but this quake was the shakiest and (surprisingly) the loudest for some reason. I felt the shakes and heard a lot of loud rumbling and thought it was a truck.
When I didn't see a truck I thought the furnace might be acting-up.
There are people being interviewed … a family in the same hotel room …two felt the tremor… two didn’t. We have more serious worries going on in the world today.

I first thought it was an explosion, but then thought it was a sonic boom from something
one of the great things about growing up as a kid in the 60/70's- having those Jet's go overhead and breaking the sound barrier. Those booms made every kid's day. And riding your bikes behind the mosquito trucks. lol

Stay in your lane and stick to finances. We've had 50-60 mph wind gusts here many times (and higher during Sandy) and with regard to house shaking, those winds led to minor shaking compared to the shaking we just had. That's because the force is distributed completely differently from winds (across the whole house's surface area) vs. an earthquake, which is completely focused on the foundation, creating rotational moment arms above the foundation proportional to the earth's acceleration and the mass of the building, leading to much more shaking, especially on upper floors which are further from the foundation.
dude, you are the biggest asshole on the board who thinks he knows far more than he does. Your insecurity screams for attention. Hell, you get beat on knowledge in the weather threads by the board's landscaper; let that sink in. As for today, anyone who has experience with earthquakes knew exactly what it was and it was nothing more than a rumble. this was small, certainly not anything that any logical or mature man would think is nuke for God's sake.

you are an embarrassment with your posts. Nuke going off hahaha

as I said, a storm puts more stress on your house that what you experience today so no need to run to your fallout shelter

Last edited:
one of the great things about growing up as a kid in the 60/70's- having those Jet's go overhead and breaking the sound barrier. Those booms made every kid's day. And riding your bikes behind the mosquito trucks. lol
You can’t expect these folks to understand this fact. Too many are over hyper about things they can’t control. Mother Nature is a unique creature.

That's funny. When I was stuck on the side of the road in a snowstorm (State of Emergency declared while at work) the plow & brine truck just went around me and buried me & my car up halfway up my door.

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
You are once again missing the point...We are living in NJ, not Cali, Japan, Mexico etc...So, there are very few people with experience with big earthquakes and this will most likely the biggest they ever experience in their lifetime.

And we all know that in the grand scheme of things- it really wasn't a big deal but for those that have never experienced it- let us f-ing talk about it in any way we want to talk about it in our own experience.

Nothing hysterical in my posts. Been simply providing data on the quake and history of quakes. An off-the-cuff comment on what I might have thought for an instant is irrelevant - look at the thread - people initially thought it was all kinds of things, including weather, airplanes, boilers exploding, whatever. Looking at the data, a 4.8 earthquake (2nd biggest in NJ history) is not trivial and everyone who felt the significant shaking was at least a little bit worried for a bit, especially since this was a very shallow quake which is felt more than deeper quakes, which are more common on the west coast, as per below. As the Princeton seismologist, below, said, “This shaking was violent, strong and long.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...attles-buildings-nerves-east-coast-rcna146578

This morning's earthquake occurred on a shallow fault system in New Jersey and shook for about 35 seconds, a Princeton seismologist said.
“The shallower or the closer it is, the more we feel it as humans,” said Frederik J. Simons, a professor of geosciences at Princeton University.
The quake originated at a depth of less than 3 miles, according to USGS.
Earthquakes on the East Coast can be felt at a great distance and can cause more pronounced shaking in comparison to those on the West Coast because rocks in the region are often older, harder and more dense.
“These are competent rocks that transmit energy well,” Simons said.
The earthquake ruptured on the Ramapo fault system, he said. The system is relatively old and considered mostly tectonically inactive. It's at a boundary where the continental and oceanic tectonic plates meet and are stuck together. The plates grind against one another slowly and accumulate stress until something slips.
“There are cracks in it and now and then a little motion accumulates, the stress keeps growing, at very slow rates,” Simons said. “It’s like an old house creaking and groaning.”
He said this was one of the largest earthquakes in New Jersey in recent history. The last notable one was a magnitude-3.1 temblor in Freehold Township in September 2020.
“I’m on campus at Princeton University for the biggest one I’ve felt in a lifetime,” he said. “This shaking was violent, strong and long.”
I have to admit, my initial reaction was damn, I never should have eaten all those baked beans last night.

Reactions: mikemarc1

As I mentioned above, a guy I know from San Fran..who’s experienced tons..said this was not a minor rumble. At least near me. He said the shaking was much worse than many he’s experienced in SF.

Pretty neat science how minor earthquakes in the east produce much more violent shaking then stronger earthquakes out west due to the rock structure.

Reactions: RU848789
LOL! Hysteria?? That's a bit dramatic. As an aside, there were patients here who arrived after who were quite concerned. But hysteria??? Again, LOL!!,
After 3-4 years of living through covid19 nonsense… being subjected to a daily litany of crime… murder… theft… a declining economy… declining US educational system… I would be more concerned with those things . People are triggered quite easily . Over the top postings regarding this 4.7 earthquake. People in tornado sectors must be laughing at this … Nuclear Bomb….

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
After 3-4 years of living through covid19 nonsense… being subjected to a daily litany of crime… murder… theft… a declining economy… declining US educational system… I would be more concerned with those things . People are triggered quite easily . Over the top postings regarding this 4.7 earthquake. People in tornado sectors must be laughing at this … Nuclear Bomb….
Please stop you agenda-driven angry old man.

How does one person mange to embarrass themselves in every thread??

You are once again missing the point...We are living in NJ, not Cali, Japan, Mexico etc...So, there are very few people with experience with big earthquakes and this will most likely the biggest they ever experience in their lifetime.

And we all know that in the grand scheme of things- it really wasn't a big deal but for those that have never experienced it- let us f-ing talk about it in any way we want to talk about it in our own experience.
Very clear what’s going on here and it mirrors the CEsspool. The usual suspects attack people based purely on political differences.

Chum the waters and the piranhas will always swarm.

Because it doesn’t fit the profile of a nuclear bomb going off. Suggest you read a book or two which will explain this was purely a dumb comparison. This is a poster with a Phd. and that makes it more funny.

I could care less if it fits the profile of a nuclear bomb and your obsession with it shows some petty insecurity.

There are people being interviewed … a family in the same hotel room …two felt the tremor… two didn’t. We have more serious worries going on in the world today.
"Feeling it" depended on where people were.
In the highlands (on the fault) everything is granite and gneiss.
Seismic waves are different in rock vs soil and don't travel in predictable uniform rings from center - you can feel more 10 miles away

As I mentioned above, a guy I know from San Fran..who’s experienced tons..said this was not a minor rumble. At least near me. He said the shaking was much worse than many he’s experienced in SF.

Pretty neat science how minor earthquakes in the east produce much more violent shaking then stronger earthquakes out west due to the rock structure.
I already posted my feelings about this one vs. the 89 san fran quake I experienced. Your friend isn't far off if he's talking about your run of the mill quake out there.
(My quessis) SF isn't built on the same rock structure as here and as others have noted they tend to be much deeper.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT