ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kadary Richmond does end up at St. John's

I assume getting Seton Hall's star guard means St. Johns is now a lock to win the NIT?

Just kidding ... Pitino doing a great job of buying himself a top 20 team. At least know I understand why he took the St. John's job in the first place.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
This is akin to your spouse leaving you for your best friend lol

There’s always the MAAC for shoe if NIL an issue to compete in BE

Not enough fans will stop going to games for it to matter.
I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Annual roster turnover is going to make it hard to connect with teams the way fans have in the past. I can easily imagine myself bailing as a fan as soon as a year from now.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Annual roster turnover is going to make it hard to connect with teams the way fans have in the past. I can easily imagine myself bailing as a fan as soon as a year from now.

We just turned over 10 of 13 roster spots
Yet next year is projected to be the most popular in history.

We already know the best 2 players will be on the team for approximately 5 months and nobody (except Green) cares.

It seems poor performance is more of a turn off than roster turnover.

It seems poor performance is more of a turn off than roster turnover.

Of course it is.

But I agree that the current state of massive free agency could be problematic for basketball in particular.

Obviously a winning team is gonna get support regardless of the % of mercenaries

But let’s look at a different example:

a .500 team made up of kids that have been with the team for a number of years, that the fans follow, watch develop year to year , etc..

Vs.

a .500 team made up of a large % of first year mercenaries

Which team is likely to get more fan support?

Yes obviously winning is by far the most important factor but I think the wild free agency nature could, over time, erode fan support a bit . Particularly if the team isn’t killing it.

And I can see some fans being turned away all together regardless of winning

Just my opinion

Reactions: NickRU714
Of course it is.

But I agree that the current state of massive free agency could be problematic for basketball in particular.

Obviously a winning team is gonna get support regardless of the % of mercenaries

But let’s look at a different example:

a .500 team made up of kids that have been with the team for a number of years, that the fans follow, watch develop year to year , etc..

Vs.

a .500 team made up of a large % of first year mercenaries

Which team is likely to get more fan support?

Yes obviously winning is by far the most important factor but I think the wild free agency nature could, over time, erode fan support a bit . Particularly if the team isn’t killing it.

And I can see some fans being turned away all together regardless of winning

Just my opinion

Perhaps.
It just seems people are talking out both sides of their mouth.
Roster upheaval is terrible - unless it's upgrading the roster.

Nobody was shedding tears or up in arms over upheaval when Jalen Miller or Dean Reiber or Derek Simpson or Woolfolk left.
Nobody saying they aren't watching college basketball anymore.
In fact, most relished the opportunity to recruit over those guys and bring in upgrades.

Would we rather have Woolf, Gavin and Simpson back instead of Acuff, Derkack and Martini?

How many are rejoicing over transfer AK being named starter? Replacing a bowl winning QB? Pretty significant roster upheaval.

People only want roster continuity for good players that are winning games.
Bad players and losing games? More roster upheaval the better!!

Perhaps.
It just seems people are talking out both sides of their mouth.
Roster upheaval is terrible - unless it's upgrading the roster.

Nobody was shedding tears or up in arms over upheaval when Jalen Miller or Dean Reiber or Derek Simpson or Woolfolk left.
Nobody saying they aren't watching college basketball anymore.
In fact, most relished the opportunity to recruit over those guys and bring in upgrades.

Would we rather have Woolf, Gavin and Simpson back instead of Acuff, Derkack and Martini?

How many are rejoicing over transfer AK being named starter? Replacing a bowl winning QB? Pretty significant roster upheaval.

People only want roster continuity for good players that are winning games.
Bad players and losing games? More roster upheaval the better!!

Nick - I don’t disagree with a word you typed but the tone of your post appears to prove my point - the tone of your post suggests that you don’t like the roster upheaval. I’m a misinterpreting?

Nick - I don’t disagree with a word you typed but the tone of your post appears to prove my point - the tone of your post suggests that you don’t like the roster upheaval. I’m a misinterpreting?

I couldn’t really care less.
College rosters turn over every year.
There isn’t an 10-15 year veterans in college anyway.

I care about the name on the front and not the back (people say that but don’t actually meant it when they get upset over players leaving).

Griffiths transferring? RHJ declaring for the NBA draft twice and leaving early? Clif leaving? Ace/Dylan spending approx 8 months on campus?
All have zero impact on my interest in following the team.

Just posting observations and the logical conclusions seen on the board.

Two massive personalities between Richmond and Pitino. I’d be more concerned about Kadary still being on the roster in March than about winning games in March at this point if I’m an SJU fan.

lol. Your take is ridiculous. This certainly doesn’t apply to Rutgers
Rutgers fans are touting next season as the most exciting in years and ticket demand is at an all time high . Rutgers will have a roster that has turned over and will turn over again after next season .

lol. Your take is ridiculous. This certainly doesn’t apply to Rutgers
Rutgers fans are touting next season as the most exciting in years and ticket demand is at an all time high . Rutgers will have a roster that has turned over and will turn over again after next season .
Yes Rutgers fans, myself included, are excited for next season.

I can’t imagine myself being equally as excited when we replace Ace and Dylan with guys ranked number 200 and 300 in the transfer portal rankings next year, and Latham Somerville transfers somewhere for a million dollar payday after a strong freshman season.

I couldn’t really care less.
College rosters turn over every year.
There isn’t an 10-15 year veterans in college anyway.

I care about the name on the front and not the back (people say that but don’t actually meant it when they get upset over players leaving).

Griffiths transferring? RHJ declaring for the NBA draft twice and leaving early? Clif leaving? Ace/Dylan spending approx 8 months on campus?
All have zero impact on my interest in following the team.

Just posting observations and the logical conclusions seen on the board.

Fair enough

The best is Kadary asking seton hall fans to not criticize him lol. These kids wanna have their cake and eat it too.

You wanna be paid like a professional athlete, you will be treated like one. You will be boo’d, you will be verbally assaulted when you come into the rock, you will not be welcomed back in south orange

The best is Kadary asking seton hall fans to not criticize him lol. These kids wanna have their cake and eat it too.

You wanna be paid like a professional athlete, you will be treated like one. You will be boo’d, you will be verbally assaulted when you come into the rock, you will not be welcomed back in south orange
Certainly fair play.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Yes Rutgers fans, myself included, are excited for next season.

I can’t imagine myself being equally as excited when we replace Ace and Dylan with guys ranked number 200 and 300 in the transfer portal rankings next year, and Latham Somerville transfers somewhere for a million dollar payday after a strong freshman season.
So your argument is if we stink, fans won’t care as much. But if we win, fans will! It’s always been this way.
Simple . Get good players and fans will watch. It is much better having good players that may be only here a year or two, then having stinky players for 4 years

Never thought of south orange as a welcoming kinda place

So your argument is if we stink, fans won’t care as much. But if we win, fans will! It’s always been this way.
Simple . Get good players and fans will watch. It is much better having good players that may be only here a year or two, then having stinky players for 4 years
In case you haven’t noticed, we’re not very competitive in the portal. And I’m quite certain we aren’t going to land 2 of the top 3 HS recruits every year. In fact, I’d wager that we’ll never do that again.

So where does that leave us? It leaves RU as a mediocrity at best and players that fans have no emotional connection with. That’s a recipe for disaster. And it’s happening all over college basketball right now.

In case you haven’t noticed, we’re not very competitive in the portal. And I’m quite certain we aren’t going to land 2 of the top 3 HS recruits every year. In fact, I’d wager that we’ll never do that again.

So where does that leave us? It leaves RU as a mediocrity at best and players that fans have no emotional connection with. That’s a recipe for disaster. And it’s happening all over college basketball right now.
One day at a time , one year at a time.
We were one of the worst programs in the country from 1992 to 2019! I will take my chances we are not one of the worst programs in the country in the portal era

This from a guy who posts constantly on the Hall board and never has a negative word about them-- a real apologist for them

In case you hadn't noticed, we were not even at the level of mediocrity for 3 decades prior to Pike. Now that we have our act together, you are talking about quitting based on some unknown equation of yet to be determined recruits and transfers that are not even in scope yet. LOL.

Change can be difficult and scary to some. Like it or not, the new rules are what we have. Great thing though is that if you don't like the new rules - you're free to take your ball and go home at any time and the world with Rutgers sports will keep going.

I think that fans aren't overly concerned about player movement, but in every other sport (outside of Soccer, which I don't follow) there are 3 things.

A) Players draft that allows struggling teams the chance to get the best young player.

B) Some sort of salary cap that's managed and penalties are enforced if teams exceed that cap.

C) Can you replace the departing player with a similar talent??

I don't think SHU would care if they lost Richmond to St Johns....it comes down to their inability to replace that tasted piece with just one player, it may take 2 or 3 players to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT