ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Let's hear where you lived off campus during your RU days

Lived in Newell138 three of my four years. 2 years after graduation my buddy and I purchased 94 Guilden Street and we lived upstairs for 4 years while renting the bottom out. After we both got married we rented out both for a few years until we sold it

I lived on Louis St as well— few houses down from Joe’s liquors

Also @240 Somerset - above the Aroma Deli

Then on Suydam st - that was the only one where the landlord was memorable. It was Barood-guy owned 1/2 of NB at the time and was annoying but I can’t remember specifics.

Condict Street...the best off campus location no one has heard off. House is demolished now and replaced by luxury apartments.

Lived all over the place, in mid 80’s:

In a house on Davidson Rd on Busch.

Prosper St

Somerset St in apartment of New Brunswick Pub (next to Greasy Tony’s)

Huntington St

Corner of Wyckoff and Ray and the towers on Livingston.

47 Wyckoff? Lived on the 2nd floor of that corner house. Would go to Kelly's Korner for free wings and dollar Yuenglings Wednesday and Thursday nights.

Good topic. Junior year my friends and I were in a 3-family house on Wyckoff St about a block or so behind the College Ave Student Center. The guys in the other apartments were cool and our landlord was cool as well. There was this ‘caretaker’-type-guy who lived in the basement and was always nice to us, but he was a bit of an odd duck. He was seemingly always either in the basement with the light on (no matter what time of night it was) or in the garage doing weird stuff (building things that never seemed to get finished, sitting with a friend in intense silence listening to political talk radio, etc.)

One of my favorite random memories there was when a bunch of us were home playing PS2 except our one friend who was at work. He’s a great guy but was a bit gullible and would react to almost everything. He had ordered an Aaron Brooks/Saints jersey and it came to the house about a half-hour before he got home. We noticed the packaging wasn’t sealed well and instead of sealing it up, we carefully opened the rest of it, removed the jersey (which was fine) and replaced it with an XL white Hanes t-shirt that we turned into a bootleg jersey using a Sharpie. We then carefully resealed everything, left the package by the door and waited. He got home, sees the package and goes, “oh good, my jersey’s here.”

...I wish we had filmed his reaction when he opened it up. His face ran the gamut of emotions as he held it up for a good 10 seconds without saying much of anything before stammering, “wha??? Whatthefu???? Whatthefu???? Whatthefu??? Whatthefu????” for a good 30 seconds. Keeping the straightest faces possible, we turn to him and act shocked, saying, ‘wow, you got ripped off, you need to call that site and complain’. He then broke off into a tirade about how messed up it was until he finally started putting the pieces together after a few of us couldn’t hold it anymore and started cracking up...and he then turns to everyone and as serious as anything says, ‘you know, it’s illegal to open up someone else’s mail!!’, which basically brought the room down with everyone cracking up/busting his chops, with someone giving him the house phone and telling him to call the police..and he finally cracked a smile and started laughing.

...a lot of good memories there, including when we used our aforementioned friend’s half-busted station wagon to move to our senior year apartment from 9pm-7am at 183 Hamilton Street at the end of May. We looked like a bootleg version of the Colts moving to Indy and it must have taken 7-8 trips, with us packing the car to the point where you could only see out of the windshield and him driving it to the house while the rest of us would walk stuff over, rinse and repeat. I think we had the market cornered on garbage bags and busted-out random scotch-taped cardboard boxes barely holding it together...I just about dropped onto my mattress on the floor at 7:30 and probably didn’t even stir until 4pm.

Joe P.

We may have lived in the same building as I just mentioned in a prior post above - 47 Wyckoff. It was a 3 unit house, and we also had a odd guy who lived in the basement with access to the garage. Name was Bill. Landlord also owned Pete's Liquors and Bill would work there. Bill always had a keg tapped and pouring in his basement apartment. Unfortunately he was inebriated all the time and clearly had a problem.

Reactions: JoeRU0304

Prosper St

Huntington St

The house across from Silver Lot on Davidson? Always wondered if someone lived there

47 Wyckoff? Lived on the 2nd floor of that corner house. Would go to Kelly's Korner for free wings and dollar Yuenglings Wednesday and Thursday nights.

That's the one. We had the bottom.

Oh gotta a great story. 80 Guilden (couple of doors down from Krauzers) was a rickety but reasonably well maintained 2 story house and had its own parking lot (bonus!)

So over thanksgiving break I went home for the holiday. Our first basketball game was that Saturday so I was supposed to meet one of my housemates at the house and then go to the game. Getting out of the shower at my home, he calls me and says "you better get over here we were robbed". So I rushed over to NB as quick as I could--what a mess. House was completely turned over, hypodermic syringes and crack vials and condoms all over, food gone as well as stereos and CDs ,a very expensive guitar stolen (my bad shouln't have left it there), many clothes taken. Totally sucked.

had detectives from NB over , never caught the bastards.

We may have lived in the same building as I just mentioned in a prior post above - 47 Wyckoff. It was a 3 unit house, and we also had a odd guy who lived in the basement with access to the garage. Name was Bill. Landlord also owned Pete's Liquors and Bill would work there. Bill always had a keg tapped and pouring in his basement apartment. Unfortunately he was inebriated all the time and clearly had a problem.

Yeah definitely same house; I was trying to remember the number and ‘47’ kept coming to mind. I remember our landlord owning the liquor store and we’d drop the rent off to him there sometimes. I feel bad that Bill had the substance abuse problems; I remember he pretty much always had 3-6 open beer cans with him in the garage. We were there 01-02; we had the 2nd floor unit that faced the side street.

Joe P.

Last edited:
Oh gotta a great story. 80 Guilden (couple of doors down from Krauzers) was a rickety but reasonably well maintained 2 story house and had its own parking lot (bonus!)

So over thanksgiving break I went home for the holiday. Our first basketball game was that Saturday so I was supposed to meet one of my housemates at the house and then go to the game. Getting out of the shower at my home, he calls me and says "you better get over here we were robbed". So I rushed over to NB as quick as I could--what a mess. House was completely turned over, hypodermic syringes and crack vials and condoms all over, food gone as well as stereos and CDs ,a very expensive guitar stolen (my bad shouln't have left it there), many clothes taken. Totally sucked.

had detectives from NB over , never caught the bastards.
I stayed over most of the holidays one year.. had a project to complete... man, the place is like a ghost town.. not surprising our place got targeted to be a crack house for a time.. I'd hope security cameras have prevented such things these days...

Davidson dorm freshman year. Frat house on Union st soph year. Survived one year on Remsen ave junior year in a rental place owned by our fraternity cook.

Prosper St

Huntington St
Lived at 125 Somerset in 87-88. Might have been right across the street from you.

Year before was my first year at RU. I had transferred and I found housing about a week before the semester started in a townhouse on the corner of George St and Commercial right off Douglass. 7 people, co-ed, in the 3 BR with me and another guy in makeshift BRs constructed in the basement. We weren't the only unit in the complex where the owner did this and a month before the end of the year the fire marshal came through and posted all the units. I stayed on my buddies" coach the last month.

Next year was at 125 , living in bunks I constructed in the front living room of the first floor. Only 5 of us in that one but no living room so the whole house kind of congregated in me and my roommates bedroom.

Last 1/2 semester was four of us from 125 in a 1 BR at the rat trap known as the Century Apartments (kind of across from the Golden Rail). All four of us had an extra semester so we toughed it out. I built 4 bunks in what should have been the LR (because it was bigger) and we stuck a couch and a chair and a TV in the 8x8 other room.

And I wouldn't change a thing. Great times.

I was in Quad 3 at Livingston for four years. I had one semester left and wanted to sign back to the dorm I had, but they decided to make Livingston a freshmen-only campus, so I had to enter the housing lottery and got screwed with a bad number, so I ended up in the overflow housing at the Crowne Plaza in Somerset. Once I finished that last semester, I moved to the apartment upstairs from Giovanneli's on Easton Ave. for 6 months. That corner was a fun and convenient place to live. Terrible place to find parking though.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
56 Guilden Street and then on to Birchwood Apartments.

1978-79 Hardenburg dorm
1979-80 Century Apts on Easton
1980-81 birchwood apts #42
19881-82 house on Lewis St. (Cant recall the number)

45 Lewis and something Cortland a block from Easton.
45 Louis st.

Before or after the serial killer Ned Snelgrove? My wife lived there when he lived there and was chopping up co-eds. He was upstairs and my wife and 4 friends downstairs.

Reactions: RUskoolie
128 Guilden, the dead end block in the shadow of St. Peter's hospital. Pete's Liquors on Easton was a block away across the parking lot. Started out fine but we let it become a dump by the end. There were 9 guys jammed in there including a guy in the basement. Good times...

Reactions: Local Shill
40 Hardenburg. Once this Girl got so drunk, she turned white. Thank God, RWJ was just down the road, so we dropped her off there and she ultimately recovered, after getting her stomach pumped.

Reactions: RUskoolie
After freshman year in Campbell moved to Birchwood for the next three years. My roommate and I went to look at them when they were just being finished up. We met the superintendent ( John) and worked out a great deal. If we helped paint we would get the whole year free of charge. So sophomore year we paid nothing to live there other then utilities. Great times at Birchwood but will always remember the Blizzard of 78 and being snowed in. But the liquor stores were open and rolling the kegs back to our apartments was not easy. a shout out to the Ale and Wich.
My next deal with John was also a good one/ I had Triumph TR6 and John was a motor head and part time racer at Lime Rock. Deal was if he could "soup" up my car and let him race it I got the fastest damn TR6 on the streets.
Always remember one night coming home on Rt1 a Porsche pulled up next to me at a light. I blew his doors off and he asked me to pull over just to understand how the heck he got blown away. BTW lost my license within 8 months.

45 Louis st.

Before or after the serial killer Ned Snelgrove? My wife lived there when he lived there and was chopping up co-eds. He was upstairs and my wife and 4 friends downstairs.

45 Lewis was probably 1982-83. I chopped up no women.

Haha nice. I was in the upstairs unit.
We convinced the owner to gut a bathroom and re-side the front since taking over. Also had to put a deadbolt on the attic so no one sleeps up there haha. It's usually rented to a big group each year.

Reactions: S_Janowski
It's gone. It's all gone.

Either that or I've completely forgotten where I lived, which isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

Jesus I just read the wiki on him and friggin NJ let him out early on his first conviction and he went out and murdered again. F-ing ridiculous.
His dad was a DA or Assist DA in Connecticut. They could never solve the first one. Old man worked the deal.

54 Easton ave
Above a coffee shop and across from stuff your face with 7 other roommate’s . Place had a bar built into it, was a former restaurant with crooked floors

I did briefly . Always admired plum street for it’s grittiness and old time new brunswick feel before the hospital built up
Our youngest son who graduated last year lived on Plum Street his senior year. His last month there they had a drive-by shooting two doors down.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT