ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Looks like Rutgers not the only P5 with difficulty getting transfer waivers.

As expected, the transferring is getting goofy. Even the grad transfer option, a once-noble system to reward players for sticking with the academics, now seems fishy. Maryland picked up starting linebackers from Clemson and Ohio State, and a likely starting quarterback and receiver from Virginia Tech. Each was either granted some kind of waiver or graduated early from their original university. It's nice to get that kind of talent (I will concede my hypocrisy even before the season starts), but it seems like we're sliding down a slippery slope.

On the other hand, many of the perennial top ten programs have been playing fast and loose with the "amateur/student athlete" concept for a long time, so maybe the slippery slope was already there. But it's not fair that some kids/schools get these waivers and some don't.

It probably helps if you have someone once connected with your program who has moved on to a position with the NCAA. Having strong connections with someone on the inside would help immensely. I can’t remember Rutgers ever having someone on NCAA selection committees or rules committees or etc., etc.

As expected, the transferring is getting goofy. Even the grad transfer option, a once-noble system to reward players for sticking with the academics, now seems fishy. Maryland picked up starting linebackers from Clemson and Ohio State, and a likely starting quarterback and receiver from Virginia Tech. Each was either granted some kind of waiver or graduated early from their original university. It's nice to get that kind of talent (I will concede my hypocrisy even before the season starts), but it seems like we're sliding down a slippery slope.

On the other hand, many of the perennial top ten programs have been playing fast and loose with the "amateur/student athlete" concept for a long time, so maybe the slippery slope was already there. But it's not fair that some kids/schools get these waivers and some don't.

Grad Transfers do not need Waivers. They just need to show proof they have graduated and transfer to a school that has a graduate program that their prior school does not offer.

Undergrad transfers do need a waiver.

Reactions: tico brown
Grad Transfers do not need Waivers. They just need to show proof they have graduated and transfer to a school that has a graduate program that their prior school does not offer.

Agreed with the way Grad Transfers are done. If you graduated with eligibility, you earned the right to transfer to another college if you choose to. Some go, some stay. Its the undergraduate waivers that needs some tinkering here and there.

God I hate the current system. I wish they would allow one transfer without penalty of sitting out per student athlete. I would then suggest having a second transfer with a year penalty and no exceptions or waivers. Would also like to see a transfer window of limited duration following the season. Maybe end of NC game to the Feb signing date. It is getting to the point where you have to recruit your own roster every year just to keep your players.

Correct. But it seems kind of, um, surprising to me that athletes are increasingly able to graduate from major universities in three years while playing a D1 sport. That's what I meant by "fishy" for the grad transfers.

The hardship waiver for non-grads is also fishy and inconsistently granted.

What is the status of our Michigan grad transfer?

It appears he had to take another online course this summer, from a different college than Michigan altogether. Waiting on a grade i guess, and then the paperwork process, and then the admission process. Who knows when or even if he makes it to campus.

And zero is being mentioned about Bolds.

Correct. But it seems kind of, um, surprising to me that athletes are increasingly able to graduate from major universities in three years while playing a D1 sport. That's what I meant by "fishy" for the grad transfers.

Why would their original schools grant fishy degrees? Most are graduating in four years, and some are guys who enrolled early. They are all taking classes in the summer.

They are not graduating in 3. They are mostly graduating in 4. You have 5 years to play 4. So if you redshirt 1 year and graduate on time in 4 years you will have played 3 years and have 1 year of eligibility left.

They are not graduating in 3. They are mostly graduating in 4. You have 5 years to play 4. So if you redshirt 1 year and graduate on time in 4 years you will have played 3 years and have 1 year of eligibility left.

Yes, mostly, but 3 calendar-year graduations are becoming more common, so combined with a red-shirt year, grads are transferring with two years of eligibility. Maryland just picked up two (at least) of these.

Whatever, no big deal I guess. Bring on the season!

It appears he had to take another online course this summer, from a different college than Michigan altogether. Waiting on a grade i guess, and then the paperwork process, and then the admission process. Who knows when or even if he makes it to campus.

And zero is being mentioned about Bolds.
Just penciled in 3 more losses

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT